Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloeasha

Aloe arborescens growth rate? and A. saponaria variegata

chloeasha
10 years ago

Is this a slow grower? Does it normally take years to pup or to reach a few feet of height? I was going to get one, and was kind of hoping to know what to expect ahead of time. I know some aloes pup rather quickly, and some grow taller faster than others. Obviously it depends on the care and space it gets, but I am just curious about your experiences in your conditions. :)

Also looking for some of the same info on the variegated Aloe saponaria. I've been looking at past posts for both and there is a lot of good info. Seems like this one grows much more slowly? That wouldn't surprise me with the variegation.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Julianna,

The only reference point I have with these is in San Diego, where they (virtually) never stop growing. You're going to have slower growth where you are, but if you grow them outside in the summer / when it's warm and in a porous soil (so there's no rotting from the frequent summer rains) you'll have pups in a year or so. A. arborescens can grow into huge hedges, a few meters thick, that are nearly impenetrable (just not in our climates). Your variegate will grow slowly but if you can slightly underpot both it and the A. arborescens for the winter, I'd think that in spring you'll have the beginnings of pups / stolons which you can repot and put outside later in spring.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 21:40

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh great to know! Actually, I may move to NW Jordan thus summer, and I was thinking about water-wise plantings (and being able to use some of my favorite plants). So It would be equivalent to 10a/Sunset 23. No summer rains :) I was just wondering if this is going to be something that you plant it and 25 years goes by while you wait for it to be a descent size. I know the A. saponaria is smaller. Thanks so much for the info! Very encouraging :)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Then you'd want to keep at least the variegated one a little protected if the winter rains are accompanied by cold - these can take some cold and wet roots, but they certainly don't prosper with those conditions. You'll want to water them in the summer, 2-3x a month, and when they're in growth give them some diluted all-purpose fertilizer. In your intended conditions, you'll have a hedge of A. arborescens in almost no time. I have trimmed a block of it before which seemed to cover a good portion of a backyard-it was 5' tall and just gorgeous in December/January, when it was in full flower (with 30 or so spikes of flowers and the bees and hummingbirds were busy, busy, busy).

BTW, there's a Diana from Jordan who posts here occasionally.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:684001}}

• Mari11
    10 years ago

Hi julianna ,
    I've been growing Aloe arborescens for years and love it!. It's very fast growing plant. Example: last August (1 year ago) I planted tiny baby without roots (together with 3 tiny leaves it was about 1" or so). Today I measured it: from soil to growing tip 3.5", to longest leaf tip - 11", and I see already little pup is growing. In a year I expect it to become a family of 3-4 stems. It grows well no matter outside or inside, just give it sunny window.

• woodnative
    10 years ago

I have been growing the variegated A saponaria for years as a houseplant. Very easy grower and pups prolifically.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks woodnative! That makes me glad to hear it!

Mari11-- oh that is certainly encouraging. I am glad you posted your experience! Makes me feel excited lol.

Cactusmharris-- oh interesting-- I must have always just missed her! I wonder where in the country she is. the NW corner is Mediterranean in climate, whereas the rest of the country is desert. So I'd get about twice the rain as most of the places. That's great since mostly people cannot afford to irrigate and rely on rainwater.

Your hedge sounds so lovely! The winter rains in Jordan are associated with cool/cold temps... with the average minimum at 41. My husband says it does freeze about once every 10 years, but never has it gotten below 32 in anyone's memory. And that freeze is just a few hours in the early morning. They get all their rain Nov-May, and in that area it's about 16-19 inches. It's enough that they don't need to irrigate even the summer crops as long as they start them in the rainy season-- like tomatoes and such. I was reading about people's watering habits of A. arborescens in San Juan Capistrano, and they mentioned watering deeply maybe once every month or so in the summer. I noticed they get half the rain we would. I'll have to play it by ear, but it looks really promising.

This thread has made my day LOL.

• Central_Cali369
    10 years ago

In the ground in Jordan, you will have no problem with either one of those growing slowly. Both I have spent some time in the north dead sea area near Bet Shean, Ein Gedi and Jericho and was surprised to see even Delonix regia growing and flowering there.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes! If you ever crossed the river, at Mt. Nebo there are some beautiful mature Agave americanas at the entrance. And that area has less rainfall. The area we're looking at is 15 miles from the Galil, so it would seem even better conditions.

• Central_Cali369
    10 years ago

The Galil region seems even warmer. The mango plantations there are a huge indicator or a warm, subtropical climate. Good Luck! And don't forget to post photos!

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I will!

• Central_Cali369
    10 years ago

Julianna, I thought you would appreciate this photo. This is a view of the northern end of the Dead Sea looking east into Jordan. This photo was taken from near the caves at Qumran.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, nice! I was just looking at rainfall for that area the other day. On the Jordanian side they only get 3" annually in that area. Kind of incredible!

This post was edited by julianna on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 23:49