Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crenda53

My Echeveria Black Prince is blooming!

Crenda 10A SW FL
10 years ago

I get so excited when my plants bloom! These should last for a while and I really like that. And red is my favorite color!

Do you think the gecko is looking for blossoms on the second inflorescence?

Comments (12)

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Very pretty,I like the contrast in the colors.
    Kathi

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Now THAT is thee Best Red bloomer in the Echeveria genus! Great shot! And I didn't even notice that gecko! Thanks for mentioning, so I could look for him/her! (Maybe it was the best hiding place?) Your plants look very happy. How long have you had them planted in the ground (PIG)?

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Rosemarie. These have been PIG a little over a year and have done very well. I have some leaves rooting so I can plant more. I absolutely love the blooms of Echeveria. They are all impressive.

I didn't notice the gecko when I took the picture and was surprised to see him on my computer!

• CactusN00b
    10 years ago

Crenda,

Did you provide any rain shelter for it this summer? I'm just north in central FL, and we got tons of rain , pretty sure you did too. Just wondering if black prince can take all that rain. I don't see any mound or raising to help with drainage in the picture. ?
    Did you cover them during the rare cold nights we get?

I have mine in clay, but would rather PIG them.

Mine is getting ready to bloom too.. hope mine looks as good as yours.

Thanks.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are planted on an island out front which is mostly sand and gravel. It has about a 2 to 2 1/2 foot rise to the top. They are near the top and drain well. I also made sure to add perlite when I planted them. So no, I did not protect from rain this summer and we got about 45 inches. I think you got more. It worried me, but they seemed to do well.

We had a surprisingly mild winter last year. No days when I had to cover up the plants, but I do keep an eye on the temp.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

It's beautiful Crenda!

Where did you get that plant? Do they sell by mail? I have never seen one sold anywhere around here? I have wanted a plant like that for a long time...

Thank you for sharing..:-)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My local Lowes actually carries some nice succulents from Altman Plants in Vista, CA. The variety varies, but I am usually there on Thursday morning after the new shipment comes in. That is where I got this plant.

Luckily for me, the ladies working in the garden department also collect succulents. So the plants are not waterlogged and generally do well.

• paul_
    10 years ago

Mike, contact Howard -- I'd be amazed if he doesn't have a head or two to send your way -- his plants generally grow like gangbusters. If he doesn't, I can probably lop off one of mine.

• Ashton89
    10 years ago

Just beautiful!

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Love that plant!

Mike, I have extras going as well, and I recall that a good year ago you said you wanted 'Black Prince' and/or 'Black Knight,' and darn if I haven't forgotten. When you get any jade clippings going, you and I will get this thing in motion. :) Or even if not.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Yes Coleen, let's get things going...

I think I still have your e-mail if you have mine....?

I am sure that Howard would share too...You are all very generous here.

Thank you Paul for your input..Much appreciated! Love the black cat going on there..How do you do that?

Mike

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Yeppers, I still do!