Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Echeveria 'Barbillion'

Posted by bikerdoc5968 6 SE MI (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 11 at 14:20

I've had this Echeveria for a number of years without a name. Recently, I was told it was E. 'Barbillion'. So is it Barbillion or possibly E. 'Paul Bunyon' or another hybrid? The head is several inches across. For some reason, despite plenty of sun, it didn't flower this year as it has in the past. It has a typical "Echeveria" orange-red candy corn flower.

Echeveria 'Barbillion'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Echeveria 'Barbillion'

You either love this plant, or hate it. It is Echeveria 'Etna', named for the volcano. It is a hybrid of Dick Wrights 'Mauna Loa' created by Denise Manly. 'Paul Bunyon' and 'Barbillon' are related plants, but have different color schemes and leaf characteristics. All of these derive from Echeveria gibbiflora, which is the name most commonly used for many of the big Echeverias.

Like many Echeveria, appearance is variable depending on the time of year and the amount of light. More light seems to produce more heavily carunculated leaves. The thread linked below shows my plants at this time of year, and has some good posts on the origin of this plant. The photos below demonstrate how variable are the colors of this plant:

December:

February:

Echeveria 'Etna'

March:

May:

Echeveria 'Etna'

Etna is one of my most prized plants. It's a glorious riot of color!

Brad

Here is a link that might be useful: Mt. Etna Erupts!

o

As always, Brad, your photos of 'Etna' are MARVELOUS!

I think Bikerdoc's plant may be 'Barbillion', though. According to Schulz/Kapitany's book, Echeveria Cultivars, 'Barbillion' is:

A Dick Wright hybrid. Solitary, reaching up to 400 mm in diameter and elongating slowing with age on a bare stem. Similar to 'Paul Bunyan' when young, but much larger growing. Leaf endings becoming frilly. Seasonal colors prominent.

Does this ring true for you? Do you have pix of your plant at other times of the year?

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 19, 11 at 17:49

Quite astounding, what ever it might be. That's for sharing the photos. I've seen many different hybrids of that type that are very similar. (But all gorgeous.)

o

Brad and Rose, Thanks. Unfortunately, as with any hybrid sometimes the exact name may never be known. It is heart-warming to know I'm at least in the ballpark.....

o

Astoundingly beautiful, really. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here