Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
_sbgibbons_

Aeonium id and help, please.

_sbgibbons_
9 years ago

A few months ago, I bought this Aeonium (not sure what kind) at a yard sale with a bunch of other succulents. They were very badly infested with Mealybugs, so I kept them separated from all my other plants and treated them. Now, I'm 99% positive the mealies are gone and I'd like to go ahead and repot this guy and give it a good whack, although I'm not really sure how to go about that. It's very tall! I'd say around 3ft and it is finally starting to have some new growth (the mealies really did a number on it). I'm not really sure how to go about trimming it. Can someone give me advice as to how to do this? Thanks in advance, Sam. :)

{{gwi:679291}}

This post was edited by Sbgibbons on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 12:57

Comments (6)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Sam,

That's about the cutest harlequin GD woofenheimer I've seen in a while, and I like that you haven't docked the ears.

As to the Aeonium, I'd at a glance guess that it's A. arboreum, but more growth is needed. Just whack it level, and you can use the cuttings for more plants, or whack to your heart's content - there's no real 'right' way. As an FYI, it will grow better in the ground, particularly along central and southern coastal California.

• dirt_farmer
    9 years ago

HI,
    I couldn't find anything googling harlequin GD woofenheimer, so I hope you can tell me what that is ? I'm guessing its something specific to dalmatians. I say that because the dog looks like a dalmatian to me. I remember hearing that a lot of dalmatians are deaf, an unfortunate trait of this breed. I also heard that because of deafness it causes them to be unfriendly.
    I'm not trying to criticize your choice of pets because I can also tell you of Dalmatian owners that wouldn't have any other breed. I can befriend any dog except specially trained attack dogs and perhaps pit bulls.

9 years ago

Woofenheimer is a special sub-breed of Great Danes. Harlequin are the colours (black and white). Some of this knowledge is too specialized even for The Google.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 1:55

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

It's dormant right now. It's going to start growing any day now, so go ahead and water. They are summer dormant and lose a lot of foliage then, and start growing once fall hits. Once they start growing again you can cut off the tips and re-root them if you want a shorter plant.

Protect from frost but you probably already know that.

9 years ago

Dormant right now? No, I disagree - they start waking up in late August / September and should be in full growth mode now - I believe Sam's isn't because it's been compromised with the mealy attack and (perhaps) less-than-ideal conditions. Both in San Diego and up here, the Aeoniums in my collection were/are quite vibrant and flush with growth in October.

• _sbgibbons_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jeff, thanks! He's my baby! And I also like natural ears. I wouldn't want to cause him pain for just an aesthetic purpose. :) I looked up A. Arboreum and that looks very similar when it had rosettes! So I think you hit the nail on the head- thanks! Okay, I'll trim it and repot it today. I wish I could grow plants in ground, but I live on a Navy base and I move often and I always take my plants with me, so container gardening is just the easier option. But thank you for your help! I appreciate it! :)

DirtFarmer- As you probably now know, he's a Great Dane, not a Dalmatian, a common mistake for some reason. Haha. But I hope one day you will change your mind about Pitbulls though. They are extremely smart, loyal, and amazing family dogs if treated properly. Aggressive dogs are made, not born! I just believe that every animal is worth fighting for and deserves life, even "specially trained attack dogs". They just have to find the right home with owners with are willing to train them.

Sorry for getting off subject y'all. :)