Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dana_p_gw

Identification and Care Help Needed

Dana_P
9 years ago

Can anyone help with the identification of this cactus? It was rewarded to me for helping a friend move. It needs help as it's tilting over and I'm unsure how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for the help!

{{gwi:677210}}

This post was edited by Dana_P on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 16:10

Comments (11)

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Don't know what it is,but with some googly eyes it will look like mickey mouse.LOL
    Kathi

• spikef35
    9 years ago

Mimmaileria mystax water like any other cactus once a week

• Dana_P
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL Kathi!! I thought it resembled our beloved mouse too! :-)

• Dana_P
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Spikef22, thank you. I'm not entirely sure this is a mimmaileria mystax. I did an image search and I don't see one like this (with the Y shape). If you can point me to an info page, I'd appreciate it. As for watering, I know how to do that. I need help in regards to transplanting it so it doesn't flop over. It's rather tilted right now. :-)

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

Thats a really cool growth on a really cool cactus. Does anyone know if its fast growing?

• lizs4
    9 years ago

I've read you can simply replant it so it's upright, which would involve burying the part of the base showing in the pic, and packing the soil around it to keep it stable. If you've never repotted a cactus before, wear thick gloves and just use some metal tongs to hold it - though you may need someone else to help since yours looks pretty sizeable (and therefore heavy and cumbersome).

Also, is your cactus leaning towards the sun? After repotting, or as an alternative, you could try spinning the pot gradually so each side gets an even amount of sunlight. This holds true for many plants. However, depending on the exact species of this cactus, it may simply have prostrate (trailing) tendencies.

• spikef35
    9 years ago

I still think its one just a unique shape

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Don't bury the base - repot it at the level that it's at, but in a pot that would allow you to put rocks or upturned smaller pots around the base to keep it upright.

Gloves/tongs aren't a particular help here - a strip of carpet / newspaper folded up will serve you well to use as a strap wrapped around it.

Once you have it repotted don't water it for a few days afterwards.

• IMCF
    9 years ago

I found that using an old towel helps ALOT in repotting cacti- its a soft surface so it doesn't mess with the spines and even wearing gloves sometimes the spines can still poke through. with a towel you can fold/scrunch it up and get it as thick as you like and it offers a bit of a 'cushion' for your plant and yourself :)

Hope that helps!

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

I dont have gloves or anything to handle cacti. But during spring I repotted my cactus and used newspaper. They worked well but I had to use a bit of force setting it in, I went bare hands, it did hurt but I can imagine gloves being the perfect thing to use. But I dont think you need more than a newspaper and a little care to repot.

• Dana_P
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A big "thank you" to all the replies! I feel confident enough to tackle this beautiful plant. I do have cactus gloves so hopefully with the help of another person, I can get him in good soil and standing upright! :-)