Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
afbq

Please ID this succulent

afbq
9 years ago

Someone game me this plant and told me it's a donkey tail (which is what I wanted along with a String of Pearls) but I don't think it is. The leaves don't look elongated or as full. Does anyone know what it is and how I can get it healthy? I'm going to repot tomorrow in cactus soil but what else? Thanks!
{{gwi:682572}}

{{gwi:682574}}

Comments (12)

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Sedum......maybe marnarianum ???

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

It does seem to be the donkey's tail. There's a few variation of donkey's tail. Mine is the pointy ones, I think yours is the rounder ones. In any case, the reason you're in doubt is because the plant is not in good shape.. Repotting will help but good luck with that as repotting this plant could be quite a nightmare since the leaves could fall upon touching. You might also want to do some leaf or stem cuttings to start new growths so in half a year or so it will look nicer.

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

I have both. The one David showed you and the one you have. At the very least you shoul mix half perlite with half the cactus soil. But good luck with it, it's a nightmare to repot.

• afbq
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! It lost so many leaves already I am wondering if I would even repot or leave it in that soil?

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Well, that soil does look a bit water retentive and in the long run you may have more issues than just "leaves" falling off. You could do as David said "You might also want to do some leaf or stem cuttings to start new growths so in half a year or so it will look nicer."

On the plus side, I've seen older specimens and they don't have a lot of leaves up and down the "vine." So, I think the "leaves" fall off over time anyway.

Planto

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I have my burro's tail in gritty mix. It is in full sun most of the year, where it grows nice tight clusters of leaves. When I have to move it to bright light under roof, it gets etoliated easily.

Right now my plant doesn't look much different from yours. I need to repot (the original pot was a fun "head", but way too big and hard to move without hitting the leaves). I intend to carefully take many clippings before trying to repot. I have found that they root easily. Prop longer clippings with a skewer until they have taken root.

Yes - the leaves come off with a hard stare! I throw them into a pot and they have rooted. I now have a small pot with quite a few babies taking off. You can also throw them back into the original pot.

You can see in this picture the etiolated part of the plant at the top, some spaces where leaves got knocked off, and finally the tight growth at the ends after a return to full sun.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I should point out that the plant stems will put out new shoots, too. (I told you that my plant is in about the same shape!)

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

I have mine in gritty mix too. It was outside in full sun over the summer, but now it is inside in an east window. I only water once every 4-6 weeks in the winter. I let the rain water it with occasional feedings with foliage pro in the summer.

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Laura yours is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!

• afbq
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Crenda-- I hope to get new shoots from my roots: Thanks for all the advice and great pictures. If I were to prune back, how far should I go? I'm ok with waiting a year or two for new growth if it's going to look like Laura's. :)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Laura's plant is indeed gorgeous! I will certainly not repeat the mistake of planting mine in a pot where it cannot hang.

afbq - When I prune back I take the sparse parts of the stems, but allow enough leaves to remain to sustain the plant. Right or wrong, it seems to me that these leaves will keep the plant going. I figure I can always cut off more, but I can't put it back on.

I need to find a new place for mine to enjoy the full summer sun. Our summer rains rot a lot of plants if I do not move them under a roof. Then they don't get enough sun. A better pot with better drainage (even tho I did use the gritty mix) will be a start. I am fortunate to be able to leave it outside all year long.

Good luck! I am sure we can get our plants to look like Laura's!

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

If it helps you...it's Sedum burrito.

Laura, it's RARE to see one as well-grown as yours! Big pat on the back for a job well done!