Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krismast

Cuttings in the gritty mix

krismast
11 years ago

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting in this forum. I'm usually over in the citrus forum. Anyway, I am starting some cuttings of a Christmas Cactus in Al's gritty mix. I was wondering how I know when to water a cutting in this mix?

Thanks for all the help!

Kristopher

Comments (9)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Kristopher,

Mist it daily - don't water it (it has no roots, so any soil watering is useless) until you see definite growth. I use a gritty mix, not The Gritty Mix, and cuttings, even the tropical ones such as yours, profit from misting first and then watering when growth is evident (meaning you likely have roots).

11 years ago

Kristopher,

I've been PM'd to not give advice on that which I don't grow, so take it from one who doesn't grow these plants, don't use my advice. The fount of CC wisdom will soon spout forth.

11 years ago

Kristopher,

I'm hoping someone will answer your question today - apparently the spout was turned off yesterday.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I've never rooted CC cuttings in Gritty Mix, so I shouldn't advise either, I suppose.
    However, I do root CC cuttings in bark or bark amended with perlite and lava rock (Scoria, pumice).
    Once the cuttings have callused, I put them into a moist mix (not wet). These plants root for me
    within weeks....although most cuttings I take tend to have root-hairs already present at the nodes,
    so that seriously cuts down on rooting time.

Josh

• Ron4310
    11 years ago

I root my cuttings on vermiculite. I lay the cactus cutting on top of the moistened vermiculite and pin down to make contact with the vermiculite. I then place plastic wrap over the top of the container to keep the humidity in. The cutting will send roots out from each leaf node and the cutting will produce a plant at each node. This method also lessens the chance of rot.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I don't grow them in the gritty mix either, so don't know what to advise. I DO know that watering these too soon or too often pushes them to rot well before they've had a chance to root.

Maybe MeyerMike (Who I think does grow these in gritty mix) will see this and answer.

In case no one else answers, I'd wait at least 5 days after potting them & then lightly water or mist the outer edges of the mix, not the cuttings themselves. Good luck.

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Funny story Charris I would feel very special if I got a GW member PM A midnight text message from a GW member would make fell all warm and fuzzy

Understanding one view from another either method would work. Some of us already know that the rooting methods mentioned of a jungle cacti that Charris doesn't grow does work.

I would think to much information could confuse the person who is trying to root them in a way that may be different from another persons idea.

This is what makes GW opinions great we get to share them with each other and send our support for a better growing plant. With this in for front I'll have to close with at least one method mentioned is the better method.

PS Charris: Look at the bright side maybe next time you get a GW PM someone might try to tell you that Jungle cacti cant grow in ceramic pots.

{{gwi:549335}}

• Polly381
    11 years ago

charris, I welcome your advice anytime.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz