Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Root Rot on Old Man Cactus?

Posted by Blondmyk none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 17:10

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum and fairly new to Garden Web (about three weeks) and I'm really enjoying all the great information that you are providing to us newbies. Today I have a question that you've all probably answered a thousand times before, but I honestly just can't tell by using info provided...does my cactus have root rot?

I'll be honest and say that by all rights it should have root rot. It's been in an area of the yard that gets water everyday, placed there accidentally and I''m not the only one who waters. I'm including photos of the cactus, one close up, and hopefully you can tell me and make suggestions what to do if I DO have root rot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Man Cactus Rot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root Rot on Old Man Cactus?

Is it soft where it is dark and right above it where it is slightly yellowish?

o

I actually haven't given it a good solid push in to see just how soft it is because it has thorns...lol. What I have noticed is that since I've let it completely dry out, it's lost part of it's root system and half of the plant lifts up when I touch the cactus and it looks like the roots have dried up and broken. I don't know whether that's due to rot, but I'm imagining it is. I will go out tomorrow morning with a pair of gloves and give it a good going over, checking for soft spots.

Thank you for your time with this.

o

I think that if you find rot that one can cut the bad tissuee off and cut till one has absolutely no discoloration, dust it with cinnamon ( great fungicide) let it callus for a good week or so till it has made a hard skin and then plant it back in a pot of fast draining soil and keep it out of rain and watyering till it roots. might be awhile. A little misting is alright but no watering. The cactus needs roots to take up water.. You could use rocks to help hold it up.

Wait till others chime in. There are others that know more than me.

o

Thank you guys, so much, for your help. I went out and did some pressure tests on the cactus. I guess I've let it dry out well enough, because I didn't feel any mush, but it looks like about half the roots on one side of the cactus are gone. I can lift up half of the plant, but the other side is still anchored. If it is rot, it doesn't seem to be spreading.

Do you tnink it best that I just let it continue to dry out for 3-4 weeks and then resume monthly watering? Since the rot isn't spreading, do you think it's going to be safe?

If the rot spreads, I'll do the surgery to save the plant though. I'll probably need more advice at the time.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here