Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jade_man

Crassula obliqua mutation

jade_man
13 years ago

in the middle of this summer i started a bunch of leaf cuttings or pluckings, or what ever you want to call it the idea is a single leaf starts a new plant. i like using this method, you never can be sure of exactly what you may get. this appears to be a mutation. three leaves at a time, not 2 by 2 like normal jade plants. has anyone ever seen this? it has carried on to it's second set of leaves, so i believe that this will be it's normal growths habit.

{{gwi:678479}}

{{gwi:678480}}

Comments (25)

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Wait and see if it continues to mutate. This is going to be very interesting how it works out, good luck, keep us posted. Norma

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

That's very cool Jade Man...let us know later.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Fantastic!

Doug, could it be the beginning of a "branching," where we're only seeing three of the four emerging leaves?
    Thanks!

Josh

• jade_man
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh,

i don't think so. this would be the second set of 3. it does not seem like branching to me at least at this point. with this photo you can see the first set of 3 leaves. so i am thinking that the second set will continue on with this pattern.

{{gwi:678481}}

• jade_man
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well this is not the exact same plant, but it would be a sister started from a leaf from the same plant at the same time and this one had gone unnoticed until recently. but this one is on it's 4th set of three leaves. i think that it may continue, i hope.

{{gwi:678482}}
    a closer look
    {{gwi:678483}}

Doug

13 years ago

It looks like a winner!
    Thanks for providing the update, Doug.

Josh

• jade_man
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh,

i hope so! that would be fantastic! another set or two, or maybe a branch, and i will be completely convinced.

Doug

• woodnative
    13 years ago

Good observation...........and I hate to dissapoint, but this comes up fairly regularly with all types of plants with opposite leaves. The branch you are observing will most likely continue to grow its leaves in groups of 3, but any side branches will most likely be normal leaf pairs. Still, it is fun to watch what happens next....

• jade_man
    Original Author
    13 years ago

this plant was started from a leaf. it does have two other sister plants starting from the same leaf and they are normal. my interest is in the fact that this particular plant is not putting out the usual sets of leaves 2 by 2, it is putting out 3 by 3 sets. so i hape that this continues for the rest of this plants life and i will separate it, and propagate it.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Why are you calling it a mutation. What us different? Norma

• jade_man
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Norma,

i am calling this a mutation because it is putting out 3 leaves at each node, not 2 like every other jade plant that i have ever seen. seems different to me.

Doug

• gmaculata
    13 years ago

Doug That is great I have a mutation of Crassula ovata that I need to post a pic of It has raised ridges on the leaves I have shared it with a few people and also started some plants from leaves and it comes true I am trying to pick leaves that have more ridging and prop from those to see if I can get even better mutation

Glen

13 years ago

Glen,
    from which Crassula ovata is your plant mutated?
    I'd love to see a pic.

Josh

• jade_man
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glen,

that is great. i would also love to see a picture!

Doug

• gmaculata
    13 years ago

I will get a few pics and post in a new thread so I don't high jack this one. Glen

• jade_man
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glen,

high jack away my friend!

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Doug I just posted a message to you on page 1. I forgot as the page fills it moves down, Now of course I'm not sure of this until you wait and see if the old growth is flat, and it probably is to young to tell at this time. Just out curiousity are the leaves slightly blue. I am going to be 79 this month, I am still am very curious. As a child I took alarm clocks aprart and put them back. That developed my memory. I can't wait to find out what is really happening with your plant. Norma

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

I hope your are not offended by my post, and I may be dead wrong I am not guessing, I have a cutting in front of me that is doing the same thing, I don't know what causes the mutation. I don't remember how long I have had this plant and much I have of it. I did notice that the leaves are flat, but I didn't observe how many leaves to each new growth. It has not reverted. Norma

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Mutation seems to occur in many species of
    Crassula I had a small collection of this mutation, all were crested. Echevieria, Sedum, a few Crassula, Cotyledon, etc. I even still have a few crested Gasteria, which are hybrids, so I don't know if that counts. Norma

• jade_man
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Norma,

no i was not offended in any way. i have been busy and did not see your posts. the leaves are very green.

Doug

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

well that settled that I am wrong.
    Thanks for the response. I think this is going to be just great. I am now wondering if the branches will flatten out. Mine does not have three leaves but a true crested plant it is about 12" high and very full, and I even have a larger one in open run, so I must go and look for what that looks like at this time. I'm excited about your plant and thanks for the input. Norma

• gmaculata
    13 years ago

I am sorry to all but I can't seem to figure out how to attach pics?? SORRY for being dumb

• jade_man
    Original Author
    13 years ago

this would be the 5th set of leaves that is 3 by 3 not 2 by 2. i think that it is pretty well set in it's ways.

{{gwi:678484}}

and a close up.
    {{gwi:678485}}

here is a mutation that seems to be a bit of a slow grower but unique. it is 1 by 1 so far.
    {{gwi:678486}}

Doug

13 years ago

This is great news! Congratulations, Doug.

Josh

• jade_man
    Original Author
    11 years ago

funny this thread was linked to. i had been meaning to update this thread for a while. hard to tell from this photo, but this plant is now about 4" tall. i picked off a 2 triple sets of leaves due to sun damage last year. and it is still growing true to it's mutation. thx for looking

Doug