Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

Not Gonna Fit!

Well, it ws a nice day here today so I moved almost everything back into the greenhouse, except the jades which are still basking out on the driveway. Not sure where they will take up residence but with the temps in our area dipping to the mid to low 40's overnight, I guess I'm going to have to find some room at the Inn! So how cold do you allow your jades to get before bringing them into warmer digs? And if they are on the dry side, can they handle cooler temps?

Comments (38)

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Great Job on that hard work Howard! That is one lovely greenhouse!

I'm having to figure out what to do with my plants, too. In the past, I've always left my plants out until there was fear of frost/freezing. My plants are in regular planting soil.

I have learned a lot on here about gritty mix. I'm just having a hard time finding turface. I thought I found it 40 miles away but when my friend picked up 2 bags, it turned out to be the fine particle.

I believe most on here are bringing them in when it is 40 degrees or below and keeping soil dry.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I don't know what you're going to do with those large Crassula, Howard. Just had to say what a sweet set-up you've made there...and that you're welcome to come to Cali any time & make one for me!! :P What a beaute! And SO neat!! I'm envious!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks RoRo, but no need to have any envy.... Your yard will be a beautiful open green space to enjoy and be very proud of....

Once I have everything organized, I'll post again.

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    10 years ago

Howard,
    Your greenhouse is great and your plants look so healthy. I agree with Ro, where will those jade go? I have room in case you run out of space. I would love to adopt them.
    Sharon

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As you can see my summer portable outdoor greenhouse is almost empty. Depending on the temps, I'll be dismantling it in the next week or so and storing for the winter. Then, not only do the jades have to find a home inside the greenhouse, but the Cymbidiums must nestle in somewhere, too.

• 0nametaken0
    10 years ago

Thats beautiful. You use a heater there? How do you regulate the temps? Looks beautiful.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In the first picture, the natural gas heater is at the far end. It has a thermostat that is numbered (1, 2, etc) as opposed to degree. By trial and error, I have determined a number equivalent to the desired temperature. I use small fans that run 24-7 to circulate the air so things stay pretty constant; a bit warmer at one end and cooler by 2 ~ 3 deg at the far end.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    10 years ago

Howard,
    I'm in Ohio. The lows for tonight are 37. I'm tempted to leave my Jades out because it's going back up to the high 50's tomorrow. In the gritty mix and kept dry, they can handle anything above freezing. The problem is the weather doesn't always listen to the forecast.

Rob

• 0nametaken0
    10 years ago

Thats cool, I guess the electric bill isnt too much? Im in zone 5/6 and always wanted a greenhouse. I just love it when people post theirs. But the heating costs scare me away.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Wow...what a GREAT set you have and SO neat and organized!!

You have some amazing plants! I know it must be SO much work for you guys up North having to bring you plants inside for the winter...

Since I live in FL this advise I'm sure doesn't apply to your zone...I grow my Jades and Succulents outside on the south side of my house (right up close to the wall)...I only bring it inside when the temps go below 30 degrees... but in FL our freezing weather only last a few hours in the morning and warms up above freezing a couple of hours after sunrise...I leave them out as long as possible since I have a very short window of cold temps and its the only time I can take advantage of the beautiful colors winter weather brings for me.

If the soil is dry I would think it will be okay at around 34 degrees as long as it against a wall and there is NO frost?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The fans are small 6" low energy so the cost is minimal. I have a backup 220W electric heater just in case but electricity is much more costly than natural gas. The increase NG cost with the greenhouse is about $10/month from November to April. There are ways to decrease costs by layering plastic over the structure.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Howard,
    You are a bad influence on me. I always wanted a green house and have most of the materials here. Maybe when I build my new garage, the back side will be a greenhouse.
    Stush

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A lean-to greenhouse is nice, especially if south facing. Sounds like a fun project. 30 years ago, I worked at Henry Ford Hospital and was able to purchase 3' x 6' sheets of tempered laminated glass. I had them made into insulated panels and built a 16' x 22' lean-to greenhouse from scratch. I used treated wood... I loved it and had the best time in my life with that project. So Stan, have a great time!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Lean-to on West facing side. Or how about the roof of the garage being all double poly hex-shapped. Naw. Who wants to climb stares in and out. Back to the drawing board. When your retired, its' kind of fun drawing and planning it.

• 0nametaken0
    10 years ago

Thats nice! Im assuming you are in Michigan? During summer do you just leave the door open as it gets too hot? During winter here it does down to 5f for a few days during evenings.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, because I don't want to deal with the insect population. There are thermostatically controlled fans and the door has a screened window.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, All are home, now. Had to place 8 plants inside the home in the front window. Cymbidiums are starting to spike. Now I have to be careful moving around in the greenhouse... one wrong turn could spell disaster! I still have 3 or 4 more plants at the end on the work table to find a more permanent location.

• senjanevada
    10 years ago

Beautiful and healthy plants and green house. Did you spray disinfectants prior moving those plants into the greenhouse?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think you mean insecticide. I treat with imidacloprid granules in August. Supposed to provide 3 months of coverage.

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

I'll have to remember that for next year. I've been spraying mine down with neem oil.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't use Neen oil because of the possibility plants have a greater risk of sunburn.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hummmmmm...How in the world did you get your Orchids to bloom like that??? I have over 30 and not a one bloom:-(

The good thing about using the pesticide, it kills everything bit spider mites and these plants are more to prone to get mealy than anything and bot does that do the job!

Fantastic...

Mike

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, not sure where you live but the Cats in flower have spent the summer out on the driveway in as much sun as I can get. I just brought them in, also. As you may know the Cymb MUST have the cold to spike and they would still be out on the driveway, if we didn't have frost the past several nights. As for the Phals (on the right), they must have a several degree temp change day/night at this time of year to spike. I have had the greenhouse in the low 50's at night and whatever daytime temps we have. I just put the heater in the greenhouse this weekend.

• paul_
    10 years ago

As Howard indicated, Mike, conditions needed typically vary depending on the type of orchid. For most orchids, the most common cause of bloom refusal is insufficient light. Next most common is a lack of temperature differential (some orchids need a huge swing in temps, some just a little, some none). Be easier to say if the types of orchids in question were known.

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

Really cool green house you have there Howard. Though if your running out of room, the winter may be well spent planing another house or perhaps an expansion of the one you have?

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Paul and Howard...Thanks so much for your input! I didn't even have to go to the orchid forum for it...Hard to believe that I know people like you that love them besides succulents...
    We have plenty to fool around with, so next year is going to be different....My only enemy is that I can never get more than 5 hours of direct sunlight at once because of trees unless they sit in my driveway too.. Great idea.

Howard, do you sit them in full sun though? I heard they can't handle full sun or they will burn...

Thanks agin and what a beautiful organized clean spacious set up you have there.

MIke

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, I have Phals, Paphs, Phrag, Cats, Cymbid, and Bulbos. The first three groups stay in the greenhouse with a 60% shade cloth for the summer along with the Haworthia and some other succulents. The Cats and Cymb go out on the driveway. I built a PVC portable greenhouse many years ago and the Cats share the space with the cactus and succulents, while the Cymb are just out there for maximum sun so they turn a lime green color. The Bulbo hang out on my deck in the shade of a very large and old oak tree for the summer; these are the ones hanging in the center of the greenhouse pictures. The pic is from many years ago. I have, since, expanded it which is the nice thing about PVC.

• paul_
    10 years ago

â¢Posted by meyermike
    My only enemy is that I can never get more than 5 hours of direct sunlight at once because of trees unless they sit in my driveway too..
    Howard, do you sit them in full sun though? I heard they can't handle full sun or they will burn...

As with any "rule" or "advice", you have to take it with a grain of salt, Mike. What is true for you in your area, may not be true for me or Howard. For that matter, as you know with cacti/succs -- what holds true for one species/hybrid may not be the case for another.

Most of my chids stay indoors as my balcony could never accommodate them all. Furthermore, my balcony is a completely unobstructed SW exposure (shade cloth is implausible -- no overhang of any kind to attach things to). During the summer that area gets full sun from around 8am until 1 or 2pm. (And my balcony literally gets hot enough to blister bare feet.) For most of my catts and other chids, that kind of sun exposure would be too much. However, I do have a couple catts and dendrobiums that do just fine out there all summer long.

As with any type of plant, gradual hardening off comes into play.

With catts and dendrobiums, the leaves will typically tell you what they think of the light you are allowing them:
    *dark green = "get us out of this dungeon!"
    *medium (grass) green = more would be appreciated
    *light green = "now we're talkin' baby!"
    *yellow green or purple spotting/blush = your at the upper range of what the plant can take (not necessarily a bad thing)

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

Absolutely, I have been rooting plants in nothing but tap water in a glass placed in a windowsill for longer than I can remember. Right or wrong (general consensus is that it's wrong), I don't think I've ever had a cacti/succulent, woody stemmed or anything else not root and survive.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Very interesting everyone...

It seems to me that I just may not be providing enough direct sunlight on most of my orchids because I don't have any open spaces to give more that 5 hours at any time to most of my plants.....I think I will just stick them up on my flat roof unobstructed with some sort of idea from what you guys do...

Thanks Paul and Howard..

Howard..I do see a very dark echeveria sitting on that table..Is that a 'Black Prince'? It looks like it and it's beautiful! I am not sure if I can get one to turn that black unless I can provide more than 5 hours of direct sun?

If so, then I need to certainly get my hands on one..I have a fling for very dark to almost black plants!

Nice job..Love that set-up in your driveway...I love to see people come here with great ideas....Brilliant.

Mike

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Most likely, Mike. Email me directly with a reply email and there something we might do to get you one.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike please send me your email address

• parodise
    10 years ago

bikerdoc,
    great greenhouse, amazing plants - thanks for sharing!
    Absolutely loved that dark reddish/brownish-blooming Catt! Do you by any chance know the exact name of the plant? Thanks!

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hey Harold. I did last night through this garden forum:-)

I think you should have it....Let me know. ok..

By the way, I used your idea with the plastic and covered my porch with it..IT's a good 25 degrees warmer in there and I am excited..Thank you so much..

Mike

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Parodise, sorry but I don't. I'm sure there was a tag once upon a time... As you can see it bloomed very nicely this year and has the most wonderful fragrance filling the greenhouse with its delightful scent.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, you sent me your home address but not an email address and I would like to communicate with you privately.

• parodise
    10 years ago

bikerdoc, thanks anyway - it's a truly gorgeous plant! I know what to look out for next time I happen to be at an orchid show! btw, I also keep my Catts which are quite large and bushy together with my cacti in the southern balcony, they get plenty of sun and are hardened off at the end of the growing season which lasts till the temps drop close to freezing at night. They sure can take a lot of sun, provided they are watered regularly.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Oops....Thanks Howard....Sorry....

Here you are:

mikerno_1@yahoo.com

Mike:-)