Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
variegated christmas cactus

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 24, 11 at 14:16

I remember a discission awhile back about a variegated CC. This is a pic of one I have that appeared to be variegated. This year it does not appear to be variegated. I wonder if variegated CC are not a stable variegation.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: variegated christmas cactus

Hey, Marquest! Nice pic!

I remember the discussion. Like the plant in the original discussion, yours is not a Christmas Cactus
but a Thanksgiving Cactus, which can be seen in the pointed leaf-margins. Not sure what's up
with the variegation on yours. Maybe Meyer Mike can give us an update on his variegated TC.

Still we seek the elusive variegated Christmas Cactus....

Josh

o

I have seen plants that look like this offered as variegated a few times. If it has lost the variegation it was not truly variegated. It was likely deficient in a needed nutrient.

o

Thanks Josh.

gmaculata, I think you are right. It just goes to the fact even when you purchase from a so called reputable nursery you can get a plant that has not received the best care.

This was the first Holiday cactus I purchased. There was a name but I did not keep the info. I picked this one because the leaves were so pretty. LOL

o

It is a beautiful TC...sorry it didn't turn out to be the true variegated variety.

Yes, Josh is right! We're still looking for the elusive Variegated Christmas Cactus. Soon...I hope!

o

Photobucket

o

Nice Dog Jeff!! Pretty variegated ?? plant you have as well.

o

I remember there were Thanksgiving ,Christmas and Easter cactus..everything is pretty much Christmas now. Never saw a variegated one. The ones I have are the old Christmas cactus. Long more slender leaves, less notched.hardly ever bloom,not like the ones you get today, just before the holiday. Full of flowers. Oh well......
Sharon

o

Hi...
ssk22...do you ever keep your cc in a cool place for a while....I take mine outside for the summer north side of house and now it is in my garage until just before it will freeze out there then I bring it in the house and it will load up with flowers....maybe your down stairs is cool and you could put it down there for a while....good luck....linda

o

Linda,
No I never take them outside,I hate the creepy crawlers that take up residence in the pots. I know my big one is at least twenty years old and not so much as a bud.I did just repot it this summer,thinking it would help.how long do they need to be in the colder temps to set buds? It's probably too late this season . Thanks for the help. I will try it next year.
Sharon

o

It isn't the temps that induce budding so much as the short days/ long night treatment. If you can put them in a place where they don't get any light after dark for two to three weeks, they should bud up for you. Even five footcandles of light will prevent them from blooming.

I have twenty seedlings that I just gave the treatment too, and I am starting to see the little balls form on the end of the phylloclades. Can't wait to see them bloom!

o

• Posted by ssk22 5/ohio (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 26, 11 at 16:53

Keystone,
Mine are on end tables under lamps that are on every night.no wonder...thanks,I will move them and see what happens.
Sharon

o

Marquest, I see quite a bit of variegation on your TC.
Very nice..

Hey Pug!!!!! HI! I too am still looking for a variegated CC/TC/EC. As soon as I saw Marquest's TC, I flew to Ebay..no luck. Not even a seed. lol.
When you say, 'we're looking,' I'm sure you mean several others here on GW. lol. We ARE still looking.

Has anyone ever seen a true, Variegated Holiday Cactus w/deep variegation? Or is it a myth? Toni

o

I vote Myth.

o

I've only seen Meyer Mike's variegated Thanksgiving Cactus...

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here