Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisidewinder06

Can someone help me identify species?

AliSidewinder06
10 years ago

Ok, so my boyfriend and I bought a house. As a housewarming gift we received an aloe plant. It was doing so well and growing so big I had to plant it in the backyard. Shortly after it began making baby aloes. So I would transfer the babies into pots and have them throughout the house and a few in the backyard. Well not only it mama aloe still making babies, now the babies are making babies! I'm not really complaining, I am running out of room and friends to give them to. Is there someway to possibly stop the process or will nurserys take the small ones?

Also can someone tell me what kind it is?
Note that this is one of the "babies"

Comments (7)

• AliSidewinder06
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is mama

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

It could be a number of species (spotted Aloes have many species), but it needs a lot more light - they don't grow as long like that normally. I'd guess A. grandidentata with A. maculata a second guess. Flowers (when you give it more sun you'll likely get them next February / March) will tell all.

• AliSidewinder06
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mama flowers twice a year I've notice. It produces lovely little orange flowers. Yes the first image needs more light, however every time I put it outside even in constant shade the plant burns and becomes brown and soft. It's brothers and sisters did just fine, but this little runt does not like to be outside

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Any plant needs to very gradually be acclimated to full sun -- did the plant burn when it was abruptly put in the sun or part shade from a very shaded place? Sunburn's common, but you can get around the issue. :)

This post was edited by teatree on Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 21:39

• AliSidewinder06
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At first I did the novice move and just put it in direct sunlight thinking oh hey its a cactus type it likes the sun. NOPE! It burned so I brought it inside for it to heal and once it did I did more research. Found out it likes mostly shady so I tried partial day shade burned still, so I tried full shade under its own umbrella to make sure it would remain under the shade. It still burned. It's just this one little plant. The other aloes do perfectly fine, but when I put this one with them it gets upset.

I think of it as the special child of the group. Now it stays inside by the window and it does well but it is not as bright green as its mom or siblings. It receives full sun as long as the shades are open. It seems to want to stay inside. So until I can figure out a way to put it out it will stay inside. I am going to continue to try and move it outside just need to think of a way/place to put it where it will be happy.

AND!!!!!!! I apologize that the pictures are sideways. On my phone they were in the correct position. Now that I got on the computer i see that they are sideways. It is my first day on this site and I am not use to it yet.

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

That is most likely Aloe maculata... and it is a full sun aloe.. .yours is just so unused to sun (thats why the dilapidated, floppy, long-leaved look) that it will burn as any aloe, or succulent for that matter, will burn if not in sun for a long time... you have to take it out slowly - partial morning sun at first for a few months, then maybe full morning sun only for a year... then it should be ready for full sun. Leaves in sun will be about 1/3 that length, thicker and much stiffer... and way more resistant to rot or injury at that point, too.

• AliSidewinder06
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That sounds good. I do want to move it outside. I'll start doing that then. Thank you. :)