Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calif888

Succulent bonsai

calif888
11 years ago

I am trying to grow this indoors about 5 feet from an East window. It gets no direct sun, It is doing well so far.

Comments (29)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

It's a little etiolated - the growth is too spindly. More light's needed for it to grow well.

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cactusmcharris: You are right, but I do not have any more "Window Spsce"....
    Maybe i will try it outside. Here is a photo of a Jade bonsai in small pot. It does not fall over (top heavy) because all the rocks in the pot add weight.

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another jade bonsai....This is one that I wacked the top off about 6 months ago.

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This aloe wants to go for a walk far from the pot.

• mi_co
    11 years ago

This Gollum jade was my first attempt at working with a plant to make it look like bonsai.
    {{gwi:676479}}
    This one was a branch growing low on the first one that I cut off and rooted.
    {{gwi:676480}}
    I like seeing my jade plants in a tree form and frequently whack them back to fatten up the trunks.

Mike

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice plants Mike,,,,,,,,,here is my "FINGERS IN A POT"

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More fingers ( with red nails )...Is this the red horn tree I see talked about on GW ????

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another Crassula Ovata bonsai in a shallow dish ( from Asian dollar store) The pot that is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• hookilau
    11 years ago

Calif, cool little plants! How big is your 'fingers in pot' Jade? I wish I could tell if what you've got there is red horn but I can't tell them apart unless they're RIGHT next to each other, lol. Even then it's iffy. Thanks for sharing pics. I could look at these guys all day long, it never gets old.

Antoinette

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

:::: hookilau::: The "Fingers in Pot" is 8 inches tall from bottom of pot to top of plant. Here is another tiny pot with a aeonium hawarthii......The plant is a tip cutting from a large 15 year old mother plant grown outdoors. This plant roots easily.

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Crassula Ovata. i like to put plants is smallish pots.

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can I call this a bonsai ??? Hope it will stay small.

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aloe bonsai ??? This is another tip cutting from a huge plant. This pot is about 4 inches wide.

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gasteria has 3 pups on each side of the main plant. Anyone else going to post photos of succulents is shallow pots ??????? I would love to see what you are doing.

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another dish of jade.

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Spider" aloe seems to like the indoors and is showing new growth.

• hookilau
    11 years ago

Loved the pics!!!!

Calif, the spider aloe looks great in that little pot & definitely seems to like what you're doing. I see some of the planters are re-purposed, did you drill holes yourself?

Mike, loved your pics too =) I love to see plants in their natural habitat of other folk's homes. I find it challenging to find suitable display opportunities for them (with good light)as opposed to warehousing. I wish I had a room with windows like yours!

We have unfortunately located windows =) I'm still trying to figure out how to work with them. Here's some random pics for ya =)

{{gwi:676492}}

{{gwi:676493}}

{{gwi:676494}}

Antoinette

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hookilau::::::Great photos. Love the skull- good for Halloween. I see you like the top dressing of aquarium fish tank pebbles. I use them often too.

• Jan-willem
    11 years ago

Calif, I acutally kind of like the spindly look of the first one. What kind of succulent is it? Doesn't look like a jade...

- Jw

• hookilau
    11 years ago

Yes, I'm curious too...so is Entree the crayfish, who's naughty enough to be the sole inhabitant of a 55 gal tank with the exception of Buddha & a single clam. Darn invert.

Antoinette

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

::::: Jwdb and hookilau::::: First photo is Aeonium Spathulatum. It is described as a "woody shrub" Here is a photo from the Internet (Huntington ),,,,,

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Not a true bonsai but I've been playing with this A. obesum seedling for a few years trying to make it look like a bonsai.
    {{gwi:345438}}.

Antoinette I love your little crayfish. My son just set up an African cichlid tank. Maybe they are aggressive enough to cohabitate with a crayfish? The fish in his other tanks would end up as crayfish snacks.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Karyn

true bonsai or not, looks really great! Rina

• caudex1
    11 years ago

Not to show off...but here's on I potted up today
    Euphorbia subpeltatophylla
    {{gwi:676495}}

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I don't know which I like more, your pots or your plants. Both are always strangely beautiful.

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Caudex :::::NICE !!! That shallow bonsai pot and the rock makes for a great presentation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Looks like a windswept tree,,,, IT IS OK TO SHOW OFF. Sure have enjoyed you past posts. THANKS.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Loving the jades in this post! I no longer have a jade, boo hoo, but I do have this Trichodiadema, recently potted in a bonsai pot.

{{gwi:105084}}

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

And then theres this funky Haworthia, with cactusy friend.
    No idea of the species of H. I think its a monstrose form.

{{gwi:105085}}

• hookilau
    11 years ago

yes, please show off! =) I love pics!!

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner