Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Help ID Old Succulent

Posted by JMDuncan CA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 16:52

Please help me Identify this Succulent? My Mother had it in a pot root bound for 30+ years, I removed it and put it in the ground and now I am scared it is dying and want to repot it. I would love to know what it is so I can read up on it. I appreciate any feedback. I am new to this and learning. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Help ID Old Succulent

looks like Aloe noblis, or possibly Aloe 'Crosby's Prolific'.

o

Thank You!!! :)

o

I'm curious as to why you think it is dying? Aloes naturally turn a reddish brown color when over-exposed to the sun, sort of like a suntan or sunburn. Yours looks perfectly healthy to me.

Nancy

o

Nancy- I was over reacting I suppose. I don't have much knowledge..learning. Now that I know what it is I looked up the info. and saw that I was mistaken. :) Thank You!

o

You're welcome! If you get some shade over it, it will return to green fairly quickly, but some people like the reddish look.

Nancy

o

Orgive it some water and that might moderate the red, or atleast the dehydrated part of the stress.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 15:46

Like other posters said, it looks good--just in its summer colors. It's going to be perfectly happy in the ground unless drainage is poor or you get heavy frost. You can hedge your bets by potting up a piece of it, and leaving the rest in the ground.

o

Yea plants produce their own form of sunscreen (flavones) which also helps protects new shoots from bright sun and frost in spring.

o

it does look thirsty...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here