Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shauntavia

kalanchoe thyrsiflora

shauntavia
11 years ago

I am on the verge of purchasing seeds. I see some pics where the plant is flat, and some curled? Is this the same plant?

Comments (24)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I think there are different cultivars of this plant. The plants come up with different quirks. Mine is flat leaved. They also have curled and variegated ones.

• shauntavia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is there a different name for the curled ones? I am just seeing them both under the general kalanchoe thyrsiflora name.

• mfyss
    11 years ago

Seeds of Kalanchoe are rare; perhaps someone has figured out how to get them. Will you tell us your source? Yale

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Actually the name is Kalanchoi luciae . The guys in charge changed it up on us. Some are slow to change. Yes same species, different variations and hybrids. I find them easy to propagate from pups off the stalk after they f;lower.

• shauntavia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@wantonamara ok now i am confused...the pic is kalanchoe lucaie? or is that the general species?

@mfyss..i just did a google search for them

• shauntavia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nevermind...i see it listed as both, but still don't know the different one that curls

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

oops I misspelled kalanchoe above. Sorry.And as well you should be confused. Join the club. I think they do this to us just cause they can.There is a Kalanchoe thrysiflora. It is smaller and with whitish small hairs on the leaves and they do not blush . No red on the leaves in winter bright sunlight. They are not as common as the luciae.. It gets weird because they share nicknames also. The web is all confused about the confusion between the two. The picture that you show is Kalanchoe luciae. Did the picture come with the seeds or is it just a googled image. Your seeds might just be Kalanchoe thrysiflora. Who knows. If it is it won't look like the picture. Its a wacky world out their in ID land.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good explanation of the two.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

95% or more all all plants in the nursery industry identified as Kalanchoe thyrsiflora are Kalanchoe luciae... I do not know how this mess started but it is still going on as usual... though it is nice to see many are becoming aware of this confusion. I just wish most nurseries tried harder to get things right (good nurseries like Monrovia have updated and seem very aware and are no longer making this mistake... but they are the exception and not the rule unfortunately).

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

if you search these species on Gardenweb.com you will likely come across previous discussions of this problem, along with a lot of photos I uploaded before that might be helpful.

• shauntavia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok after looking online, i think the one i really want is lucaie...the big huge leaves...the pic above was a pic of a seller selling seeds...i think i will purchase and see what i get...still confused about the curling thought...maybe it depends on the conditions

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I was looking at photos and the new growth of the pups that are branching up from the cut flower stalk are very straight and round but right before the plant flowered it's ;eaves had sinuous curves , so it mightbe about plant stages also. these three oictures are all of the same plantat different times.

the variety called 'fantastic" is much more fluttery and variegated.

{{gwi:676086}}

{{gwi:676087}}

{{gwi:676088}}

• shauntavia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks!!! that helps!

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Sounds similar to the story with Aloe juvenna/ squarrosa!

• succulents120
    11 years ago

Im sorry people but I have been growing theses plants for my hole life you are all rong, the first plant in a kalanchoe thyrsiflora also know as flap jack. the seocund is Kalanchoe luciae ''fantastic'' also know as varriegated plddle plant

Have a good day

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

you see,..... confusion reigns

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

Old post resurfaces! Whee!

First, I'll say Beautiful pix of your plants, Mara!

As far a Kalanchoe luciae 'Fantastic', the only pic of that so far is the one Succulent120 posted. I bought one the other day at the C&S show:

Can't wait till it grows up! {{gwi:676089}}

I believe the 1st pic, posted by the OP is Kalanchoe luciae. See link (way) below to a very good explanation of differences between it & Kalanchoe thyrsiflora, including pix of their flowers...the best way to tell apart!

And for the question about curved leaves, it just depends on the conditions in which the plant grows.

Here, flat leaves & curved...same plant, different times:
    (click thumbnails for larger views)

{{gwi:676090}} {{gwi:676091}} {{gwi:676092}}

Some curved, some not:
    {{gwi:330664}}

Here is a link that might be useful: luciae vs. thyrsiflora differences

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Here is mine just blooming (I think it's K. luciae):

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Whole plant:

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

hard to change the 'old collector's' minds of course.. I am getting to that age, too, where things I have learned incorrectly will just have to stay that way from now or I get too confused. ... but not quite there yet, thankfully. Not sure where this confusion started, but it appears that it will take many years, if ever, to amend it.

• reggie
    11 years ago

Thanks Rosemarie for posting. That article from San Marcos Growers was very helpful to explain the differences. I can now confirm that I have a Kalanchoe luciae blooming in my yard right now. I'll be sure to leave that flower stock on there for some time hoping that it produces many pups. :-)

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

You're welcome, Reggie. =) Do you have pix of your bloomer to share? I'd like to see!

• reggie
    11 years ago

Here you go, Rosemarie. So I'm thinking it's a Kalanchoe luciae. It's bloom stock has been up for some time now. I'd say the whole plant with bloom stock is about 4 feet high.

{{gwi:676096}}

{{gwi:676098}}

{{gwi:676099}}

{{gwi:676100}}

{{gwi:676101}}

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Beautiful. Definitely a K. luciae

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

Ooo, nice, Reggie! Yes, K. luciae, for sure! I see you have 'Chocolate Mint' Pelly, like me! I love it too.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?