Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kalanchoe thyrsiflora

Posted by shauntavia z8 GA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 15:25

I am on the verge of purchasing seeds. I see some pics where the plant is flat, and some curled? Is this the same plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kalanchoe thyrsiflora

I think there are different cultivars of this plant. The plants come up with different quirks. Mine is flat leaved. They also have curled and variegated ones.

o

Is there a different name for the curled ones? I am just seeing them both under the general kalanchoe thyrsiflora name.

o

• Posted by mfyss w. Ill. (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 16:43

Seeds of Kalanchoe are rare; perhaps someone has figured out how to get them. Will you tell us your source? Yale

o

Actually the name is Kalanchoi luciae . The guys in charge changed it up on us. Some are slow to change. Yes same species, different variations and hybrids. I find them easy to propagate from pups off the stalk after they f;lower.

o

@wantonamara ok now i am confused...the pic is kalanchoe lucaie? or is that the general species?

@mfyss..i just did a google search for them

o

nevermind...i see it listed as both, but still don't know the different one that curls

o

oops I misspelled kalanchoe above. Sorry.And as well you should be confused. Join the club. I think they do this to us just cause they can.There is a Kalanchoe thrysiflora. It is smaller and with whitish small hairs on the leaves and they do not blush . No red on the leaves in winter bright sunlight. They are not as common as the luciae.. It gets weird because they share nicknames also. The web is all confused about the confusion between the two. The picture that you show is Kalanchoe luciae. Did the picture come with the seeds or is it just a googled image. Your seeds might just be Kalanchoe thrysiflora. Who knows. If it is it won't look like the picture. Its a wacky world out their in ID land.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good explanation of the two.

o

95% or more all all plants in the nursery industry identified as Kalanchoe thyrsiflora are Kalanchoe luciae... I do not know how this mess started but it is still going on as usual... though it is nice to see many are becoming aware of this confusion. I just wish most nurseries tried harder to get things right (good nurseries like Monrovia have updated and seem very aware and are no longer making this mistake... but they are the exception and not the rule unfortunately).

o

if you search these species on Gardenweb.com you will likely come across previous discussions of this problem, along with a lot of photos I uploaded before that might be helpful.

o

ok after looking online, i think the one i really want is lucaie...the big huge leaves...the pic above was a pic of a seller selling seeds...i think i will purchase and see what i get...still confused about the curling thought...maybe it depends on the conditions

o

I was looking at photos and the new growth of the pups that are branching up from the cut flower stalk are very straight and round but right before the plant flowered it's ;eaves had sinuous curves , so it mightbe about plant stages also. these three oictures are all of the same plantat different times.

the variety called 'fantastic" is much more fluttery and variegated.

DSC_0135

Kalanchoe luciae

DSC_0007

o

thanks!!! that helps!

o

Sounds similar to the story with Aloe juvenna/ squarrosa!

o

Im sorry people but I have been growing theses plants for my hole life you are all rong, the first plant in a kalanchoe thyrsiflora also know as flap jack. the seocund is Kalanchoe luciae ''fantastic'' also know as varriegated plddle plant

Have a good day

o

you see,..... confusion reigns

o

Old post resurfaces! Whee!

First, I'll say Beautiful pix of your plants, Mara!

As far a Kalanchoe luciae 'Fantastic', the only pic of that so far is the one Succulent120 posted. I bought one the other day at the C&S show:

Can't wait till it grows up!  photo DSC_4520KalanchoeluciaeFantastic4wtext_zps99c18d8c.jpg

I believe the 1st pic, posted by the OP is Kalanchoe luciae. See link (way) below to a very good explanation of differences between it & Kalanchoe thyrsiflora, including pix of their flowers...the best way to tell apart!

And for the question about curved leaves, it just depends on the conditions in which the plant grows.

Here, flat leaves & curved...same plant, different times:
(click thumbnails for larger views)

photo 0912040803FanoflvsKalanchoeluciae_zps5b62e52f.jpg  photo 0906020306Kalanchoeluciaesspluciae_zps42736d25.jpg  photo 0227024950BtmlvsKalluciaeflwrstalk_zpsd1d86d3b.jpg

Some curved, some not:
 photo Kalluciaestofinflor.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: luciae vs. thyrsiflora differences

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 14:17

Here is mine just blooming (I think it's K. luciae):

Rina

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 14:19

Whole plant:

o

hard to change the 'old collector's' minds of course.. I am getting to that age, too, where things I have learned incorrectly will just have to stay that way from now or I get too confused. ... but not quite there yet, thankfully. Not sure where this confusion started, but it appears that it will take many years, if ever, to amend it.

o

Thanks Rosemarie for posting. That article from San Marcos Growers was very helpful to explain the differences. I can now confirm that I have a Kalanchoe luciae blooming in my yard right now. I'll be sure to leave that flower stock on there for some time hoping that it produces many pups. :-)

o

You're welcome, Reggie. =) Do you have pix of your bloomer to share? I'd like to see!

o

Here you go, Rosemarie. So I'm thinking it's a Kalanchoe luciae. It's bloom stock has been up for some time now. I'd say the whole plant with bloom stock is about 4 feet high.

o

Beautiful. Definitely a K. luciae

o

Ooo, nice, Reggie! Yes, K. luciae, for sure! I see you have 'Chocolate Mint' Pelly, like me! I love it too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here