Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desert Rose trunk growth?

Posted by ryan_tree 7a VA (thebonsaiguy1993@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Oct 30, 10 at 17:30

Hey everyone,

I am planning on buying a Desert Rose in the next few days. I always see them with the big, thick trunks. I also plan on using this DR for bonsai. I will train it to look like a baobab. Does anyone know how quickly the trunks grow on these? Do they like to be root bound? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desert Rose trunk growth?

Ryan, growth time depends on your definition of speed. lol. DR are not the fastest growers. They're succulents, and most sux require patients. Some more than others.

IMO, DR prefer being root bound. Similar to growing bonsai.
Of course, DR are worth the wait...Toni

o

Thanks Toni!

I was just wondering how long it would take to really beef up a DR. When/if I get mine I will be sure to leave it root bound. Thank you!

o

Toni..Do desert roses prefer really being root bound? Is it to avoid over watering, or does one get better growth if so? Does the trunk grow faster?

Thank you..:-)

Mike

o

I have a ton of these due to the fact I have no will power and they jump in my cart at the nursery. I haven't found, here in my climate, any differences in growth rates if they are potbound or in a big container. Some if mine are in bonsai containers-bf is into bonsai and will steal my plants if he gets a chance. They grow much faster here than up north because of our longer growing season and usual lack of bad winters. I have found the smaller the pot the more I have to water. They seem to like a lot of water, at least for me.
When you buy one try and get one that has a fat trunk as opposed to a more elongated one, I've found the fatter ones keep getting fatter but the more elongated keep getting taller.
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here