Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

variegated christmas cactus

marquest
12 years ago

I remember a discission awhile back about a variegated CC. This is a pic of one I have that appeared to be variegated. This year it does not appear to be variegated. I wonder if variegated CC are not a stable variegation.

{{gwi:674108}}

Comments (16)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hey, Marquest! Nice pic!

I remember the discussion. Like the plant in the original discussion, yours is not a Christmas Cactus
    but a Thanksgiving Cactus, which can be seen in the pointed leaf-margins. Not sure what's up
    with the variegation on yours. Maybe Meyer Mike can give us an update on his variegated TC.

Still we seek the elusive variegated Christmas Cactus....

Josh

• gmaculata
    12 years ago

I have seen plants that look like this offered as variegated a few times. If it has lost the variegation it was not truly variegated. It was likely deficient in a needed nutrient.

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Josh.

gmaculata, I think you are right. It just goes to the fact even when you purchase from a so called reputable nursery you can get a plant that has not received the best care.

This was the first Holiday cactus I purchased. There was a name but I did not keep the info. I picked this one because the leaves were so pretty. LOL

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

It is a beautiful TC...sorry it didn't turn out to be the true variegated variety.

Yes, Josh is right! We're still looking for the elusive Variegated Christmas Cactus. Soon...I hope!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

{{gwi:466922}}

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Nice Dog Jeff!! Pretty variegated ?? plant you have as well.

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

I remember there were Thanksgiving ,Christmas and Easter cactus..everything is pretty much Christmas now. Never saw a variegated one. The ones I have are the old Christmas cactus. Long more slender leaves, less notched.hardly ever bloom,not like the ones you get today, just before the holiday. Full of flowers. Oh well......
    Sharon

• emerald1951
    12 years ago

Hi...
    ssk22...do you ever keep your cc in a cool place for a while....I take mine outside for the summer north side of house and now it is in my garage until just before it will freeze out there then I bring it in the house and it will load up with flowers....maybe your down stairs is cool and you could put it down there for a while....good luck....linda

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

Linda,
    No I never take them outside,I hate the creepy crawlers that take up residence in the pots. I know my big one is at least twenty years old and not so much as a bud.I did just repot it this summer,thinking it would help.how long do they need to be in the colder temps to set buds? It's probably too late this season . Thanks for the help. I will try it next year.
    Sharon

• keystonecrossroads
    12 years ago

It isn't the temps that induce budding so much as the short days/ long night treatment. If you can put them in a place where they don't get any light after dark for two to three weeks, they should bud up for you. Even five footcandles of light will prevent them from blooming.

I have twenty seedlings that I just gave the treatment too, and I am starting to see the little balls form on the end of the phylloclades. Can't wait to see them bloom!

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

Keystone,
    Mine are on end tables under lamps that are on every night.no wonder...thanks,I will move them and see what happens.
    Sharon

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Marquest, I see quite a bit of variegation on your TC.
    Very nice..

Hey Pug!!!!! HI! I too am still looking for a variegated CC/TC/EC. As soon as I saw Marquest's TC, I flew to Ebay..no luck. Not even a seed. lol.
    When you say, 'we're looking,' I'm sure you mean several others here on GW. lol. We ARE still looking.

Has anyone ever seen a true, Variegated Holiday Cactus w/deep variegation? Or is it a myth? Toni

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

I vote Myth.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I've only seen Meyer Mike's variegated Thanksgiving Cactus...

Josh

• ubique04
    8 years ago

I am new to this forum and have a similar issue with two TCs...they appear variegated but they were not originally this color. I have attached two pictures. The first picture shows the two plants with a third "normal" TC in front of them. All three were grown from cuttings for different plants. The plant on the right is the oldest, the plant in the front is the youngest. The second picture is a close up of the oldest plant, showing the variegation. All three plants appear to be exceptionally healthy. All three plants sit in the same window and receive the same level of sunlight. Could the variegation be due to a mineral deficiency? If so, what type?

• nomen_nudum
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Could the variegation be due to a mineral deficiency? No and not always

Variegation is a natural mutation that occurs as a result of the growing conditions VIA lighting soil ect...

If you consider that any plant in mutation as a neutral, the 'neutral' variegated plant can can also adapt back to the more positive side or adapt to the more negative side and convert back to it's original non variegated state

The plant can also determine what it needs to do for it's own willingness to survive or to say if it must loose it's variation it will.

(Mathematically speaking in a sense) If plant mutation equals(=) variegation + neutral. Some plants ( but not always have all parts of the variegated plant be varigated) can remain neutral and always keep it's variegation.

Exceptions could be cutting propagating , sudden changes of any parts of ( or all environmental) growing conditions , or to say neutral likes to be neutral.