Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petrushka_gw

DIY drip watering for succulents/cacti

petrushka (7b)
10 years ago

i am trying to figure out if my succulents can be auto-watered with some kind of drip system indoors in winter , dec-jan. i have moderate to good light with 2-3 hours of mid day western sun . my temps will be about 65F day to 60F night.
so on the cool side.
i need to rig smth up for 6-8 weeks. i can't use standard drip systems that hook up to a faucet . and am not familiar with commercial drips that much - the ones with a large water-container and multi-lines. but somehow i think that they drip too much for my purposes. am i mistaken?
originally i was going to use this system for my bromeliads - they need to keep water in the throat-funnel at all times...and it needs to be fresh and not from the faucet.
but then i thought it could be applied to succulents too.
i am planning to set up a drip-bottle like they use for vivariums: from what i researched so far i can set up a drip as slow as 1 drop in 2 min. this can be halved by using a splitter.
so i calculated that in 3 days this can deliver about 100ml of water per drip (about 7tb) or with a splitter 50ml each for 2 ( about 3tb).
i can set up multiple bottles dripping in individual pots or dripping into some sort of reservoir with a wicking mat.
i could then place pure clay pots onto the wicking mat and they will absorb some water which will be then disbursed thru the walls to roots. i cannot interrupt the drip - it'll drip until it runs out of water.

i have small cacti, hawortias, aloes and euphorbias mostly in 4" unglazed clay pots.
mature large jades (about 2' high in 6-7" fully glazed clay pots) - very root bound.
and common sansevieria laurentii - mature, quite large 2-3'high in var unglazed pots 6" -7"-8".
since the temps will be on the low side i am afraid of over-watering.
i can leave it all unwatered for 6 weeks and see what happens ;).
mostly they all should be ok, i think.
i am thinking that wicking method for small 4" pots would be best. but that will create water-loss thru evaporation - which i have no idea how to estimate percentage wise. any idea, very approximate?
wicking will allow me to group sev small pots and set up 1 drip per 'box'.
at a rate of 50ml per week i will need only a pint for 2 months.
or for larger pots 100ml per week - about a quart for 2 months.
i will be setting up try-drips starting this week as a trial.
i am specifically interested in anybody's experience with succulents, not other plants. and not outside/garage/porch/etc, but in a heated indoor area.
all of my plants are in some sort of std cactus mix with perlite/bark added. farely light, but still has some peat.
my indoor humidity is farely high even in winter - around 60%, since i have many other large plants too.
the link below explains how to set up DIY drip system,
but i'll be using larger water-bottles, of course.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY water-drip bottle

Comments (2)