Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zenzero_gw

Christmas Cactus

zenzero
10 years ago

I re-potted my old Christmas cactus this summer, its very old and was very root bound. It goes out on the porch for summer every year. The pot was a self watering type and I drowned the plant. Leaves turned red and are limp. I have since took out the drain plug, Now the plant is inside. How do I correct the soil? Can I bring this plant back? Should I keep a plant light on it? Any help will be appreciated, thanks

Comments (11)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

It's a Thanksgiving Cactus :-)
    About the soil...what kind of soil? Bark-based mix or even pure "Orchid Bark" is the best potting mix that I've yet found for these Holiday Cacti. Looks to have had plenty of light so far.

Josh

• zenzero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just used a succulent mix potting soil. This is last years blooms.

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

It's gorgeous. Josh knows what he's talking about as far as the soil mix you should go with. I'm just worried the plant could have rotted, so I'd check the roots and make sure they and any lower portions of the plant aren't mushy/rotten. Remove any rotten portions and re-root the pieces, with some time.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

My Christmas cactus, about one sixth the size of the above photoed one and only a few years old, rotted at the base while I was gone due to copious fall rains. Can it be rooted as one part higher up the base or does it need to be divided into many smaller sections. I suspect that new small roots will not be able to support the large section.

• nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
    10 years ago

It depends,If the plant was small enough it is worth a shot. I had a large yellow one with long arching stems which began to rot at the base this spring. I wasn't able to reroot the entire plant (it began to fall apart prety fast), but I did get several healthy pots of cuttings out of the deal. I would suggest repotting a couple of pots with multiple pieces.

• jen654
    10 years ago

I agree with greenman28...it's a Thanksgiving Cactus. :)

As for the purple colored wilting leaves...was the cactus put in a different location from last year where it got more sun this year? Then I would say just keep it out of direct sun.
    If the color change was not due to too much sun, then it could be a nutrient problem maybe caused by the watering problem. You could try plant food and see if that helps, but that is just a guess.
    Good luck with it. And good job getting it to bloom. I have a small TC and have trouble trying to get it to bloom. Did you do anything special or does it just bloom on it's own?

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks, night, for your comments. I divided it to root as four sections.

• zenzero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the responses.
    I am going to re-pot it with Orchid bark this time. The roots are pretty bound so the potting mix will just be on bottom and sides unless I break it up some. I also read about adding a little hydrogen peroxide to the water. I hope I can bring it back.
    The plant really took off because a few years ago I started putting it on the front porch every spring, Its been thriving and blooming great every year since then...until now,

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Get as much of the old mix out of those roots as possible. Very important not to have two differently textured mixes in the same pot.

Josh

• zenzero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh, and sorry for posting in two threads I'm a noob here.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

I too use orchid bark for these, works perfectly.