Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breton2

Turface and Mesembs?

breton2
9 years ago

Hello
This summer I started growing many of my succulents in my own variation of gritty mix, which consist of approximately 1/1/1 turface, large grit, and lean garden soil. So far my plants have done incredibly well, particularly my various jades. I have several Lithops and Conophytums which are due for reporting, and am tempted to try them in a gritty-type mix, but have seen little mention of growers using this type of mix for Mesembs. I've also read they like a finer substrate than most gritty mixes.

I am curious to hear if anyone has any experience with these plants and turface-based mixes. I am tempted to repot the Conophytums soon, as they are blooming now, but will likely leave the Lithops till spring...

Happy growing!
Breton

Comments (4)

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

My mesembs are also in my own version of "grittier mix", which is around 2:2:1 of Turface, chicken grit, and cactus soil, plus a pinch of perlite and vermiculite. They are all having a great time in it so far, some took longer to set in and take watering well than others.

I've had a few versions of soil since in Ontario it's really hard to for me to find most ingredients needed for a good mix...
    My mesembs collection as of now include a pot of adult Lithops, a pot of Lithops yearlings, baby's toes, Faucaria tigrina, Pleiospilos nelii Royal Flush, and Argyroderma crateriforme.

• breton2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks David
    That is pretty much the proportions was thinking of, except that I use lean garden soil instead of cactus soils, since I can't find cactus soil without peat in it.
    I have managed to find all the usual ingredients here in Nova Scotia, but the repti- bark was prohibitively expensive , after sifting, for the number of plants I have. I tried this mix with a few jades and was not impressed with the results. They have done much better for me with some garden soil in the mix instead of the bark.
    So I think I will repot the Lithops into this mix next spring. I am hoping someone will chime in with thoughts about Conophytums...

My other Mesembs include A cheridopsis or two, a Pleispilos neili "Royal Flush", an Argyoderma delatii, and several old tiny Lithops.. I am sure I am missing some, it is to early here to think too much!!

Happy growing
    Breton

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Sounds good, I think they will love that :)
    Yeah I'm only using the cactus mix because I bought two bags of it... I sift out the twigs and barks from it though. And I don't use a large amount so hopefully the peat won't bother my plants too much. Your collection sounds lovely, would love to see some pics!

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    9 years ago

They do fine in a very gritty mix.
    This one is in lava rock, pea gravel and screened perlite with a small splash of fir bark...really big chunks (3/8).

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting