Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

New batch of rare Jades 2013 - progress thread!

meyermike_1micha
10 years ago

Here they are from a truly wonderful person!!

I have already potted them up in a moist very porous mix and set them under good lights! They should root in about a week or two and start to grow before the winter is over!

Here you will see the mix, the size of the cuttings, the lights, and how they come along...If you follow this journey with me it will be really nice..

I hope you see the names of the jades on the labels and if not I will take the time to name them for you..

Here they are in 4 pots...................

{{gwi:681063}}

{{gwi:681064}}

A closer look at each....

{{gwi:681065}}

{{gwi:681067}}

{{gwi:681068}}

{{gwi:681069}}

I used a mix that comprises of equal parts of Turface, Crushed Granite, Orchiat and Fir Bark and just a smiggen of fine bark peat fines..

{{gwi:681070}}

They look small and yet make my Red Horn jade tree look huge in comparison...

{{gwi:681071}}

Placed under lights with all my other colorful critters...Hoe they do well here..Keeping my fingers crossed...
{{gwi:681072}}

{{gwi:681073}}

{{gwi:681075}}

{{gwi:681077}}

{{gwi:681078}}

Thanks for looking!

Mike

Comments (25)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Well, Mike, yet again your collection increases by leaps and bounds! :-D
    I was torn between leaving this Thread at the top of the page for maximum viewing... and getting in the first comment, hehehe! Obviously I opted to leave a comment - but I have no doubt that this one will stay at the top, given the strong interest in Jades...and in these seldom seen varieties. Plus, it's a progress Thread...so you'll be revisiting this page with updates as these cuttings put on size.

I'm really impressed with the size of your 'Red Horn Tree,' too. Next time I water mine, I'll be sure to fertilize with 1/4 strength Foliage Pro....

Question: is the 'Mariba' variegated related to (or a variegated form of) 'Maruba Nishiki,' or do I have the names mixed up?

Josh

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

WooHoo! What a wonderful person indeed!

This is going to be a great ride. A very exciting and educational winter...(for me at least).

I can't help but look...and look...and look at the pics, again.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

You always find the rare stuff, Mike. And they always thrive in your care. Nice to see some new varieties, I especially like the variegated arborescens...

Hope your feeling better, buddy!

Christopher

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    10 years ago

Mike,
    Awesome new additions! I'm also digging your grow operation. I really need to get some of those variegated Jades.

Rob

• kuroc
    10 years ago

I love your collection mike. But I also love my own.
    Do you put yours out in summer or are they house plants?

Mine have to be house plants because of the apartment I live in.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Good Afternoon,

Hey Mike, you have a knack finding rare Jades. How do you manage?

You should call them, My Halloween Jades. :)

I can't wait to see your new guys once they're rooted and a little larger.

Like Josh, 'Hello Josh,' I too am impressed with your Red Horn. I've looked and re-looked but cannot find RH...

Mike, in the second to last photo, it looks like a huge green house with 8' trees. lol.

Kuroc...You should love your own plants. If you didn't, there'd be no reason growing...Right?

Mike lives in a cold climate area, therefore his plants 'Are' House Plants, however during summer months they're placed outdoors.

Since you reside in AR, your windows should be bright enough to color Jades and other succulents. Toni

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    10 years ago

Mike,
    Wonderful plants and starts as always. I'm so jealous. You need to stop teasing us with wonderful plants we can't have.
    Sharon

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Sigh.... :) So looking forward to seeing how these guys grow.

• bens2bens
    10 years ago

hej Mike,

the cuttings really found a good new place with perfect conditions. I wish i also would have such a nice set up for overwintering my jades inside ...

The "Maruba variegated" with this white powder on it looks like it has any pest ... or does it come from the soil that got stucked on the plant after potting?

@Josh ... here is a pic of the variegated Maruba. This term might be a bit misleading as already the Maruba it selfs has a kind of variegation when the leaves are bleached (like in the case of Hummels sunset). But the variegated form has some parts in its leaves that are not prone to bleaching and thus after bleaching give the appearence of a classical variegated form (chimera).

{{gwi:681080}}

here the normal Maruba or Shin Kagetsu
    {{gwi:671424}}

Actually the Japanese don't really differentiate these two types they call it both "Maruba", "Shin Kagetsu" or "Shin Kagetsu Nishiki"... Shin=New and Kagetsu=Princess (they use the word Princess as a word for Jade tree) Nishiki=variegated. Sometime you also find "Shin Shin" as a name for the variegated Maruba. I guess there is no real name for it yet.

When you google pictures for this: æ°è±æÂÂé¦ (stands for Shin Kagetsu Nishiki ... you find pics of both the variegated and the normal Maruba/Shin Kagetsu.

Mike, i hope you got a peace with a good proportion of bleachable and unbleachable parts in the leaves ... you will see it next summer.

Ben

• americangolden
    10 years ago

Congrats! Those are some wonderful looking rare jades! I know you will get them to root, you helped me root my red horn tree =). Keep us updated!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ben.....
    Thank you for that educational info! I learned a lot from that and about these jades....It's too bad they were not more readily available and then sometimes I wonder why?

I am just glad to have such precious gems and good people to share them with....It is going to be a fun journey and one I hope will grow them as big as the Red Horn and the others I have..
    That white stuff is remnants of rooting powder I used that can easily be rinsed off...Bugs? No way Hose..lol
    They don't have a chance with my plants...
    Yours are beautiful despite being able to have a set up like me..More colorful actually!
    Thank you

American...Really? How is your Red Horn Tree these days? I would love to see it..

Colleen....No worries....And thank you for your comments as always...Spring will be here before we know it!

Hey Sharon....Long time know hear..Thanks and how keep those figs going!

Toni...Thanks for stopping by! Yes, you are right, I do house them indoors all winter and then outdoors in as much sunlight as I can fertilizing them every week when I remember...It helps them grow rapidly so I can start cuttings...

Chris...Thank you for your concern..Getting better..It's been hard here for the family...Sometimes plants can act as a smoke screen for many to mask the problems ones faces every day..We should catch up soon..

Josh....I couldn't of even answered your question anywhere as close as Ben since he is the one so on top of these....I think Glenn could too if he were here.

Yes, they continue to grow..Now to figure a time to start cuttings on the bigger ones incase the mature plants should whither away so they can carry the lineage.

You stand to own a few of these too sooner than you you know..You have been such a fine gentle man here and a loyal friend for years...
    FEED AWAY AS THEY SAY!!

Camellia..Woohoo is correct..lol Hang on tight and look, look, look,,,,

Bob....Thanks! I have not forgotten you..I have been lazy these days doing anything....I have not even enjoyed watching my jades grow all summer as they were out of sight on the sunny side of my shed..

I'll be back with more pics soon and thanks guys and gals!

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 9:03

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    10 years ago

Mike,
    Question about your soil. What is Orchiat, and what does it do? Clearly your mix works, but why are you adding the fines? Was the standard mix too dry? I've found Jades to be very sensitive to rot, and I've had no problems with it since switching to the gritty mix.

Rob

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Wow Mike!! What an Amazing rare collections of Jades!! I'm SO happy for you...and a little jealous j/k lol...
    Truly a great collection for sure...You have one of the greenest thumbs and fingers I've ever seen when it comes to growing plants...Thanks for the pictures! Best of luck, though I know you won't need it :o)

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks Ben for the information. I love that variegated one.

BTW, Mike, wanted to thank you for posting the information about your potting mix. When I read your post the 1st time, I immediately thought to myself, "what is that mix he's using?" Sure enough, there it was later in the post!

Thanks!
    Hong

10 years ago

Cheers, Ben, that explains the difference perfectly.
    I see the variegation quite clearly in the image you posted.

Thanks, Mike! What a nice compliment :-)

Josh

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Ben, I meant to comment on your beautiful rare Jades as well...colors are stunning! Thanks for posting!

Hey Josh!!

10 years ago

Hey, Nancy! :-)

Josh

• sam268
    10 years ago

Nice additions Mike.
    I still have your varigated cutting from your mother plant 3years ago..
    How is that jade doing?
    Your red horn looks really nice. How big was it when you first got it.
    Leaves looks really heathly under your care.

• wweidele
    10 years ago

Awesome nice work one day I'm coming to your house lol just to see your beautiful collection great work

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Wweidele, I've said one day he's going to go to move a plant in his greenhouse and find me hiding in there with a pocket full of cuttings.

I am Laura and I am the Plant Stalker.

• wweidele
    10 years ago

@ Laura

Haha I'll be right next to you
    :)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wweidele and Laura..You guys are way too funny...All you have to do is fight your way past my cat..lol
    Thanks\....

Sam, the next time I stop by my work, I will take a pic of the mother jade for you..It's doing real nice! I can't believe you still have that cutting..Post a pic some day will you?

Josh, if it were not for you and Nancy, I would not of even been interested in growing Jades or Hoya..
    Thanks to both of you..

Hong..NO problem...I hope it helps you.

Nancy....Thank you so much..you have the nicest way of expressing your self and of course growing a few beauties of your own..You know you will end up with something unique one day as well..:)

Hey Rob! How are you?

Orchiata?

Orchiata is a sustainable orchid growing substrate produced from the finest quality, 100% pure New Zealand Pinus radiata bark.
    New ZealandPinus radiata is a hard and stable bark compared to other pine species; however, it needs to be processed from its raw state. The natural process creates a high quality, stable, long lasting, toxin free, consistent growing substrate available in different sizes for specific growing needs.
    The process allows Orchiata to hold water and nutrients on the outside layer of each chip, as well as creating a slightly rough surface for roots to anchor to. Pathogens do not survive this process, however beneficial micro-organisms remain.
    Orchiata retains the best attributes of Pinus radiata, and combines them with longevity, ability to rewet quickly and long term stability. Growersâ have reported that frequent re-potting is not necessary, as potted plants have been known to remain in excellent condition in excess of 10 years.

The fines is to hold moisture in my mixes a bit longer than but I really could only add more turface..But I need to use up my very high quality peat...So a bit here and there does well for me..

Hope this helps..

By the way, the cuttings are still holding their own..The mix dries out every other day allowing me to water them as if they are growing...

Mike

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Ah, good information. I was wondering about the watering. I know everyone does it differently but it's good to know the type of soil mix and watering for cuttings in the mix.

I can't remember who used the turface for cuttings. I thought that was interesting, too.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    10 years ago

Mike,
    Thanks for the info on the Orchiata and your soil. In another thread, Bikerdoc posted a link to a retailer that sells it, and their right here in Ohio! It sounds like it's a better alternative to the pine bark I'm currently using. Once my supply is gone, I'll look into getting some.

Thanks again.
    Rob

• yaslan72
    10 years ago

Mike,

YOur jade collection is impressive and inspires me to take better care of my jades. I especially love your red horn tree; it's fantastically extraordinary!

Thank you for sharing your beautiful jewels!

Bo

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor