Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecosse_gw

Went to a Cactus/Succulent show, and 2 followed me home....

ecosse
16 years ago

Hi all

Wonder if someone could flesh out the basic care and feeding instructions I was given when I ransomed a couple of succulants from a garden show. One is labeled (got to get a digital cam) "haworthia emelyae picta 2/89". It's flawless, a mounded triple rosette in a 4?in. round and tall pot. It fills it, and is about 3.5in tall. The directions I got were "not too much light, but not too little, not too much heat, but not not below 40 degrees, they like being pot bound, and it'll tell you when it wants water"

The other is labeled "anacampseros rufescens variegata" in a 3in(diagonal) square pot, less than 1in. tall,looks all the world like a little mound of pink, heart shaped pebbles.

No instructions on that.

I'm thinking I might want to repot, pot up. Can they go together? How big should one go pot-wise? Keep em tight? Can they go outside? Sun? Right now they are in their original little plastic pots sitting by a south window..

I have a large cactus bowl that thrives-a good cactus mix, nice top dressing. I let it dry out darn near completely, then drench. Feed lightly once-twice a year. If I repot, I use dry mix, don't water for a week. Its on my south facing balcony, it gets rough there in summer, even with shade cloth awning.

I have a feeling that sort of treatment is waay too harsh for these guys, so any advcice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    16 years ago

Southern Nevada! That's worth checking, just to make sure you're not in Scotland :)

Both of these plants can grow in full sun in England (or Scotland!) but will need some shade in Nevada. How much is partly up to you. They will become more strongly coloured and more compact with more sun, but the more sun you give them the more risk of scorched patches on the leaves. Plus you might not like the "authentic" burnt offering appearance :)

I would try especially with the Anacampseros to give it as much light as possible, they tend to become tall and floppy, even as trailing plants, and I don't find that attractive. The variegated form is especially prone to scorching though.

The Anacampseros is fairly easy to water. Water it thoroughly and then let it dry out. Water again when it starts to get a bit soft or wrinkled. Overwatering will cause it to produce big fat leaves, grow very tall and floppy, and eventually probably keel over from rot. I would stop watering almost completely in winter, you will probably have to water year round.

Watering for the Haworthia really is hard to describe. I water year round, only drenching the plant once or twice a year but not letting them dry out for long. Descriptions from hot climates are that the plants will become dormant in summer and very sensitive to rot. Watch for this and if the plants seem happy enough to sit there in summer without water, then don't force the issue.

Repotting sounds like a good idea, your cactus soil will be fine. You may find it tricky to keep them in the same bowl. How about potting them individually and then sinking them into a larger bowl? Both will flower. Haworthia produces very long flower stems with multiple flowers but the flowers are very forgettable, you might wish to dock the flower stems once you've checked one out and realised they are not worth the effort ;) Anacampseros flowers are produced on fairly tall leafed stalks and are quite showy, but each one only opens for a few hours on one afternoon, or not at all if it is cool and dull. They will produce a succession of flowers, right through summer in my climate, possibly at different times in yours. They are self-fertile and will seed themselves everywhere if you don't deadhead.

• ecosse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lol! Well, ecosse is my trivia quiz handle, my heritage (Gran was born in Leith, her parents from Banff), and my favorite cool weather drink (a nice Macallan or Glenfiddich, preferably in their late teens ;-) Have some great memories of many trips to my friendÂs inn up in the Angus GlensÂ

But! Thank you so much for taking the time to give me all this great information! This time of year, the sun is getting low here and the weather is mild, so those little guys can go out on my balcony. It gets sun from dawn until mid-afternoon, but the shade cloth awning filters it to about 50%. I can always make sure they are not in direct light . If there is a chance it will get even near freezing come Jan., they can come inside. In the summer, once it starts going over 100, same thing. Even after 10 days, Anacampseros seems to be greening slightly, so it goes (filtered) sunbathing. The meter is still showing moist, so no need to water. I saw a photo on the web that was overgrown and floppy, so IÂm grateful to know that can be prevented, and keep that pebbly look at least to a point-mine is almost totally pink at the moment.

Haworthia is dark green with white web-like striping. Very sculptural and striking. Heard mine was propagated 1989? Is that possible? Saw photo of one on the web all brownish as well (davesgarden.com), so IÂll give it judicious light. It was dry meter wise, so it got a drink (canÂt fit a semi-educated finger in the pots, ergo the moisture meter).

I believe IÂll find them each their own decorative clay pots (shouldÂve gotten some at the show, but the ransom was already steep) in a color that will compliment them.

When repotting, should the mix be on the dry side, as we do a cactus? Would you water in right away, or let them rest dry for a few days? Cactus succumbs to rot if you water right after planting..

The flowering situation sounds intriguing-one of my cactus has blooms that are striking, but fleeting. The old 35 mm is always on the ready for it!

Thanks again!

• imjustgil
    16 years ago

Try this site for Haworthia culture...

Here is a link that might be useful: Haworthia site

• ecosse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great site! It saves sorting through all of the stuff that comes up when "googled" Thanks!

• ecosse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm. Been websearching and I wonder if my "anacampseros rufescens variegata" is actually an "anacampseros telephiastrum variegata". It is more 75% bright pink...

Here is a link that might be useful: Looks more like this, just tiny yet