Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helga1_gw

How to get Kalanchoe Blossfeldiana to re-bloom?

helga1
18 years ago

I have serveral full plants which I have had on my deck all summer. I never pinched them and I would not mind leaving them that way. I have read they take 14 hrs. of no light. One therefore has to cover them every day at about 6:00 P.M. and remove the dark cloth at 8:00 A.M. (if this is YOUR usual waking time!)for 5-6 weeks.

What is YOUR experience to get them to re-bloom? Where do you grow them? How low can the temperatures get?

Helga.

Comments (33)

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

Wait until Jan-Feb-Mar and they will flower for you, feed them with 0-10-10 fertilizer, and they will definitely flower.
    You are going to have to ask others how low the temps. can go. I live in So. Calif. and I have them out in open run all winter. We seldom go below 28F, the leaves will get frost bitten. The growers forse flowering by withholding light so they can get them on the shelves earlier. Norma

• helga1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Norma. I am not interested in getting them to bloom earlier. The trouble of proviting artificial short days is not worth it to me, but I do enjoy their blooms during the rest of the year.
    You are saying, that if I protect them from frost (I could put them in my low-heat greenhouse) they should bloom on their own? Do you get a lot of blossoms? Do you feed them through the winter?

Helga

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

They will flower longer for you if you cut off the dead flowers promptly, they flower on the tips of the stems of new growth, cut off the old tips (leaves) cut off about 4 leaves. You want to promote new growth for the flowers to form again, continue to water and fertilize if the weather is warm enough, Kalanchoe usually do not like cold and wet.
    Mine flower all year long, in the Los Angeles area. I'm in US 20-21 depending on the year. We have mild winters.

Good luck with them and enjoy the flowers. Don't forget to fertilize. Norma

• helga1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My plants have grown lots of new branches on the old cane. The plants are quite bushy, but I had hardly a bloom on them.(?) The few I did get, I cut off after they were done, but will cut deeper next time, as you suggested. I put them today next to the house (until frost) under a 6 ft. overhang where they get morning sun and are protected from the cold at night. The day temps are still in mid 80s, but the nights dip to mid 40s. I suppose I could still fertilize then.
    Will keep an eye on the weather. Near frost I shall move them into the Greenhouse.

Thank you very much, Norma, and happy Gardening!

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

I grew one from cutting last year and found it flowered without any intervention-am hoping for the same this year.

• helga1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

GreenLarry, please tell me where you had the plan last winter. In the house where it was warm, or some cooler place? Where was it located during the past summer - part/sun or full sun? Did you fertilize? When and how often?

I have had my plants for at least 6 yrs. They grow many new plantlets along the stems, but have had only very few flowers this past year. I don't know if the new plantlets need to be thinned out, or if they can stay on for more flowers?

Hope you'll see this post.

Thanks.

Helga.

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Helga:
    Last summer i got a cutting of a mature plant from my mothers plant.
    I brought it home and potted it in a a pot on a south facing windowsill next to my other succulents.
    I did nothing special to it, just trreated it like an ordinary succulent, and,amazingly, it produced a flower stem in November. The white flowers opened on Demeber 21st and it remained in flower, on the sunniest windowsill until April this year!

• helga1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, Larry, that is why I love this plant! Not sure if I have to make new starts every year to help with blooming, or if an old mother plant with lots of plantlets along the stem can also be brought to bloom?

Helga

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

or if an old mother plant with lots of plantlets along the stem can also be brought to bloom?

Im confused by this, K. blossfeldiana doenst produce plantlets, sounds like you refer to a Bryophylum.

• helga1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

GreenLarry, I was under the impression it is a Blossfeldiana that I have. Could you please post a picture of the bryophyum?

• helga1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

GreenLarry, neither one of yours fits what I have. On the website below you will see my plants.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/greenhouse/photoarchive/photogallery/pages/kalanchoe.html

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

yes those are k blossfeldiana, but whats that about 'young plantlets along the stem' you mentioned earlier?

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Well, I decided to reduce the day length to see if it promotes flowering, as last year it was flowering by now.

I cover it from about 6pm till when i come home from work at 10 30 the next morning.

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

i rescued an abandoned KB 2 yrs ago. i have never seen plantlets/pups on it, only new growth. i put mine into a homemade coldframe (w/xmas lites for warmth) on the first day the weather threatens to drop below 32 and leave until early march, when it is covered in blooms that last for many months. this year, i have several starters inground i plan to leave to see how they handle the clime. like Norma, i live where it rarely falls below 28. in summer it is in full sun 60-70% of the day. i snip a length of foliage and pluck into some dirt to start new plants.
    HTH -
    Jo
    Larry - your tubifloria (pic1) sure looks healthy and happy. i had a mexican hat (pic2) many many years ago.

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

Your green plant I have under the name K. crenodiagramstiana = new name of K. laetivirens, at the Huntington Gardens, I have one sitting on my desk right now at home.

You may want to take a leaf off and give it to a child, have them pin it on the curtain, in a east facing window and watch the bulbils form on the notches of the border.

This was my first plant I had as my own as a child of about 6-7 years old.

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

Helgal, you may want to wait until your Spring and feed it with a 0-10-10 fertilizer, and give it new soil for a jump start. Making sure the soil is very fast draining, with lots of coarse sand and no peat, you may want to add pumice, crushed shell, or grit to give it that good drainage that it needs. Sunlight on a East or North bright wall will help it come into flower. Here we must only give it morning sun, or very bright indirect light. I don't know your growing conditions, so all of the above are options. Norma

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

Helgal, you may want to wait until your Spring and feed it with a 0-10-10 fertilizer, and give it new soil for a jump start. Making sure the soil is very fast draining, with lots of coarse sand and no peat, you may want to add pumice, crushed shell, or grit to give it that good drainage that it needs. Sunlight on a East or North bright wall will help it come into flower. Here we must only give it morning sun, or very bright indirect light. I don't know your growing conditions, so all of the above are options. Norma

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

Norma -
    oy vey! my needs seems so simple: one latin name (for discussing plant w/those in the know) plus one common name (for discussions with those not so much in the know). simple, huh?
    larry's pic1 - i have id'ed as k. tubifloria (near twin to k. serrata "devil's back")
    larry's pic2 - id'ed as k. laetivirens "mexican hat"...have i got this right or no?
    thanks so much for info and patience -
    Jo

• birdinthepalm
    18 years ago

Seems I read they require under 14 hour daylengths to encourage flowering , and by my schedule with our regular shortening days by late August, we should be about right and within two months of that there should be a sign of flower buds. I'm not sseing anything yet, unless my plant doesn't like my calculations, but right now because of my very high indoor humidity, I have a terrible case of powdery mildew or a similar one, on the leaves at present , and I had no problems with that last winter, though I purchased the plants about now (November) and the humidities were dropping in my house by that time, though they never drop below fifty percent all winter. Great for my humidity loving tropicals however, there will be no dehumidifier ever installed in my house. Most likely a small fan would help though?? Just thought of that!!

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Ive been covering it each day, limiting the day length and finally, its starting to flower again!

You can see flower buds inside the black rings, hopefully more to come:

{{gwi:678193}}

• abbyo
    17 years ago

Hi, I just planted my first Kalanchoe. I am in South Florida. Already, half of the flowers are gone. I am not very good with plants, but am trying to turn over a new leaf ( no pun intended). The plants get morning sun & indirect afternoon light, with very little shade. We have very sandy soil here, which really doesn't absorb the water. It runs off, so I really have to get down next to the plant to make sure it gets water. I was under the impression Kalanchoe blooms year round. That's what the info sticker on the plant said. What should I do? Should I cut off the tips of the dead flowers, & hope for the best?

• dufflebag2002
    17 years ago

Keep cutting off the tips that that flowers came from. Mine are starting to flower at this time. You need to force new growth and allow them to get some sun, morning light is enough. Nurseries can force them, they are being grown for the trade. They are spring flowering, yet the professional growers will get them to flower for Christmas.
    North wall is a good place to grow them but not deep shade. Norma

• abbyo
    17 years ago

Thanks Norma. How long from the time you're flowers died, did it take for you to see that it's starting to flower? Also, what should I do about the watering problem? Besides the fact that the water doesn't absorb, we've had no rain here for months, & it's very hot. High 80's every day. Do I need to fertilize? Thanks. Abby

• baci
    17 years ago

Helga1, I have several of these plants that are about the same age as yours. Many have not been trimmed, & I have staked them like a vine. They are traditionally pruned, but I am trying to experiment with a different appearance. They all bloomed this year. I use an extended-release fertilizer when potting & try to fertilize during the bloom time.

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

I keep my Kalanchoes outdoors until first frost which can be in Oct or Nov. After bringing them back in, they are set in a semi-cool room in a west window. This does the trick..I start seeing buds anywhere between Dec through Feb. Last yr they started blooming in Dec and are still packed w/flowers. Toni

• abbyo
    17 years ago

Toni, do you do anything to your plants to help them re-bloom, or do you just leave them be?Abby

• saturnine
    16 years ago

i have Kb too, and i think something closely related to it , but mine grow very much in height and are a bit barren, not bushy , they have lots of sun and 2 of them grew really big like monsters with enormous leaves but none of them blossomed. If i have a central plant , in the pot will appear numerous baby plants i believe from the root underneath and i cut them off because i noticed that the ,more they are the thinner they remain and barren . i was so curious about the ones in shops which is where i got my first plants as gifts look so good, all bushy and small with lots of flowers, i tried to maintain but it was in vain, how can i get mine to even resemble the ones in the shops with just one main plant and as i described above ? should i trim? because i think they are wasting on the baby plants and growing too big and never flowering . thank you .

• musicmyers_knology_com
    12 years ago

I do not know where to cut the spent blossom off,I need help one plant I cut the dead flower off and can see the new buds. One I cut them off and see no new buds.Can someone tell where I cut the old flowers off thank you.Marilyn

• 4kinishy_optonline_net
    12 years ago

My, my, my what is the problem here? This is one of the easiest plants to grow. Here is what you do. They are a succulent right - so they love the sun and the heat. Do not water often but do spray them daily in the hottest of weather. Remove the totally dried out buds with your fingers and when they get too leggy certainly do snip the stems back. In the winter bring them inside on a south or southwest facing window. Water once a month or so. They will look a bit ugly after the winter but here is what you do now. Cut them down severely, don't let them stay leggy. And in March or April put them outside. They will get beautiful new green leaves and by late June they will start blooming for you all summer long. I've been growing these plants for about 20 years.

• Blondmyk
    9 years ago

I'm so frustrated by My K Blossfeldiana that I'm yanking my hair out. I got this plant from my Mother (posthumously) after it had bloomed in her nursing home window for a solid 8 months (NO exaggeration). About three weeks after I got it home (OVER a year ago), the main stems began to dry out and all I was left with were green leaves on dead stalks. I have transplanted those into about 6 new pots and all now seem to be thriving plants...without blooms. I appreciate all the advice here, and I'll certainly give it a shot with the fertilizer, but I was sure hoping for blooms from it starting this Oct. which was the month that she originally got it...when it started blooming. Has anything new been discovered since this was originally discussed in 2011?

• Iris 2.0
    7 years ago

I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments-wonder if you can help me . I moved to my parents this year and fell in love with a plant my mom was about to toss out. Plant and I have bonded as we've both been in healing mode but now she seems ready for next step in care and I'm not sure what she is or what to do.

• litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
    7 years ago

Since your post isn't related to blooming you might want to start a new thread if your post doesn't get attention. People are very helpful here, though, so you might wait and see what happens.