Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nil13

Hunting at the Huntington.

nil13
10 years ago

I scored a few choice plants today at the first day of the fall plant sale.

There is 'Bantels Sensation' Sans., Sedum dendroideum 'Colossus' which is supposed to get 3m tall., Agave zebra 'superspiny', Agave toumeyana ssp. bella, and Agave filifera 'compacta'.

Hopefully I can restrain myself tomorrow when I go with the wife. She on the other hand.... I have to remember a cart.

Comments (19)

• nil13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That list is from left to right back to front. obviously.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

I hope my bantel gets that big. Mine are all around 12 inches. But maybe I should feel lucky, this time of year finding a place to put them.
    Stush

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Nice. Were there a gazillion people there? I've never been brave enough to try their sale.

• Lars
    10 years ago

I wish I had known about their sale, as I had a friend visiting from Sacramento who would have enjoyed it. Do they have an email list? I went to the Spring sale at the L.A. county arboretum and got some nice bromeliads but could always use a new one or two. Soon I will have to be giving them away, when I run out of space.

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Are the variegated Sans' the same care as regular?

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Camellia,
    I can answer your question about the var. Sans. They require the same care with that, understand the all green types are more forgiving. A cold draft or a little too much water during the winter months spells disaster. They must be kept warm and dry. Watch watering during winter. Too much sun can burn their leaves, giving brown spots. That's why they are more expensive. They are harder to grow.
    Stush

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Stush, Thank you for your help!

• nil13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

actually hoovb, the turn out was very low this year. Usually, the sale is under te jacaranda allée at the entrance and is free. Well, the jacarandas are boxed and gone while they build a whole new entrance so the show was in the propagation nursery. That meant that in order to go to the show you had to pay admission and I think that effected attendance. That plus the fact that they didn't have to schlep flats all the way out to the entrance meant that the selection this year was epic. I'm still kicking myself for not buying all te 5 packs of Furcraea bulbils for $5/pack.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's our day 2 haul. The wife went a little nuts.

• nil13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And then after finding out what that Impatiens that I picked up blindly after overhearing the recommendation of a fellow plant nut, she decided we needed to pick up a couple more. So day three happened.

Here is a link that might be useful: Huntington day 3.

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Looks like you had a successful trip all 3 times :)

Ah, and the furcraea...hard to believe they die after flowering but have tons of seeds to drop

• senjanevada
    10 years ago

Same here, I missed the event.

Fyi, there will be CS Show n Sale at LA Arboterium, this coming week-end. Unfortunatelly, I won't be able to go again.

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

One of these days (years), I will make it to that event!

You have quite the haul there, Nil ~even with wife going nuts! I would've gone back 2nd & 3rd day, too, if I had the opportunity! You're my kind of shopper! =)

Thank you for listing all the names, as well as showing the pix! I enjoyed the drooling! I especially liked that Haw 'Three Cornered Hat' (I think it was).

Congrats on so many choice cart-jumpers!

• nil13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

roro, check out that Haw's flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:678690}}

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

Wowser! THAT has to be THEE longest Haw inflorescence I have ever seen! :D Is that you in the pic?

(I've also been wondering/curious for a while now about your location. What/where is Mt. Washington L?)

• nil13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

no that's not me. That's a pic from the Huntington.

The header for the post has a character limit on location, but the full location shows up in the member page. It's Mount Washington, L.A., CA. . I can see the lights of Dodger Stadium from my living room.

• nil13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

there we go, the location should be clearer now. Don't worry, you weren't the first to be a bit thrown by it. Someone thought I was in New Hampshire once.

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Yeah I thought you were from Washington state, but you're actually close to me in LA.

I wish I had known about that sale too, looks like you got some great plants. Some really rare species I've never seen.
    Thanks for sharing the pics

• nil13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope people were able to make it out to the Cactus and Succulent Society show and sale at the Arboretum last weekend as well. There were some pretty great plants to be had there too. I picked up a Mammillaria herrerae, yay.

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

Thanks for the enlightenment on all counts. Makes much more sense now. :)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living