Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Please. lets' see JUST your Jade plant pictures and collections.

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

Here are a few of mine taken a few minutes ago....Just a small collection, but they bring me much joy, especially in color for all that warm sun..Beside these, I have two gouge ones at work and many more cuttings developing roots..

{{gwi:673443}}

{{gwi:673444}}

{{gwi:673445}}

{{gwi:673446}}

Mike

Comments (90)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm in Jade Heaven....fantastic presentation!

Mike, we'll be in touch! ;)

Josh

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

OMG...those are absolutely Spectacular... lzrddr!! Words cannot describe just how beautiful they all are, just amazing! I've never seen a variegated one like that before...Wow! Thanks so much for posting!

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Pug! I love how nicely shaped your jade looks! My son loves your little misfit in his Holloween costume. Too cute!

Andrew - your newest additions are beautiful! And has me wanting to order more! LOL

Tom - I love your jades, especially the middle one! Is it a gollum?

Lzrddr - Oh my....! Your Jade collection is admittedly breathtaking!! I am especially fond of (and am a very big fan of) your Crassula ovata unknown cultivar!! It's so beautifully lit and ginormous!! Thank you for sharing your wonderful treasures!

Bo

p.s after seeing all these beautiful jades; I've decided I need more! ( :

• Marie Tran
    13 years ago

OMG, lzrddr I can't say any words....people said it all....
    But I want to repeat what Nancy said......
    Those are absolutely Spectacular...Wow! Thanks so much for posting!

• TT, zone 5b MA
    13 years ago

Bo -

I think I bought that one as hobbit a fews years back...but, frankly, I get confused...

Tom

13 years ago

'Hobbit' it is!
    But given the amount of color shown, perhaps it is the 'Red Horn Tree' that we've seen lately -
    the Hummel's version of the 'Hobbit.' Great little plant, either way.

Josh

• TT, zone 5b MA
    13 years ago

Josh -

I can thank a 400w blue Eye Hortilux metal halide bulb for that color...amazing, right?

T

• jonaskragebaer
    13 years ago

i know this thread is about showing our own jades, but i just tought that u guys would love to see this one :)

this picture was taken in the copenhagen botanical gardens c/s greenhouse, my gf is standing next to it and she is about 1,6 meters tall just so you have something to compare it with :)
    {{gwi:673583}}

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Wow!! That is one hell of a jade! I wonder how old it is? I love seeing the gnarled bark and that trunk is really something!!
    aNDREW

13 years ago

Jonas,
    I agree with Andrew....a fantastic Tree!
    If your girlfriend is about 5 feet 3 inches tall, that Jade must be over 7 feet (more than 2 meters)!
    Thank you for sharing.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tom, I see you are growing in the gritty mix..Fantastic..You actually put lights over yours? How long and how close? I might do the same with a couple of mine this winter...Thanks

That tree is HUGE Jonas..Thank you for sharing..Wow..Make's you feel young or old, depending on your perspective..I only wish I had one that big and greenhouse to set it in..

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

I agree that Jade Tree is AMAZING!! Wow a 7ft tall Jade tree...! Thanks for sharing that picture with us Jonas!!

• TT, zone 5b MA
    13 years ago

Mike -

My larger C. ovata gollum was situated under a 1000w Blue Metal halide (eye hortilux) - but I recently relocated it to a sunny, south facing window in my living room. My other C. ovata (more common form?) is in the same place.

My hobbit is about 18 inches from the 400w metal halide light. Seems to really like it there. The lights go on at 7AM, off at 6:30PM.

T

• jonaskragebaer
    13 years ago

Andrew:
    i searched the web to see if i could find some info on the plant, and the closest i got to an age was somewhere around 100 years :)

• Marie Tran
    13 years ago

Wow....thanks Jonas for taking the picture.
    Jade plants bring us many surprises each post....
    We still love it. What a tree....

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

100 years old! Magnificent. Must be a site to see!
    Andrew

• emerald1951
    13 years ago

Hi Mike and all...
    I finally got a picture of my littlest jade, you can see it is just starting to shoot out new growth...
    and of course that will be shade for the little fisherman...lol
    {{gwi:673584}}
    thanks to everyone for posting all the great pictures..and to Mike for starting this thread....and Mike I really like the new jade you have the one in the middle of the group picture.....
    I really like jades......linda

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

OMG!! Ben those are some amazing Jades you have. I LOVE them all. Thanks for the beautiful pictures!

Ben I can't find an email for you on your page...and the one you posted is incomplete...PLEASE email me on (MY Page)... Thanks so much...I'm interested in a cutting of your 'Red Horn Tree'.

13 years ago

Ben!
    You have some incredible varieties!
    The Japanese ovata, the variegated 'Gollum,' and the 'Red Horn Tree' are excellent.
    I would love to discuss a possible trade, if such a thing would be of interest to you.

I've heard that the 'Christmas Cheer' has a pink flower, but I don't know much about it.
    I'm just now rooting cuttings of this variety.

Josh

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hi Ben,
    You have a beautiful collection of jades!
    I too would be interested in a cutting of your Red Horn Jade. Please email me at yaslan72@comcat.net. Thanks!

Bo

• valyn
    13 years ago

Ben,

If you still have a cutting from your Red Horn Jade I would love one. Please contact me at vljohnson215@charter.net
    Thank you,
    Val

• bens2bens
    13 years ago

sorry, i forgot to activate my email for other members. I changed this now.

I have 3 cuttings of "red horn tree" ... 2 smaller ones and one like the cutting i have send to Doug. I will contact the interested people tomorrow per email. Right now i don´t have much time.

The "gollum variegata" and "ougonkagetsu" are still quite small as you can see on the pictures ... i think i can give away cuttings not until next year.

regards,
    Ben

• emerald1951
    13 years ago

Hi Ben, those are beautiful jades, I have never seen any like that....can I ask where you got them?....
    thanks for posting...linda

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ben now that I am home from work and can see your pictures, I have to say that those are some of the nicest plants I ever saw...THANK YOU for posting them here.....Wow....

I only wish I had one of those!

Mike,,:-)

• bens2bens
    13 years ago

hi,

i have got the cultivars from differents sources ... nurseries and private people. Thanks to the internet you can surch worldwide. "Gollum Variegata" and "Ougonkagetsu" i got from a japanese guy. They really have some nice cultivars in Japan.

Recently i got cuttings of a cultivar called "Sinkagetsu" (Sin = new; kagetsu = synonymous with jadetree). According to the japanese seller this should be a hybrid of "Sunset" and another Jadetree (maybe obliqua).
    This is a picture of "sinkagetsu" from Japan ...
    {{gwi:673599}}

my plants don´t show the white margins yet ... but like "sunset" this feature should be seasonal and depends on the amount of sunlight. So i have to wait for a while before i know if my plants are really the same cultivar as on the picture.

Another nice cultivar is "Solana" from Russia ... it looks like "tricolor" but with a yellow variegation instead of white. I´m still trying to get one.

Ben

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ben, I left you an e-mail..I hope you got it..:-)

Mike

13 years ago

Ben,
    you show us yet another Jade that is totally new to me!
    How exciting to see these!

Josh

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Awesome Jade Ben...you have quite a "rare" collection. That Japanese cultivar is something else!! Gorgeous color!

Wish some of them would eventually make it here to the US.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

I am not sure if anyone can help or not, but I am wondering if there are any other companies in countries like Japan that people could buy them from.

After seeing how much the phytosanitary certificate is and shipping, it may be a waste of time to look into it but I wonder if maybe a couple people got together and did a group order if it would be more reasonable.
    Andrew

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Andrew..I don't think anyone from around the world sells these unusuals even on e-bay..Sheeesh..

Why is it that so many different plants never make a day view in real life here?

One can only wish..lol

Mike

• emerald1951
    13 years ago

Hey all, I hope I am not to late I finally got some pictures of just my jades......Pug do you remember the one in the left corner....its still growing......
    {{gwi:673600}}
    and my fat stubby one....its as big arround as a pop can and also as tall as one....
    {{gwi:673601}}
    and theses two...their about 12" tall and as big arround as a egg....I am trying Al's mix in the plant on the right, (thank you Mike for the mix) and napa floor dry on the left plant....
    {{gwi:673602}}
    thanks for looking.......linda

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hey Mike,

What a great thread on these beautiful jades....I'm speechless...

You all have done a great job....CHEERS!!

Laura in VB

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

I had no idea that jades came in so many colors! Thanks for the beautiful show and tell!

13 years ago

Sun Worshipper, most of us weren't aware, either!
    This Thread has been a revelation of unique Crassula!

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Fantastic Linda..Wow that fatty should fill in soon and make a great Bonsai..Great Job!

Laura....Wow..It is SO great to see you here, all the way from the plumie side..;-)

Thank you for coming for a visit and your nice comments!

Just as I was speechless about your plants, mine almost may look as good as yours...I miss those beautiful pictures you took of yours by the pool..Don't you just wish those warm days lasted longer?
    Someday, you will have to come here and show us some of your succulents, includining Adenium..
    Take care and I will have to visit you again..
    Thank you Laura..:-) CHEERS to you too!

Sunworshiper, YW...You might want to catch a ride with us and try one..

Josh..Ditto! How are ya? :-)))

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi Linda, I certainly do recognize that one, I'm so glad its alive and doing well...Congrats! You're never too late to post pictures. Hopefully I will post some as soon as I get them to color up a little. Great plants!

So, so true...who knew there were all these rare and beautiful Jades to discover! Can't wait to get my hands on some of those rare ones someday...

• threas
    13 years ago

Beautiful photos of spectacular jades! Everyone has such beautiful displays and containers!
    Bo, sent me Hummel's Sunset and a compacta. It's her fault, I'm addicted now! Actually, I'm going to blame everyone one of you! LOL
    Thanks for posting your wonderful collections!

Theresa

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Are the red colored jades like Hummel's sunset any more difficult to grow than the plain green sort? In particular I'm interested in their heat+humidity tolerance since I'm in FL. I really like the red coloration and might like to give one a try.

I recently bought a Crassula arborescens (Silver Dollar Jade). Too early to tell how it will fare for me. I bought it on sale at Home Depot. They had a clearance table of cacti and succulents that had been sitting there unprotected through the summer rain. Most of the plants on that table were dead from rot, but this one looked surprisingly good. So I took that as a good sign that maybe it it isn't as sensitive to extra water. Anybody know?

• jonaskragebaer
    13 years ago

to sun_worshiper
    in my experience jades arent that sensitive when i comes to water, we have ours standing outside during the whole summer and take them inside around the middle of november, and our summers are quite wet and the autumn is even wetter and our jades seem to be doing fine including the c. arborescens even in cold temps.

13 years ago

I do find that the Crassula arborescens, with its large leaves, is a much thirstier plant.
    I water mine far more often than I do my other Crassula.

Josh

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Excellent! Glad to hear that Crassula arborescens is a more thirsty variety. I am slowly planning landscaping part of my yard with succulents. Before I relandscape, I am in the process of trying out individual specimens to see what fares best in my climate. Sounds like Crassula arborescens might be a good landscape candidate.

jonaskragebaer - I have to say, I know very little about Denmark. During your wet summers, how hot is it there? My (admittedly limited) trials with succulents show that it isn't the wet alone, but the wet+heat that does them in. Seems like succulents most hate the combination of high humidity combined with nighttime temps not dropping below 80 degrees F.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Theresa..Thank you for looking and your comments...

Hi Pug...:-))))))))))))))))))))))))))..P.s..where is the Jade that you whacked back really hard that grew so nice and full everyone is raving about? How are you cutting doing too?

Linda...I have been menaing to get to the post office real soon..Got something for you..:-)

Josh.....:-). I had no idea this jade could handle more watering..What do they look like?

Mike

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

A bit late, but here are pics of my 2 jades. The green one I started from cuttings about 4 years ago. The other one is Crassula arborescens, which I bought at a bargain table this summer.

{{gwi:673603}}

{{gwi:673604}}

• dpolson37
    13 years ago

Ok, you all have inspired me to post photos
    of my jades. Great photos from everyone.
    I never knew that jades could get so huge
    and have such large trunks. I also never
    realized you could whack the heck out of
    jades and have such good results.
    I'm a newbie to jades, but loving it.

Here is a photo of a 2 year old cutting I rooted.
    Mama jade didn't survive the move to Florida from
    Virginia so I'm glad I took this cutting when I did.
    {{gwi:673605}}From Garden 2010

This is a jade I bought at Home Depot. It too
    is about 2 years old. I've whacked it once
    and will more than likely selectively trim it
    again this year.
    {{gwi:673606}}From Garden 2010

• jonaskragebaer
    13 years ago

sun_whorsiper:
    our summer is hard to describe, you dont know what to expect from it some summers are wet and cold while others are hot and dry, but normally its a mix of all weathers, during the summer months the day temp is usually somewhere between 15-30C, and the night temp is 15-20C, and in the fall the temp is around 10-15C day and night

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Nice jades sun worshiper!

Dpolson...I bet you're glad you were able to save a cutting from your Mother plant...cute Jades. Soon enough your collection will multiply. We're a very bad influence here,lol. Its an addiction for which there is NO cure :o)

• jyk032003
    13 years ago

Hi, I saw those large variegated jade pictures (5 foot) and was wondering if anyone knew of a place that actually sold them? I think its the crassula ovata variegata or tricolor or something like that. I am willing to travel anywhere in the US, but I am having trouble finding places that sell that. Can anyone suggest garden centers they may have seen them at with that size anywhere at all?

Thanks for the help!
    Jim

• haxuan
    13 years ago

All very beautiful Jades. Thanks everyone for sharing your gorgeous collections.

In fact I've got great inspiration from these posts. I must check my jades and give them more TLC so that I can present them next time. :-)

Xuan

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

I agree-drop dead gorgeous!... and the 100 year old Jade is nice too.

Wait until Tuesday when the weather clears..a local Jade that is very impressive.