Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Jades and Jade Cuttings - Update pics!!!

Happy Halloween, folks!

As the succulent season draws to a close here in northern California, I thought I'd share some images of my Jades. First up, I'd like to thank Mike for some excellent variegated Jade cuttings! I am excited to grow these, and to share the progress with you all! Here is a rather handsome tip-cutting:

{{gwi:684398}}

Second up, I'd like to thank Josiah for the various Jade cuttings that he sent me earlier this spring. The cuttings have done well, despite certain raccoon attacks in July. Now that The Big Jade Cutting is established, I plan on whacking it down again....this time, I'll cut it in half completely, and then I'll re-root the top section.

{{gwi:21914}}

And here's the Portulacaria afra that Jo sent - this is a new favorite...I love the texture, the bark, and the vigorous growth (far faster than the variegated form). I've rooted several cuttings from this cutting; one I gave to my brother (it is growing fabulously in Sacramento), and the other I rooted in the garden.

{{gwi:684399}}

Now an update on my oldest Jade, which I call my "Mother Jade." I pruned it a few months ago, and it's slowly coming back into shape.

{{gwi:21915}}

{{gwi:684400}}

Now for the smaller stuff: a monstrose 'Gollum/Hobbit' cutting from Jo. This one will get a better pot, as soon as I find the right thing. It rooted nicely, with minimal leaf-drop. The twine is ready to come off, as the Jade is solidly rooted in place.

{{gwi:21916}}

This assortment of cuttings was started in this herb planter. Small-leaf Jade (on the left), 'Gollum' that I grew from a leaf, and two 'Hobbits' (on the right). I'll have to separate these soon....but they are looking cozy!

{{gwi:684401}}

My small-leaf Jade. Best color in July. Looking a bit washed out these days.

{{gwi:684402}}

This is my Jade 'Hobbit' - recently re-potted due to an attack by raccoons. Also looking washed out these days.

{{gwi:21917}}

My poor, poor 'Hummel's Sunset' - oh what a saga!

This variety was the hardest to find...and has been the hardest to maintain - plus, the leaves that I tried to root all died. Also had to be re-potted due to raccoon attack and a cat/deck-rail mishap. I guess I'm lucky just to have it still. Trying its best to re-grow leaves...at least the lovely red stems are visible without the leaves to get in the way... :-(

{{gwi:684403}}

These next two images are my Jade 'Skinny Fingers/Gollum'

{{gwi:21918}}

{{gwi:684404}}

And lastly, this is my first 'Gollum.' It's had a rough go of things, having been molested this summer and last by raccoons. Although small, it's one of my favorite Jades. Finally some new growth from the branch that was bitten off.

{{gwi:21919}}

Josh

Comments (35)

• chara2
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice collection, greenman! Everything looks healthy and happy despite the raccoon attacks. Good job!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for stopping by, Chara2, much appreciated!
    Here's a group shot of some of my Jades, taken last week in the morning:
    {{gwi:684406}}

• haxuan
    14 years ago

Very good looking jades, Josh. I really like the color of the leaves on your plants.

Xuan

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

WHAT A PLEASANT SUPRISE TO SEE THIS THREAD FIRST THING IN THE AM!!

Amazing work Josh..You have beautiful Jades...I am honored to have gotton a couple from you too! I can't beleve that cutting is sitting on your hand across the country within a couple of days...Sweet! I am happy it has found its way to a safe home..

My Mom fell in love with one of your pics and would love a cutting, severely..lol
    I will write you on that later..lol

Thankyou so much for sharing..Now it is my turn to post a pic of the one you sent me..Coming within hours..

Take care

Mike..:-)

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Here are they are...:-)

One planted in the gritty mix, and the other sitting in sand till they root..
    Oh does anyone think the big pot for that tiny plant is too big?lol

Not in the gritty mix..:-)

{{gwi:684408}}

{{gwi:684409}}

• joscience
    14 years ago

Lookin' pretty sweet Josh! You can already see the big cutting taking a really nice form. In a year or two, that will be super sweet!

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Josh, all of them looks GREAT...and its coloring up very nicely, great job!

Mike,your little babies looks very cute!

• emerald1951
    14 years ago

HI all, I could not resist I have to post a picture here of my little jade family...
    {{gwi:684410}}
    the one in the center is a green jade, my atemp to grow a fat trunk...clock wise is a hobbit in red pot, gollum, mikes cutting, maybe hummel sunset??, varigata white and green or tricolor??, trailing jade, and small leaf jade...
    if I have miss named any, please correct me....
    I wish I could take better pictures....linda

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Thye are so cute Linda....Bravo!!!!!!

Joscience,

I wanted to take a sec to let you know that I have been reading alot of these threads over, and your posts have been unbelievably fun to read and learn from. Thankyou.

Great pictures everyone..:-)

Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello, all!
    Xuan, Mike, Pug....thank you so much!
    Mike, the first Jade looks perfect in that pot. Go ahead and water that one...if you haven't already. I can't wait to see it take off for you. My cutting did a lot of growing from December to May, although it was green through the winter. In early Spring, it should be quite maroon, indeed.

Jo, I've been whittling on that Big Jade every chance I get. The top two-thirds are coming off, so that I have just that thick lower trunk as my focus - which I'll re-position when I move it to a smaller pot. I'll root the top of the cutting for a friend.

Nice collection, Linda!
    I can't quite be sure from the pic, but it looks as though the very bushy, tube/trumpet-leafed Jade in the red pot is a 'Gollum.' The Jade in the orange-rimmed pot looks to be a 'Hobbit' - unless that's a regular Jade with elongated leaves.

'Trailing Jade' is usually Senecio jacobsenii.
    I had some, but in the end I really didn't care for its growth habit.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Josh,

Thanks for the advice.....I think it will do well in the gritty mix..I will definately make sure not to over that little guy....

It is in full sun in my plant room. I found a special place for it..;-)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Linda,

Your babies are all very cute!! Your little Jade family is growing very nicely. You did a good job with the picture...no worries. Enjoy them and best of luck!

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Josh, you're jades are beautiful. I've never seen the skinny fingers or Gollum before. Im in LOVE with those now, I must get some! You're collection is unbelievable! :) Awesome job! Sorry to hear about your raccoon troubles but you're plants look superb!

Nice clippings mike! Is it best to root in sand first then transfer to gritty mix? Thanks for the help!

Linda, wonderful collection! I really like the jade in the dark blue pot and the big jade in the middle. Is your jade in the back left trailing along the table?

Such a great thread! :D

Ashley

Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, Ashley!
    My fascination with Jades started with one cutting....typical addict, right? ;)

Then, a year or so later, I learned that there were other types of Jade out there! Most varieties were easy to track down...I bought a pack full of 'Hobbit' Jades just to get a 'Gollum.' After that, I began to search for the 'Skinny Fingers,' which has narrow, finger-tip type leaves, as opposed to the trumpeted, suction-cup tips on the 'Gollum.' All the while, though, I was lusting after a boldly-colored 'Hummel's Sunset.' It was quite some time before I finally found one.

Then Mike just had to go and show me a variegated Jade that I'd never seen before....! So glad he did. It's good to know that the fire still burns.... ;)

If you want to see some really magnificent examples of the tube-leafed and monstrose Jade sports, search for Joscience's postings of his plants. Mine are wee little things with a looong road to go, by comparison. Jo was also the source of the Big Jade Cutting, the Portulacaria afra, and a host of smaller Jade cuttings.

Josh

• johnh_or
    14 years ago

Nice plants Josh.....I used to have a 15 year old Gollum. It got stolen from my front yard along with another prize Jade I had. Luckily I had a cutting I broke off when I accidently bumped the plant.

Mike....I was curious as to what your gritty mix consists of. Is it one of Als recipes? I don't think the pot is too big since it looks like it drains quickly. Personally, I would skip the rooting Jade cuttings in sand. You will just have to disturb the roots when you transplant and Jades will root in carpeting if you let them!

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, John, I'm glad you stopped by!
    I tell ya, I get mad enough when squirrels and raccoons disturb my plants....if I ever caught a person stealing one of my plants, my reaction would no doubt be disproportionate to the crime!

Speaking of big old 'Gollum' Jades, check this one out in a half wine-barrel. My dad took the pic at a nursery in Newcastle, California. February, I think, after the bloom. No idea of age....and no price tag, of course ;)

{{gwi:7085}}

Josh

• johnh_or
    14 years ago

Amazing! Mine was about the size of that one center front branch from the base up. A shrimp compared to this one!!!! It had bloomed several times. I was bummed for days! But at least I have an offspring.

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Hey Josh!

Yes it is typical haha :) Mike is sending a clipping of his variegated jade to me (too excited for words!)

Ah, another is born every minute.

Thanks to you, I know now of different jades rather than getting this clipping and not knowing of other types for a while. Geh, my obsession will continue.

I'm beginning to think that we are all enablers of this addiction. Haha!

That jade is marvelous! I can't image how old it is... Once I get Mike's clipping rooted; I will be in search for Skinny fingers and Gollum.

Ash

Original Author
    14 years ago

Come, my fanatics!
    Enter the Green Chapel....

Josh

• emerald1951
    14 years ago

Hi.....the trailing jade does go along the side of the table...and the one in the blue pot I was told, where I bought it, that it is a 'hummel sunset'...I hope ...I think that plant is fantastic....I hope it is one and not just a green one bleached out by the sun or something...
    I love jades.....:)....linda

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Green Chapel? As in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight?

Linda, do you know the name of the trailing jade? I'm not familiar with jades that trail, actually I didn't know they could. haha :) I hope your plant is what you were told as well, seeing from Joshs picture the hummel sunset is worth it! (nix the raccon attack) :)

Ashley

• emerald1951
    14 years ago

Hi Ashley....earlier in this thread, greenman28 said that trailing jades are usually a senecio jacobsenii, when I bought it I was told it was a trailig jade...I like it..
    greenman28 said he had one but didn't like its habit..not sure what he meant, maybe he will read this and comment...
    linda

Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, very good, the Chapel of the Green Knight!
    One of my favorite Christmas stories... ;)

I don't want to answer for Linda, but if I'm correct the plant commonly called 'Trailing Jade' or 'Weeping Jade' is actually Senecio jacobsenii - not a Crassula ovata at all. That said, it's not a terrible plant...it just isn't very tidy. It tends to become ragged over the winter. With pruning and full sun, it can develop nice color.

Linda, does this look like your plant?
    {{gwi:629598}}
    {{gwi:629601}}
    {{gwi:629600}}

Josh

• joscience
    14 years ago

Mike: Thanks for the compliment!

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Joscience,

I am quite impressed with your ability to grow such wonders of nature!

Thankyou!

Original Author
    14 years ago

Good afternoon, everyone!
    I had a friend over today, and he wanted to watch me enact my "vision" upon this rooted Portulacaria afra cutting. After that first snip, I went clip-happy.... ;) So here it is, front, back, and with a piece of its former self, all trimmed back for winter on the windowsill.

Josh
    {{gwi:684412}}

{{gwi:684414}}

{{gwi:684416}}

• haxuan
    14 years ago

Josh, awesome plants! Thanks for sharing.

BTW may I ask, is it now time for these succulents to put out new growths?

Xuan

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Josh good going, thanks for sharing, you have a nice collection of them started. If you need Hummel's Sunset, please let me know. I have a small plant that I have had for at least 30 years, it is not fast growing and needs no care I am growing it in a large strawberry pot on the top, it has never been transplanted. This plant was given to me by Mr.Hummel via a good friend. I quarter turn the pot so it will have even coloring for the winter. There are at least 22 different named Crassula ovata that I know of. Norma

Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Xuan!
    Yes, I have noticed that my plants have been putting out new growth lately! Although the night-time temperatures have dropped into the 40°F's, the days are still quite warm. I leave my plants outside for as long as possible.

Hi, Norma!
    Thank you for stopping by! I've learned a lot from you - about the Jade's native habitat, as well as the unique varieties and sports that we have today. You are very kind to offer a Hummel's, indeed. However, I do have one, at long last. I am slowly nursing it back to health; but, if this one should fail, perhaps I could appeal to your generosity in the future.

Josh

• brwndot
    14 years ago

Wow, everyone's plants looks great. And the wine barrel gollum is gorgeous! My oldest jade once lived in a pot that looks *just* like the one your Mother Jade is in, Josh.

Salvaged these two for $2 at Lowe's last night. Wish me luck.
    {{gwi:684417}}

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Brwndot!
    And good luck! The variegated Portulacaria afra (in yor pic) on the left is one of my favorites!
    It should re-leaf from all the nodes...if given enough light and if kept moist.

Josh

• User
    14 years ago

Well, I was gifted by a generous fellow grower w/ this little beauty. While we're on Portulacaria afras (even tho' they're NOT Jades or even related).

{{gwi:684418}}

They knew I've lost a few over time & thought to treat me to one more chance, on them. Had lovely root clump -- I have high hopes, tho' the temps in NYC are abt to drop for fall/winter, 40s at night at my open window, hum.

Lovely gift, thanks so, much, its sooo pretty!

{{gwi:684419}}

Original Author
    14 years ago

Well done! ;)
    That little fella looks right at home in that pot!

Josh

• brwndot
    14 years ago

Wow, I'm a little bit in love with the Senecio jacobsenii. Will definitely keep my eye out for that one, even if it's not actually a jade...

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

PG,

Absolutely beautiful.... Thanks for the pic!

I am sure you will suceed with this one..Just give it the sunniest spot you can spare, and as YOU know, don't overwater..lol

Mike..:-)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz