Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ercd_gw

Echeveria cristata 'Wooly Rose'

ercd
13 years ago

my wooly rose cactus' (echeveria cristata) stem has turned entierly redish. some parts of the stem are a vibrant white. the leaves also almost all have black tips exept for the the top ones which have a nice white hairs. on one or two leaves their are black spots that sor of crust over. im new to cacti and cannot find much info on this particular one.

is this fungus or natural.

i also recently repotted it but the root system never took hold in the previous pot.

thanks for any help anyone can provide

Comments (8)

• paracelsus
    13 years ago

It's not a cactus. and there are some other problems with the name you gave. A search for that common name showed that 'Wooly Rose' = Echeveria 'Doris Taylor'. Cristata means crested, a growth point mutation.

Hard to say what's going on without a picture, but your comment "the root system never took hold" is alarming. A recent repot is often the cause of fungal infection, particularly if watered too soon or often. Are you growing inside or out? What is your soil? It should be at least 50% inorganic materials like pumice, gravel, perlite, but no sand, and free-draining.

There are ways to save the plant if fungus has attacked the roots and stem. Cut across the stem above where you think there is infected tissue in 1/8 inch increments towards the growth point until no dark colored infected tissue remains in the cross-section. Dry the cut in air for three or more days to callous the end, and then plant in DRY soil and don't water until you see new top growth. It will take some time for new roots to form, be patient.

You can also use single leaves gently pulled from the stem with a slight twist. You will find they are easier to remove pulled to the left, or the right depending on the plant. You need a small portion of the stem still attached to the base of the leaf. Plant in dry soil, don't water until it has rooted, then wait for pups to emerge from the base of the leaf. The leaf will eventually be resorbed, dried up, and the new babies can be re-potted. This process takes time (months). Not all leaves will root.

I'm not sure you need to do anything, especially if you have not been overwatering. A photo would be helpful to diagnose the problem, and it may already be too late to save the plant.

Brad

• ercd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the help. when i search in google (i was using google cromes address bar first) i found more info. ive looked up woolly (woolly not wooly, im bad with spelling) rose as well as echeveria 'doris taylor'.

the root system didnt have time to take hold, i think. it was planted in a pot with other more aggressive plants. it was moved shortly after.

the soil is a cactus specific soil. i was told it was a cactus from every other source i found. any chance you could elaborate on what it is exactly

i also have pictures, im just not sure how to put them here

• paracelsus
    13 years ago

i was told it was a cactus from every other source i found. any chance you could elaborate on what it is exactly

Sure. First, you need to understand this:

All cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti

Your plant is a succulent, but not a cactus. Cacti all have a structure called an areole from which spines, branches, and flowers emerge. Succulents are plants like Echeveria, Agave, Euphorbias, etc that store water in their leaves, stems, or roots. Cacti store water in their stems, their leaves turned into spines. Cacti only come from the Americas. Other plants that can look like cacti fill that ecological niche in Africa and Madagascar (e.g. Pachypodium). There are way more succulents than there are cacti.

Your plant an Echeveria, a rosette forming genus of succulent plants from Mexico. Echeveria 'Doris Taylor' is a cross between species Echeveria setosa and Echeveria pulvinata. Cultivar names can be written like 'Doris Tayor' or as cv. Doris Taylor.

It's good you found us if every other source you found told you your plant was a cactus. All of your other sources were wrong.

BTW, most of us around here think commercial cactus soils suck. We make our own. Search 'soil mix' on this forum to find more information than you probably want to read.

Brad

• plantbunny
    9 years ago

We purchased our succulent plant seven months ago. We are not sure what type it is, but believe it is Echeveria Cristata 'Wooly Rose'. When we first got it the plant was short and dense. It has since grown to be over six inches tall and another stem has grown out on the side. We are not sure if this is normal healthy growth or not. Maybe it is stretching due to light conditions? We have posted a picture and would appreciate any tips.

• fly_gal
    9 years ago

I'm not an expert, but I believe it's leaning towards to window for light. I would rotate the pot regularly.

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

the basic problem is not with the owners but with the growers who sometimes seem to label just any old way.

• hablu
    9 years ago

Hi,
    This seems an etoliated Echeveria pulvinata (type) to me
    greets
    harry

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

At issue with this thread, Harry, is that there are two different posts in one. The original post by ecru was asking about coloration on his/her plant without a picture which was requested but never posted. Then plant bunny posted a picture of his/her plant asking for different information. NB: plant bunny has also posted the same picture and information request in another post on C&S, to which I have responded.

You are correct, IMHO, that the pictured plant is etiolated. I don't believe it is E. pulvinata as pictured. I believe plant bunny's picture is E. 'Doris Taylor'