Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
_sbgibbons_

Weird roots on Sedum.

_sbgibbons_
9 years ago

I was doing a root wash on this Sedum Adolphii 'Lime Gold' I just bought the other day and I noticed all of these bumps all over the roots. They are hard and seem to be attached or an actual part of the root itself as they cannot be removed without breaking the root. I'm not sure what to think of this because I've never seen roots that look like this before. Does anyone know what these are? Thanks! - Sam
{{gwi:683593}}

{{gwi:683595}}

Comments (7)

• Misselle
    9 years ago

They could be root knot nematodes. It's like a tiny worm that digs into roots. A insecticide will kill them off, or if you want to stay natural I read somewhere they have a thing against marygolds, so if you plant them really close they will leave.

• _sbgibbons_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep! I googled it and that looks to be exactly what I'm dealing with. I've never even heard of this! I may just cut the roots off and be done with it. I haven't decided yet. But thank you sooo much for identifying this for me. :)

• Misselle
    9 years ago

It's cool :-). I know It's weird. I only read about it randomly one day when looking for something else. Good luck! :-)

• _sbgibbons_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! Do you (or anyone else) know if you can spray Neem Oil directly on roots without causing harm to the plant? I've never used Neem Oil before, but after reading about this pest I think that is my best bet in treatment other than cutting the roots off. I know I have to keep the plants out of the sun that have been sprayed with Neem Oil, but other than that, I don't know much about it.

• Misselle
    9 years ago

Homestly im not sure. One thing I read everywhere is completely toss the soil the infected plants came in. There's a good chance the little buggers are still living in it and you don't want it to spread. As I don't use neem oil I found this page. Hope this helps :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: organic nematicide neem oil in management of nemetodes

• _sbgibbons_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I read that, too. They are sitting on my table barefoot right now. :) Thanks for that link and for all of your help!!!

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

You should read a comment by Al on a post by hijole "what is this? I just said I had no viruses or bugs!" He explains why it shouldn't be used on roots. Hope this helps! :)

This post was edited by LilBit7765 on Fri, Oct 17, 14 at 3:35

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio