Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
divana30

Overgrown Succulent ?

divana30
9 years ago

I planted a succulent leaf 6 years ago and now I have this overgrown, rooted monster. It's the only thing that's survived on my balcony, however, at the time I didn't realize the pot was WAY too big for the plant and now it's overcompensating by growing up and out. My thought was to prune all of the flowers off and re-plant them in shallow dirt, like a succulent arrangement. But now I'm scared that it's grown too big and strong (and the roots are so thick and dense) that it can only survive like this. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Comments (2)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

It (your Aeonium arboreum v. atropurpureum) is outstanding in its monster growth habit. While true that the head which has the flowers dies eventually, newer heads grow to replace the dying one. It is a winter-grower primarily, so go light on the summer water. If you're going to prune some of the growing heads, now's the time - let them callous, then place in dirt and water very lightly for a month or so until they root. I'd prune it so that it's a pleasing shape, but then again, I'm not sure I'd prune it at all, as it's also quite pleasing in its wildly-grow-everywhere current state.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    9 years ago

I love Aeoniums!!
    I agree that yours is quite interesting in shape, but it is unruly. If you do want to prune it, you can basically cut it off anywhere and stick the cut portion into the soil. With Aeonium, I don't even wait for callusing -- just prune and plop into your mix.
    F But if it's been six years, I would most definitely repot first and foremost. WhIle they usually have shallow roots, I suspect even so, after six years and that size, they've filled the pot. :)

This post was edited by Sugi_C on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 4:53

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville