Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosemariero6

PIF - Planted in Fountain!

rosemariero6
10 years ago

Laptop is on the blink & most pix taken are on it. So, this one pic taken with cell phone (& successfully uploaded to Photobucket) is all I can show for now. I'm hoping it doesn't show up sideways!

Click for larger view
{{gwi:671874}}

Comments (18)

• hijole
    10 years ago

Rosemarie, Your bird bath is looking fabulous! love the colors and the way all the dif. plants complement each other.

Greg

• brodyjames_gw
    10 years ago

Rosemarie, it looks awesome! I've been wanting to do that too!

Nancy

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Ro,that looks wonderful.Mine is only one tier,but that's what I did with mine when it sprung a leak.I just have one plant in mine,the grey kalanchoe.

It's easier to take care of since we don't have to get on our knees to work in it.
    Can't wait to see it a year from now when it fills in.
    Kathi

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

And the drainage? Did you drill holes in the fountain? It looks great.

That little topknot on the top could use some Senecio rowleyana or Senecio radicans cascading downwards for "water".

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

It's a good thing it didn't come out sideways!!!!! LOL So is that beautiful Echeveria in front lower right E. 'Afterglow' or cante or ?????? And is the one lower left E. colorata or 'Tippy' or maybe chihuahuensis???? All are neat!!!!

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone! It is a plan I'm happy to see come to fruition after years of "wanting" & dreaming!

It took a long time finding a fountain I was happy with~looked at many, starting last November. I have enough plants to fill 30 of these, but that would get cramped! You should do one, Nancy!

Yes, Kathi, can't wait to see how it fills in! Should be easier to work with after we raise the soil level with fill dirt.

Hoov, my sister also asked if I planted in top (pineapple?). I said I might, as soon as I could see up there! I do have Senecio rowleyanus on the lower tiers for the "water" effect. Couldn't find any S. radicans-but saw 1fountain at the nursery that was overrun by it. I think the String of Pearls would look great up there! Thanks!

The 2 top tiers already had holes (for water dripping). I had hubby drill many holes around inside perimeter of bottom bowl. I wished I had asked him to drill more. Didn't want to try his patience after making sure it was centered & level with each piece added. We shall see how it holds up.

Howard, yes, it is Echeveria 'Afterglow' in bottom, front. And the other is E. colorata (but I had always called 'Tippy' till I found otherwise)!

Glad you've enjoyed! I had fun creating it!

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Looks like you took the plunge and bought that fountain.

Great job! Wonderful display of plants you have there!

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Beautiful! All those birds can take a dirt bath! It'll be spilling over in no time. I see you already have the Senecio rowleyanus ready to do it's thing.

My favorite part of this photo is the Hosebush.

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Very cool!

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

Well done! Next up, Agave-sized! ;-O

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, again, folks!

Yes indeed, Camellia, pulled the trigger on that baby! As my hubby says, we can "put a fork in it"! Now on to the rest of the yard.

Ha ha, funny thing about that bush, Ryan, it grows like a snake! :P Just waiting on the Senecio roots to take hold before throwing the strings over the side.

If you mean an urn sized for Agaves, GeeS, I have an idea in mind for some special guys, like my 'Blue Glow'. :)

Lots of ideas, so little time!

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay-since laptop is out of commission, things are getting tricky around here! Got email working on my phone, which enabled me to send pix I had in Facebook to Photobucket. Whew! Now got app loaded on KindleFire & think I figured how to get links! Yay! Can only do one at a time this way~ so we shall see how this works out. More pix of the sux in the fountain. Maybe some installation pix as well.

Another snafu~ seems it tells me it copies the link, but then cannot paste it here. Going to swap over to my phone! Back in a few to edit this!

{{gwi:671876}} {{gwi:671877}} {{gwi:671878}}

This post was edited by rosemariero6 on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 17:04

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More!
    {{gwi:671879}} {{gwi:671881}} {{gwi:671882}} {{gwi:671884}} {{gwi:671886}} {{gwi:671888}} {{gwi:671890}} {{gwi:671892}} {{gwi:671895}} {{gwi:671898}} {{gwi:671900}}

• paul_
    10 years ago

Wow, a lot of landscaping being done there! Did you decide to get rid of the lawn? (I'm assuming you had a grass lawn originally there.)

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, there once was a "lawn". :) It has been gone for the better part of 2 yrs. Have been removing trees, roots, rototillering, pulling weeds, new windows/stucco/paint, potting up plants to transplant, pulling weeds, covered w/plastic, gone through rainy seasons/flood, pulling weeds (oh, did I mention those already?), cleaning giant cat litter box, digging out side yard for wall/fence, staging plants in back yard, making plans, hunting for fountain, dealing w/life issues, changing plans (sev times), making progress & having setbacks...so, YES, this has been quite the project!

I would post lots of pix of what yard used to look like, but most are on my laptop (on the fritz at the moment), & having trouble finding examples in the multiple online sources I use for pix!

Flooding I mentioned (had to be figured into design-raise the soil one-hope for better drainage):
    {{gwi:671923}} {{gwi:671924}} {{gwi:671926}}
    Long ago, pruning our Bauhinia tree (above) remaining tree stump recently pulled out.
    Below, part of previous side driveway garden, with some sux mixed in. And, finally, found ONE Pic of lawn, when Chitalpa tree was still there.
    {{gwi:671928}} {{gwi:671930}}

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Great job, I love it!! Looks really nice...

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

It's going to be fabulous when it's all planted. Lots of Agaves and Aloes?

Sure would be nice to have a 2005 level of rain again.

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, puglvr & hoovb! Yes, lots of Aloe & Agave...plus Aeonium, Kalanchoe, Sedum, Crassula...a little bit of everything, I suspect!

Yeah, wouldn't that be great?! The 2005 rains!