Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19698344

Epiphyllum with new growth - What to do now?

User
11 years ago

I was given 3 Epiphyllum cuttings last year. The lady called them 'Lady of the Night'. She said they were not 'Night Blooming Cereus'. I read online that the same plant can go by both of these names. I am very new to growing Epiphyllum and would like some growing guidance.

I have three cuttings in an 8 inch pot.

They sent out new growth last year and all are doing well.

It's starting to send up new growth now and I'm wondering what I need to do as far as feeding and watering and light conditions.

Thanks for your input!

Indiana.Matt

Matthew

Comments (22)

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Hmm, this is what I got from the Wiki:

The broad-leaved epiphyllum (Epiphyllum oxypetalum) is particularly well-known. It bears large, strongly fragrant flowers that bloom for a single night only.

and
    The plants known as epiphyllum hybrids, epiphyllums or just epis, which are widely grown for their flowers, are artificial hybrids of species within the tribe Hylocereeae, particularly species of Disocactus, Pseudorhipsalis and Selenicereus. In spite of the common name, Epiphyllum species are less often involved.[3]

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Keep it warm and watered. It is a growing jungle cactus. Indoor light is pretty crappy this time of year in IN, keep it as close to the window as you can. Epiphyllums can get big, the hybrids not as big. If you are getting a long cylindrical stem, you can cut this when it gets as tall as you want, it doesn't hurt it.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Surely these jungle cacti tend to grow in low light situations in the wild, so shade should be ok.

• leahrenee1
    11 years ago

High light, no direct sun

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

I was interrupted in the last post and want to explain further. I've grown epiphytic cacti for about 30 years, but am far from an expert. I can only speak about the conditions here. Since Indiana lies at about the same latitude, I would expect that similar conditions can produce similar plants.

Most of the 20 or 25 species of epiphytic cacti I have are kept in a cool greenhouse in the winter. I have 3 species of Epiphyllums a greenhouse that gets down to the mid-40sF during the night in the winter. They have lasted through times when the furnace went out and there was an inch of ice in the saucers on the floor. Kept moderately dry, some of the fleshy leaves, no I'm lying, most of the flat parts were affected, and some of the round growth too. (Epiphyllums are dimorphic growing; they have 2 distinct growing forms, flat and round. The flowers come from the flat parts, new flats come from the round.) The plants are in full sun, as full as it can be in my latitude with a glass shell around it. The crowded conditions in the g-house give it some shade, though even at the bottom of the plant there is enough sun to grow a begonia that seeded itself there.

During the summer, they are parked in a shady area that either gets morning sun or evening sun. I find that with the low light of mostly shade, E. strictum especially does not bloom well. Only a few flowers a couple of times in the summer.

Rhipsalis also go through similar routine. About a dozen species of them in the greenhouse, a few only in the house. I've found that R. grandiflora is particularly unsuited to cool nights, so they spend winters in the house with about 15 other epihpytic cactus, and orchids, Arums, African Violets, etc. Things that like it warm and humid. All the Rhipsalis are given as much light as they can get and very little sunlight reaches the floor. Competition for the limited glass frontage is limited (an area 18ft X 5ft high in an "L"), so at most, some of them get full sun from 1pm to dark. The plants are dark green and have compact growth, except for the Epiphyllum oxypetalum, nothing keeps them compact. Hybrid Epis tend to be smaller and also don't like the cold.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your info. What about feeding?
    When should I feed?
    How should I feed?

Thanks,
    Indiana.Matt
    Matthew

Here is a photo of the new growth.

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Ha Ha. Your plant is already showing signs of the monster it is. That cylindrical growth will have the pot on its side in, oh, 3 months. It will twirl towards the light, and when it is fleshy and young it can be coiled or bent, but it will grow. You can cut it to shorten the plant, but it might just make more whips. Young plants grow vigorously, rampant, fast, or wildly, pick your adjective. Five foot whips are normal, 6 ft. ones if it has a big pot. They can live in small amounts or soil, and will bloom better if kept a little pot bound. You can prune the roots when it gets really pot bound, give it a little more good soil, and the plant will be rejuvenated.

I have a cutting of O. oxypetalum rooted in little dirt hasn't washed out of its pot. (Never mind why one would want any more than one of those plants.) The pot is a shallow (Azelea) 10 inch clay pot that spent the summer on its side because Ta-Dah, the plant tipped it over! Now it leans against something in the greenhouse, in a ball of dirt about the size of my 2 fists, a 6ft green flappy thing.

• hijole
    11 years ago

Hello, I have one of these Epi's and I'd actually like to propagation it to make my pot look a lite fuller, so my question is, when is a good time to cut the leafs and put the cuttings in new soil?

I live in Calif. In zone 9 and mine was in or has been in am & noon time full sun but right now in bright light but not direct sun.

Thanks for any tips,

Greg

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Greg : Don't worry the two epics with full view you have in pic will fill that pot easily in a couple years.
    Cuttings:: Can be done with a single leaf faster to get blooms if two-three leaves are used. Start in a smaller pot them re-pot to bigger. Colder winters here I have more success if I start new cuttings early spring. They will take a short rest after flowering just after the rest period anytime. Re-propagating them is easy too just like the TC holiday epic type cacti.

• hijole
    11 years ago

Mrlike2u, that was quick thank you I'll get on that as soon as I see the sun pop up. That picture was from last fall and it has grown longer leafs so I thought about cutting them back and making another pot to put somewhere else in the garden and didn't want to cut pieces if it wasn't a good time right now so thanks for the green light.

Greg

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Just so as you know, epis dont have leaves, they have modified stems (phylloclades), same with so-called christmas cacti.
    I would imagine you could cut part of a stem and plant it once its callused over and plant it in compost. It should soon root.

• hijole
    11 years ago

Greenlarry, appreciate the lesson and the name of the stem, Stem is way easier to write. Ok so I now have a few more stems too plant once they callous and then you mentioned compost soil so I'll try that, my other one has cacti mix and I actually have a compost bin I make with kitchen waste such as veggies and stuff like that, will that be fine, any perilite or gravel in the mix?

Thanks, Greg

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Greg

remember, UK compost is not the compost you are thinking of. Are you planning to plant it in the pot?

• hijole
    11 years ago

Rina, nice to hear from you, Yeah I was thinking of placing the cuttings in another pot to start a new batch of Epi's for the garden.

I'm not sure the difference of composts you discribed here, UK compost & the type I'm thinking of so can you please clear up my thinking. I guess it's made up of diferent contents.

I just want the plant to thrive and bloom so all the tips are welcomed.

Thank you,

Greg

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Greg

I only know from reading other forums that in UK they call 'compost' what we call potting soil.
    Here from the post by flora_uk on House Plants forum:

Yes, purpleinopp we call potting soil 'potting compost'. There's seed and cuttings compost, potting compost, John Innes compost, ericaceous compost - all sorts of compost. And also the pile of rotting stuff at the end of the garden. All compost to us ;-)

What we call compost is made from kitchen waste/garden waste - great for garden beds but not recommended to use in pots (& that's why I asked if you are planting it outside or in the pot). Bagged stuff sold in stores is potting mix to us. Otherwise, I am not 'qualified' to give advice about best soil mix to use for potted Epi.
    Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Greg

forgot to add - maybe it will grow like crazy with some 'american compost' added, lol...

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Re compost. Stuff that you put in a composter eventually rots to form compost. Potting soil that you buy is made from composted material- it is indeed compost. Made from decomposed organic material. That is the definition of compost!

• snowbirdgal
    8 years ago

I'm new at growing epi's. I have some epiphyllum oxypetalum & selenicereus. I only use equal part orchid potting soil & perlite. After 2 months of receiving these cutting, it's now rapidly sprouting new growths. I live in the Midwest, one of the coldest states during winter. I move it towards the window in the morning to catch the few hours of morning light & in the evening back to the other side of the house to catch the evening sun. I also water it with rain water which I heard epi's love. I am one of those people who can not keep any plants alive. So I have religiously done my epi research & this is all I do with it at this time and now it's healthy & growing quick.

• socalnolympia
    5 years ago

• Eloise Holdahl
    2 years ago

Sounds like the epi has you trained. Hahahahaha..joking. The things we will do for our Epi's.

• Lisa May
    2 years ago

My epi had a fungus this spring and I had to make drastic cutting back. It has lots of new leaves, does this cactus bloom on new leaves or only on old growth? I've had this plant 12 years and this is the 1st time it has had a fungus.