spikef35

Help rot

spikef35
9 years ago

It it rot on my philocereus

Comments (11)

• oxboy555
    9 years ago

That mix is too moist and organic. Make some Gritty from the Container Forum or buy a quality cactus mix.

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just watered

• oxboy555
    9 years ago

Your mix holds too much water for too long. It's rotting your plant at its base and is not doing the root ball any favors.

When you pull a cactus or succulent out of its container, the mix should fall away and expose the roots cleanly. That's the sign of a good cactus mix. If you see clumps of dark brown engulfing the roots, it's a bad mix for these types of plants.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

cactus grow in sand ...

your media is at least 50% PEAT ...

peat comes from bogs ...

bogs are not sand ...

see the dichotomy????

bogs hold water.. mother earth sand drains water ...

and no.. sand is not a POTTING media ... so it wont work in a pot either ... get this.. its holds too much water.. because of the pot ...

ken

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you but this is rot right

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

this is probably rot. The point others are trying to make is that your soil is holding too much water. I would strongly recommend getting it into some gritty mix (look up Al's gritty mix on here).

If I recall correctly you have posted before about losing other plants to rot, is this correct? If so, I would strongly recommend switching all your cacti and succulents to gritty mix and/or reevaluating your watering schedule.

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you i already cut the rot out how should I heal it thanks I'll think about gritty mix

• IMCF
    9 years ago

How high above the rot did you cut? you should only see healthy green tissue. After that leave it to callous/scab over; it can take a couple days. Once it's completely calloused it should be ready for rooting- however I haven't experienced cacti rot before so I'm not completely sure how long the rooting process will take. I assume it's similar to succulents where you may want to mist the soil VERY lightly and eventually roots will come out...

Hope that helps :s

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did not cut of the root but cut out all of the rot

• IMCF
    9 years ago

so you cut it in a 'C' shape (almost like someone took a bite out of your cactus)??

a picture would really help!

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

I just chop mine off flat⦠but as mentioned, you should only see green, healthy, juicy cactus at the chop line. I would personally let it callus for a few weeks to a month (this time of year, maybe until spring). Then put in pumice, or if you have no access to pumice, a super gritty mix or even perlite (hard to get a cactus to stand up in perlite, though.. .just falls over). Leave in there a week or two without watering.. then water very sparingly. Check for roots every week or so⦠once you see some, you can plant in regular cactus mix (try to avoid peat as suggested). Good luck!