An Aloe blooming

Pretty_yet_painful
11 years ago

I think this is Aloe deltoideodonta.

Thanks for looking. :)

Comments (12)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Very nice. Mine is behind you by several weeks. It is just now showing bloom buds breaking out of the creases. So far , I am counting 4 bloom tips on the clump of rosettes. My A deltoedeodonta var fallax is still pre first bloom.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

PYP,

There are lots of A. d. as you and Mara note - there are at least three or for more. Here's the one Mara mentions (also can be known as Aloe deltoideodonat v. candicans)

{{gwi:678551}}

I have another which I'll get a picture of - I don't know the subspecies name.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Here are the ones I have today. They are just starting.

{{gwi:678553}}

No bloom on this one yet.

{{gwi:678555}}

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

Mara, those photos. My gosh, they are beauties--counting the plants too. I would love to get my hands on either of those. The striping on the second just kills me. That is SUCH a gorgeous Aloe.

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

What do you folks attribute an aloe blooming to? I have had just normal aloe vera for a few years and the growth is astounding (imo) and because of this the plant has been repotted/pups removed a few times. I live in STL, MO (zone 6) and keep the (and most of my plants) out doors in our three seasons room (a portion of our deck that has a roof and is framed in with windows all around it) and bring them indoors about this time of the year. I have never seen a flower.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Teatree,The black shadow really makes the green pop,maybe too much. I should tone that color down a bit. I might have a pup out their that I have been rooting but it might be spoken for. I am getting ready for a plant swap this weekend in San Antonio. It looks like you have been bitten by the aloe bug. You have it bad and it can only get worse.

bsmith, How many years is a few years. Some aloes take several years others are quicker. I also do not know if I can help you because I grow them in texas and do not know what your problems are . I do know that aloes want to be outside in the sun as much as possible. I have trouble with some of my aloes. I started fertilizing them with every watering with a diluted fertilizer. I am hoping that is what will get my aloe capitata and Aloe cameronii to let loose with a bloom. they are large enough..

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

Three years roughly. I only fertilize with granular miracle grow houseplant but I also water with water that is sucked out of my planted fish tanks where i dose NPK and Micros daily.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I have aloes older than three years that are still pre first bloom. I don't know what to say but "Patience Grasshoper". Maybe someone else has more practical advice.

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

Im completely fine with that. Just didnt know that was the case. Thank you.

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

The bug may have gotten me, Mara. It may have. The Aloe deltoideodonta var. candicans bug bit me about a year ago, and that striping is partly why I picked up that little blue Aloe/probably glauca of mine...it's certainly no deltoideodonta, but a hint of striping and I'll take it. And I agree, the black background perhaps helps saturate the color more than is true to life, but the shot's still a stunner.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Though I am certainly no expert on this species of Aloe, it seems there is a lot of confusion about what is what... Aloe deltoidodonta has several varieties, the most recognizable being the form fallax, which has frequently been misidentified as either Aloe ibitiensis or as Aloe deltoideodonta var candicans. Aloe deltoideodonta candicans does NOT have lineate leaves (like your plant above).. it is one of the rarest of this species in cultivation, mostly perhaps because it is one of least interesting. This variety has rather dull leaves of pale green or pale blue and a flower that is distinctly red (not the pale salmon flowers of the more common striped variety fallax). Your plant in the photo is actually Aloe deltoideodonta var fallax. In my opinion that is the best of the group, though there are some very nice clones of the type species as well, with super wide, deltoid leaves. here is a photo of the blue form of Aloe deltoideodonta var candicans.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Oh lovely Aloes!!

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!