Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dhd47

Problem (I think) with my Aloe plant

dhd47
9 years ago

I have an aloe plant that has brown growth spots. I have no idea what they are or should I worry about them. Can anyone tell what the problem is, should I worry, and what to do to stop or remove the spots.

Thank you.
Dave

Comments (17)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

The sunken black spots look like a fungal or bacterial infection but the raised brown things--is that scale? Aloes do get fungal infections. Try to provide the warmest, driest (lowest humidity), sunniest conditions possible, because fungus doesn't like dry conditions. Aloes have difficulty with high heat combined with high humidity, so try to avoid that.

"This may be caused by a variety of fungal or bacterial infections, and is more likely when plants are under stress due to excessive moisture or high temperatures combined with high humidity. Spots are more likely to appear on older leaves. Some aloes have a genetic susceptibility, and often a few spots is unavoidable. This is no cause for concern as it does not affect the plantâÂÂs health or flowering. If the spots are really unsightly (e.g. covering more than 10% of the leaf surface) spraying with fungicide may clean up the new growth."

See:

Here is a link that might be useful: black leaf spot on Aloes

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Check out the brown spots on the tip of one of the branches. Some kind of bugs. Can't tell for sure if it's aphids or scale.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

It usually is tied to a non-enough-sun/warmth and/or too-much-water situation. That Aloe could use a lot more sun, but do so gradually. Your soil might need to be altered to allow for better drainage.

• camellia1_gw
    9 years ago

Yeah, the brown raised bumps look like scale. The indented black spots, not sure.

• dhd47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for the information. I have 2 plants of the same aloe that I wS thinking of transplanting into 1 container. Would it be best to not transplant this now and wait for spring?

The little brown spots never move and I can scrape them off the branches. I just didn't know the cause. I see now that I'm watering it to much and yes the soil is old and likely just potting soil. Not anything like gritty soil I would use now. That is why I'm thinking it would be ok to transplant now.

Thank you.
    Dave

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Dave,
    If the spots can be removed with your fingernail, that screams scale. Highly contagious and can overtake your plant in the blink of an eye.

Planto

• dhd47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Highly contagious! Do I need to worry about it getting to other plants? So far it seems to stay on the aloe only but now I have more succulents in the window.

What about the repotting the plant now, a bad idea?

Thank you for the help. I'm going to read about scale now.

Dave

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

It's a possibility, keep an eye on your other plants. I would separate your Aloe from your other plants. I lost a lot of plants due to a scale infestation. It spread from a cactus to plants that were feet away. I would take care of your scale problem before I worried about repotting. You will need something systemic, that is something that works from the inside of the plant out. The brown spots you can see are adults. The baby scale is too small for the naked eye to see. The adults hardened shell protects them from most insecticides, hence using the systemic. I have read that fish emulsion can work too, diluted of course, but I don't know if that works or not.

I hope this helps.
    Planto

• dhd47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will find something and get started on dealing with this but for now it's going to a new location away from all the others. Would it be real bad to move the plant to the garage now or would that be to cold in zone 7 (40-50 at night).
    Dave

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I'm not sure the cold tolerance for your particular Aloe. I would imagine as long as you kept it on the dry side. But take note, these don't go dormant in the winter and still require a lot of light (sun), even if indoors. I wish I could tell you which systemic is safe for your Aloe (not everything is safe for every plant), but when I had a scale issue, I just got rid of all my plants that were infected. The cheapest thing you could try I'd imagine is the fish emulsion (spraying it on the plant). If it doesn't work, you can use it for fertilizer for your plants!

Planto

• dhd47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I got it fixed. I got the 2 plants, pots and all, and chucked them into the trash can. Problem solved. I hate to do that but they are not any special plant to me and mostly I kept them for burns in the house. I will clean up the window and I hope I don't see this in any other plants. After I feel it is clear I will get a new Aloe plant for the emergency burn unit.

Thank you all for the information and leading me in the right way to fix this problem.

Dave

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Dave,
    I am sorry to hear you had to chunk it, but it was probably for the best. With the information you learned from this post (more light, less water, possibly different potting soil), you will have greater success with your next Aloe.

Just keep an eye on your other plants closely as sometimes before you realize a plant has scale, it is too late (often severe). I have read that they won't attack a healthy plant (often pests will be more attracted to an already stressed plant), but I don't know the validity of that.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you don't find anymore scale.

Planto

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I would suggest you contact your local agricultural center about what to spray on it. I don't use chemicals. I had to spray a mixture of chemicals once a week when I worked in a plant nursery. I prefer to use rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball to remove scale. It works well most of the time. I did have to toss a huge Shefflera plant one time because I could never get rid of the scale.

• dhd47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! And Planto I'm sure I will do much better with the next aloe plant. I know so much more now with the soil type and other things I've learned here.

My biggest fear right now is the scale getting on the other plants. I'm worried about a few new plants I added in the past few weeks that may get the scale. The other plants have been in the window for a long time with the aloe and not had a problem. Time will tell and at least I now know what that sticky wet stuff on the window and shelf are from.

Dave

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Dave,
    Yes, scale does excrete a sticky susbstance, I don't remember why. That was my first clue I had scale. My plant was covered in ants and a sticky residue (not to mention the raised brown bumps). Apparently the ants were attracted to the sticky residue. Yuck. Just be resillent in looking for it and treat it early if you do find scale. The sooner, the easier to eradicate.

Planto

• dhd47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I had a chance to look at a couple of my plants and one other has scales too. I will check them all over this weekend to see how bad it is. I hate to loose them all but I will do what I need to rid the plant of the scale.

Dave

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Dave,
    :/

Planto

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm