Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imcfu

haworthia and aloe update (help)

IMCF
9 years ago

So a while back I posted about a dying haworthia and aloe ..

(http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0903154030241.html)

the haworthia now seems to be doing fine, although roots are coming in ridiculously slow, as in there is probably only 1 cm of root growth, but other than that it doesn't seem to be dying or anything.

The Aloe vera however, I'm not quite sure if the roots haven't grown in enough the absorb water (all the old roots eventually 'fell off' so it was a stump) but the ends of the outer leaves seem to be drying up and even turning slightly red. There doesn't seem to be much new growth above soil either. On the bright side, the soft section that was perviously sitting in moist soil has now stiffened back up.

Is my Aloe dying?? Or does the slow recovery have to do with lack of roots and changing seasons?

*I keep all my plants indoors and have also switched over to the gritty mix.

will provide pictures later today

Comments (6)

• hablu
    9 years ago

Hi,
    hard to tell without pictures; but for most Haworthia's and Aloe it is mostly not a big problem to wait untill spring before rooting again.( IF they stand perfectly dry and not to warm)
    Harry

• IMCF
    Original Author
    9 years ago

curled 'drying' leaf

• IMCF
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also noticed that my haworthia is sprouting roots a bit faster now, could it be because the weather has been cooling down? (winter grower and all)

The new roots are a bit fuzzy (like peach fuzz) is this normal? I've also noticed this on some of my sedums since switching to the gritty mix, but I thought it may be because what i used before (c&s soil mix) was sort of sludge-like so it wouldn't be noticeable.

Thanks all!

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I recently puchased an Aloe like yours on clearance for $2 that had extensive root rot. After cutting off the rotten roots and placing it in new soil, I also have a leaf dying off just like yours appears to be doing. I can tell that it's beginning to root itself though because when I tug on it, I feel some resistance.

I think it's trying to use up it's reserves while it's re-rooting. I don't think your Aloe is dying. Leaves die from old age from time to time too, but I don't think that's the case here. However, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Planto

• Jaredhello
    9 years ago

I've noticed that those zebra haws tend to grow very slowly, and seem to be primarily winter growers.

So, in the next few months you should notice it starting to ramp up growth hopefully. Mine have suddenly started to wake up after a summer of not doing anything. New leaf growth and such.

• IMCF
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm ok, that's encouraging to know :)

My aloe seems to be getting healthier (although still quite sad looking) since switching over to the gritty mix. I noticed today I couldn't pull it out anymore so that's got to be a good sign for root development