Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (40)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

I'd like to be able to go back and edit my posting after I have posted it. Sometimes we all see mistakes after we've pressed the "post it" button even with previewing the posting.

I do enjoy being able to upload an image but couldn't that feature be expanded to several images? Once you've uploaded an image, you could click the "browse" button again and upload another image. If space is an issue, limit the number of images to five.

I'd like to see the end of having to use hyper-link characters to insert BOLD or ITALICS. I know this would entail making a major format to the site.

• hijole
    11 years ago

Yeah I'm with the Doc on re-editing especially after you've goofed up really bad a second chance would be nice.

I do like the new ways to upload our pictures that alone has made life more simply for me especially doing it from a mobil phone it's the best.

Something that would get me excited is being able to post more than ONE picture at a time.

Thanks for asking for our opinions and promising the Moon, at least a site of it. :)

Greg

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    11 years ago

I understand that the ads are what keeps this running. I have no problem with most of them. The random pop up ads, and the expanding and collapsing ads at the top are very frustrating. The expanding ads are especially frustrating when the move all of the post just as I'm trying to click on a post, and I click on the wrong one.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Something else that just came to mind. Having a "Quote" button so one would be able to respond specifically to another person's posting.

And, yes, thanks for asking.... it means a lot to all of us.

• juliebees2009
    11 years ago

Yes I agree with bikerdoc I think that is a great idea.

• johnsonm08
    11 years ago

How about -Jump to the last post--and -Return to the top-
    navigation short cuts.

• landruc
    11 years ago

I hate how certain words in posts are changed to ad links.

• Ron4310
    11 years ago

Agree with bikerdoc

• nil13
    11 years ago

Yeah, the pop ups really suck on mobile.

• nil13
    11 years ago

Yeah, the pop ups really suck on mobile.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Links to the actual discussion that someone has replied to rather than just the forum would be good!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Tamara,

My number one suggestion would be the ability to edit a posting previously made.

A mobile app would be about #30 on my list - why I'd need to access GW on a telephone is beyond my ken, but I'm not of the age of the cell-in-the-hand-always - yes, I'm rapidly becoming a curmudgeon.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Well I post most messages in here from my phone, even take photos of my plants with it and upload straight to the site.
    But i find most mobile versions of sites dont work well, so I always use Full site from my phone. Modern phones can handle anything!

• nil13
    11 years ago

Not all mobile devices are phones cactusmcharris.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

I ditto the first comments about being able to upload multiple photos. Being able to upload one directly from our computers is awesome, but more would be better.

Would be nice to start developing a large on-line library of plant images, too, that we not only could learn from, but cite in our forum discussions and have a link directly too that would 'user-friendly' (meaning even someone like me could figure out how to do it).

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

But you can upload a photo each time you reply. Ive seen threads where one pic is posted. Then another thread with the second photo etc- theres no need! You type your message, hit Preview then youll see an Upload button. Upload your pic, hit preview again then submit.

11 years ago

nil,

That's right, there's them there tablet things. I had forgotten and beg your indulgence.

11 years ago

land,

You can opt out of those - there should be a link visible when you hover over it to do so - something about 'See More About ....'.

nil,

Are those non-disableable? I thought you could block the pop-up (I used to get them but have been able to tune the computer so it doesn't do so anymore).

11 years ago

Hi Tamara,

One more thing - thank you and the folks involved for the site. We like it here and appreciate your hosting it and also are obliged for your request for suggestions on making it better.

One more thing - a dedicated Jade (Crassula ovata) forum would be #31, but only when the other 30 are attended to.

Sincerely,

Jeff

• americangolden
    11 years ago

I think that the new changes that have been implemented are great. The ability to upload a single photo comes in handy especially when on a mobile device. Here are a couple of my suggestions that I think would help improve this forum.

My first suggestion would be to improve the search function by adding an advanced search. It would be helpful to search by usernames and keywords. I also think it would help if you were able to search by specific forum, by date, and search for topics or within specific posts. I find it hard sometimes to find old posts because our search feature isn't the most convenient. I think if there was any improvement on this that it might help a lot of duplicate questions being asked, and also help others find information that may have been posted long ago.

My next suggestion would be to implement an edit feature. I think that sometimes people post things rather quickly, and even though we can preview, sometimes we may make a mistake or forget something we were going to write. If we were able to edit our posts this would alleviate that problem.

Another suggestion would be to upload multiple pictures. I understand that pictures take up a lot of space with the amount of members that are on this forum, but if it would be possible I think that it would be a good feature. The reason I think it would be better for people to be able to post their images directly to the forum is because when searching older posts a lot of times the images are broken and then some topics become irrelevant because the picture can't be seen. If the pictures were posted directly to GardenWeb they wouldn't be deleted and even old posts would still contain images making some topics still relevant if this makes sense.

My last suggestion would be having an easier to use and combined user page. I think it would be helpful to many members if everything that was editable for your profile/member page was in one section. It may be hard for some members to find where to edit their page because when you click YOUR PROFILE at the top of the page it doesn't give you all of your editable fields; to do that you have to click on member pages at the bottom of the page. Combining these areas into one easy to use member area would improve everyone's ability to show more information about themselves. I'm sure if more features were added to this area as well that people would take use of them. A spin off of this feature would also be to suggest when clicking on a members profile that it would show recent posts, and the ability to search all of their postings.

These are just a few of the main suggestions that I think of when using this forum. Don't get me wrong this place is great as it is, but I think any features that can be added to help make the forum more users friendly will benefit everyone. Thanks for giving everyone the option to reply, and help make this a better forum!

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Jeff, if you get a Jade forum I want a Aloe forum! Ive asked before but just got told "why, there's a C&S forum "
    And yet theres a African Violet forum AND a Gesneriads forum. A vs ARE gesneriads!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Unless I did something wrong, I found you can't post more than one pic for the image upload option.

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

1) Removal of green words that provide cross linking to some unrelated to any plant info ads
    2)An edit feature would be nice, but not as nice as bold italic and a quoting feature. A tool bar that has things that would be easier to click and added to typed conversations. Easier in comparison to basic copying pasted HTML codes. Example color font choices and such features but if we do get this I for one dont care if someone is happy,sad, or blushing I dont need not see any silly winks, smiles or emoticons.

Bikerdoc: ONE pic like you already do is Copy the HTML line from an online picture storage place LIKE PHOTOBUCKET then mouse move over to GW and mouse click to copy pic one line code to here. To add a second pic hit enter once or twice then copy the second pic HTML line and copy the second line of code next.. Repeat this sequence for each pic you want to add on a single posting

The Browse feature(NEW) adds only one pic per posting that is uploaded to GW for them to store These pics cannot be deleted and will always be seen un-like the blue screen we see a result of person deleting photos from online photo storage places.

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Jeff, Hahahahaha, a dedicated C. ovata forum! Indeed!, so we can all ignore it!

Tamara, thank you. My concerns have been properly addressed and prioritized by my colleagues.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Bikerdoc, yo u can upload one photo per reply/posting

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

That's what I thought about the new upload picture feature but someone said above that if you "review" and go back you can add additional pics and I found out long ago that wasn't true but then thought maybe they changed the functionality. I do know about posting multiple pics using Photobucket and the like.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Yea i use photobucket usually but lately Ive been uploading direct from my phone. I dont know about the hitting the back button trick, i just do a reply with a pic at a time.

• paul_
    11 years ago

...why I'd need to access GW on a telephone is beyond my ken, but I'm not of the age of the cell-in-the-hand-always - yes, I'm rapidly becoming a curmudgeon.

Don't feel bad, Jeff -- the only cell I have is my emergency one that sits in my car. (Not even sure if it still works to be honest.)

Some nice ideas here but most, unfortunately, I doubt will ever come to pass. Because GW utilizes a rather archaic system/format, I would expect MAJOR revamping would be required to initiate many if not most of the desired changes people have mentioned.

Of those that are perhaps more "doable", I agree I would like to see re-editing available. As has been mentioned, even with the "Preview" there are times I am hurrying and so miss something or think of a better way to say/explain a point after I've posted.

A dedicated jade forum? ... Honestly I doubt I would ever think to visit such. I've never even been to the Adenium forum. If it is a cactus or succ, this is my one stop viewing area.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Easier uploads would surely be doable! Not everyone uses a photo hosting site so sometimes you gotta upload. Having to type your message, hit Preview, browse for the file, then hit Preview again before finally hitting submit is awfully long winded! People forget to hit preview and so get a message without a pic. That needs sorting more than editing, after all we have preview, that should be enough. If we have Edit we will lose the preview I think.

• hijole
    11 years ago

Ok, The results are in , Now lets see what happens in regards to the Peoples Choice.

Greg

• pennyhal
    11 years ago

Thanks for asking for input!

I would like to be able to upload a photo without using a photo hosting site like some other forum do.
    Penny

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    11 years ago

I don't like the separate forum for jades. It takes more time going forum to forum. I say leave that one be.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I don't quite understand the point of being able to edit things I've already posted. If I missed it in the Preview, I think 'Oh, Well, try to read more closely next time' & post further to try to clarify my point(s).

I did want to add as some others have, a Thank You to Tamara & the GW group for inviting the Feedback!

11 years ago

Penny,

That option is available already - please read the previous comments. GW recently added a tool which allows you to load a pic directly from your computer.

Karen,

The point is, you'd need at least two posts, rather than the one corrected one. Brevity and clarification/correction in one post, rather than two, three or four, is better, IMO.

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

1. Not having to put my darn zone in every time I post.

2. Quote function

3. Mobile app.

The jade forum would be fun. hehehe

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Two other things:

1. When you see the post listings in a certain forum, it would be nice if you could see who the last poster was instead of just the date and time of last posting.

2. When you search for something, the searches come up in order of the most recent post.

11 years ago

Laura,

If you go into your profile, I think there's a function where the zone is always in a post. At least, there must be something like that - I don't have to repeat the information in each post I make.

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Zone doesn't show. Not sure if it's a quirk plaguing newer members.

I did see that the last poster's name does show on the thread listings. duh

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Laura,

Have you tried setting (or re-setting it) at the Member Page?