Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PIF - Planted in Fountain!

Posted by rosemariero6 z10 /ss24 So. Calif. (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 12:56

Laptop is on the blink & most pix taken are on it. So, this one pic taken with cell phone (& successfully uploaded to Photobucket) is all I can show for now. I'm hoping it doesn't show up sideways!

Click for larger view
Fountain sux photo image_zps7f384d19.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PIF - Planted in Fountain!

Rosemarie, Your bird bath is looking fabulous! love the colors and the way all the dif. plants complement each other.

Greg

o

Rosemarie, it looks awesome! I've been wanting to do that too!

Nancy

o

Ro,that looks wonderful.Mine is only one tier,but that's what I did with mine when it sprung a leak.I just have one plant in mine,the grey kalanchoe.

It's easier to take care of since we don't have to get on our knees to work in it.
Can't wait to see it a year from now when it fills in.
Kathi

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 18:40

And the drainage? Did you drill holes in the fountain? It looks great.

That little topknot on the top could use some Senecio rowleyana or Senecio radicans cascading downwards for "water".

o

It's a good thing it didn't come out sideways!!!!! LOL So is that beautiful Echeveria in front lower right E. 'Afterglow' or cante or ?????? And is the one lower left E. colorata or 'Tippy' or maybe chihuahuensis???? All are neat!!!!

o

Thank you, everyone! It is a plan I'm happy to see come to fruition after years of "wanting" & dreaming!

It took a long time finding a fountain I was happy with~looked at many, starting last November. I have enough plants to fill 30 of these, but that would get cramped! You should do one, Nancy!

Yes, Kathi, can't wait to see how it fills in! Should be easier to work with after we raise the soil level with fill dirt.

Hoov, my sister also asked if I planted in top (pineapple?). I said I might, as soon as I could see up there! I do have Senecio rowleyanus on the lower tiers for the "water" effect. Couldn't find any S. radicans-but saw 1fountain at the nursery that was overrun by it. I think the String of Pearls would look great up there! Thanks!

The 2 top tiers already had holes (for water dripping). I had hubby drill many holes around inside perimeter of bottom bowl. I wished I had asked him to drill more. Didn't want to try his patience after making sure it was centered & level with each piece added. We shall see how it holds up.

Howard, yes, it is Echeveria 'Afterglow' in bottom, front. And the other is E. colorata (but I had always called 'Tippy' till I found otherwise)!

Glad you've enjoyed! I had fun creating it!

o

Looks like you took the plunge and bought that fountain.

Great job! Wonderful display of plants you have there!

o

Beautiful! All those birds can take a dirt bath! It'll be spilling over in no time. I see you already have the Senecio rowleyanus ready to do it's thing.

My favorite part of this photo is the Hosebush.

o

Very cool!

o

Well done! Next up, Agave-sized! ;-O

o

Thanks, again, folks!

Yes indeed, Camellia, pulled the trigger on that baby! As my hubby says, we can "put a fork in it"! Now on to the rest of the yard.

Ha ha, funny thing about that bush, Ryan, it grows like a snake! :P Just waiting on the Senecio roots to take hold before throwing the strings over the side.

If you mean an urn sized for Agaves, GeeS, I have an idea in mind for some special guys, like my 'Blue Glow'. :)

Lots of ideas, so little time!

o

Okay-since laptop is out of commission, things are getting tricky around here! Got email working on my phone, which enabled me to send pix I had in Facebook to Photobucket. Whew! Now got app loaded on KindleFire & think I figured how to get links! Yay! Can only do one at a time this way~ so we shall see how this works out. More pix of the sux in the fountain. Maybe some installation pix as well.

Another snafu~ seems it tells me it copies the link, but then cannot paste it here. Going to swap over to my phone! Back in a few to edit this!

photo photo_zps4885345f.jpg  photo photo_zps4f78f9c3.jpg  photo photo_zps3709b84d.jpg

This post was edited by rosemariero6 on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 17:04

o

More!
 photo photo_zps1e56340a.jpg  photo photo_zpsd7a4155f.jpg  photo photo_zpsc1e68436.jpg  photo photo_zps6e0b434c.jpg  photo 0472rowsgrdnwall100313_zps63b343f5.jpg Install pedestal 4 fountain photo image_zps27058587.jpg Brick work photo image_zpsb00d432b.jpg Fountain installation photo image_zpsfd69ee59.jpg Brick work & fountain photo image_zpsaeeec85c.jpg Tom drills more drain holes photo image_zpscb0872bb.jpg Color I wanted originally photo image_zps68ab1331.jpg

o

Wow, a lot of landscaping being done there! Did you decide to get rid of the lawn? (I'm assuming you had a grass lawn originally there.)

photo smiley4415_zps7d860d3c.gif

o

Yes, there once was a "lawn". :) It has been gone for the better part of 2 yrs. Have been removing trees, roots, rototillering, pulling weeds, new windows/stucco/paint, potting up plants to transplant, pulling weeds, covered w/plastic, gone through rainy seasons/flood, pulling weeds (oh, did I mention those already?), cleaning giant cat litter box, digging out side yard for wall/fence, staging plants in back yard, making plans, hunting for fountain, dealing w/life issues, changing plans (sev times), making progress & having setbacks...so, YES, this has been quite the project!

I would post lots of pix of what yard used to look like, but most are on my laptop (on the fritz at the moment), & having trouble finding examples in the multiple online sources I use for pix!

Flooding I mentioned (had to be figured into design-raise the soil one-hope for better drainage):
 photo 0103050249Flwrbedcvrdlakegoesoutfar.jpg Grdn nr porch n Woody photo 0629051375GrdnnrporchnWoody.jpg 02 Straight on Bauhinia strip 2 bk photo 02Showsneighborsfencetopiariedtree-.jpg
Long ago, pruning our Bauhinia tree (above) remaining tree stump recently pulled out.
Below, part of previous side driveway garden, with some sux mixed in. And, finally, found ONE Pic of lawn, when Chitalpa tree was still there.
 photo 0802052244Morefillingin.jpg White Cloud photo IMG_8169.jpg

o

Great job, I love it!! Looks really nice...

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 19:56

It's going to be fabulous when it's all planted. Lots of Agaves and Aloes?

Sure would be nice to have a 2005 level of rain again.

o

Thanks, puglvr & hoovb! Yes, lots of Aloe & Agave...plus Aeonium, Kalanchoe, Sedum, Crassula...a little bit of everything, I suspect!

Yeah, wouldn't that be great?! The 2005 rains!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here