Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctreeteac

How're your Gasterias doing?

Colleen E
11 years ago

I was wondering if anyone would like to share some Gasteria? Jeff has had some beautiful G. updates, and I know others, like me, find them to be wonderful plants.

Post your plants and their pups?

of my own, the newest and unidentified

{{gwi:686228}}
{{gwi:686231}}

G. pillansii v. ernestii-ruschii

{{gwi:686238}}
{{gwi:686241}}

G. nitida var. armstrongii hybrid

{{gwi:686242}}
{{gwi:686243}}

+ 2 more

{{gwi:686244}}
{{gwi:686245}}

G. glomerata

{{gwi:686246}}
{{gwi:686247}}

I remember, a few months ago, nikki702 shared some of her gorgeous plants. I hope to see her updates sometime!

Comments (47)

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

G. 'Little Warty' is such a nice plant, and yours has so many pups, Larry. Dang. Mine sits there, really. The main plant has grown, but the one pup, in two years, hardly a change to the human eye. It's the slowest thing I own.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Yea Im gonna repot it next year and hopefully offer the pups for swaps.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Colleen,

Look at all those chunky monkeys!@#$ We are gonna hafta do some swapping when you repot. I've got one that looks like an Ariocarpus furfuraceous that I need to get a pic of and repot.

I dig the top dressing, too - they're all dolled up and looking great.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I do like your collection teatree, especially the non variegated tubby one! And I love the grit you use!

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wanna see any Gasteria Ariocarpus lookalike, definitely.

We will have to swap when the day comes. I have high hopes for the little chunkies. With the shot of the two before the G. glomerata, chunkiest and dark greenest is my favorite, and it has three tiny pups on the other side not shown. I hope they grow quick.

I finally used spare time to do top dressing with gravel. Gravel, we had some around. Might as well use it for a pretty purpose.

11 years ago

Starting to root again, these are gifts from a known Mesemb Man and lost en route then mailed through from the CA to the AZ then to the BC. Reminds me that I should mist them.

{{gwi:686248}}

The wee bairns with tuberous, nay yammish, roots longer than the spread of the leaves.

{{gwi:686250}}

It is doing the pupping thing, too.

{{gwi:686252}}

The high-roller room. I told my wife I'm only 10K from moving the plants out and giving the salon back for the some of fall, all of winter and some of spring.

{{gwi:524785}}

Ariocarpus-lookin' one here. The Haw is the separated plant from the variegated one.

{{gwi:686255}}

Flower interlude

{{gwi:686257}}

'Sakura Fuji' and the next one are both from Miles2Go.

{{gwi:526688}}

{{gwi:686260}}

Ol' 'Satsu Satsu No Matsu'

{{gwi:686262}}

Before they went their separate ways - what were they doing hanging out with the Agave? I mean, continents don't lie.

{{gwi:686264}}

One of the voices made a request to play 'Whip It' on the turntable, so I did.

{{gwi:686267}}

I guess that's enough for now, but I've got a few more to catch an image of.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Jeff, you got some fabulous plants, an Aloe vera in flower, indoors?

And I love that fat Gastro, pic 3! Species please?

And you mist them? Is that how you water the young uns?

11 years ago

Larry,

The Aloe budded outside in June/July - it's indoors for the winter. The Gasteria flowers are from a plant which has had four different flower spikes over the last 5-6 months.
    I don't know any more about anything's names other than what was reported - I wish I did. And I mist only those ones with no/new roots - the rest (rooted) I water every 10 days or so now.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oooooh. Reminds me of my

{{gwi:686269}}

Was labeled as G. nigricans monstrose, and I've always thought it was cool. Yours is neater.

11 years ago

OMG - no, yours is nicer. I think I've hindered mine because of the shallow pot it's in (another case of needing repotting). No, no, no, no, no - yours is much better and furfuraceous-like - a true beautiful and compact beast of a plant, and I'd swear on a stack of Lexicons to it.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was debating about whether you'd like and if a small part of it could be split off. Probably. No idea how slow it is gonna grow; I haven't had it but a few months. I'm wondering if it's gonna grow like a sloth. What I fancy about yours is the overall shape.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Better shot, taken about 5 minutes ago for dear Jeff

{{gwi:686271}}

11 years ago

I'm telling you it's an appropriately potted beast, whereas mine is underpotted and not given a chance to grow properly.

{{gwi:686273}}

Prompted by this thread, this very day a repotting of G. 'Peg's Big Boy'.

{{gwi:686275}}

I wish this would pup

{{gwi:686277}}

Another part of the care package from CA - I think I might have a little bit of that Ernest Pillans already, but maybe not.
    {{gwi:686279}}

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I do like the sprawling look it has still managed, even with a lack of root space. Though, I know you can easily fix the problem and really get the plant going. Have you had it long and had it bloom? I didn't get a bloom out of mine this season, if blooms are in its future.

Oh gosh, I wish that would pup too. Looks like that plant's a fantastic size, and it's so smooth! I love a bumpy texture, but that smoothness and the dark green is just wonderful. What a gem.

My turn to say OMG, about the 'Peg's Big Boy'! Granted, I know you've pictured it in the past, but I think it has been at least a year and I wasn't as smart then. If those are its separately potted pups there, it is mighty accomplished.

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Jeffe, I'm glad to see they mostly arrived intact if a little dry. I have some Gasteria pics to share but not enough time tonight. You guys' plants look marvelous.
    - MC Mesemb

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

I love this thread! Off to the sunporch with my camera!

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

I have Gasterias tucked in all over the yard... so many I cannot keep track of them all now... many end up rotting, but many do well, too... here is one by the steps to the front door.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow. Those look pretty darn amazing. What a clump!

11 years ago

Colleen,

It's as Geoff says, it's not uncommon for an average house to be overrun outside by clumps of Gasteria down SouCal way - an inexorable march to consume a spot of ground, whether it's foot or a hectare.

It snowed last night for the first time - I guess this winter thing's going to happen.

Here's 'PBB' before the repot - it seems to me I need to refine (even break out the iron) for the photo box's fabric to be properly flat and inconspicuous.

{{gwi:686281}}

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Thats a handsome, dark plant there Jeff!

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

probably hard to get an idea how large this Gasteria is, but it's nearly 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet tall... monster Gasteria! (Gasteria excelsa)

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Extremely handsome plant indeed, Jeff. And G. excelsa is awesome. A local nursery has one growing, and I admire it every time I go there. A real giant.

11 years ago

Colleen,

So you have witnessed its barrel-stave-like leaves in person - good, because that plant's the Godzilla of the gasterias, I think.

• noki
    11 years ago

Gasteria batesiana

• noki
    11 years ago

Gasteria rawlinsonii

• noki
    11 years ago

Gasteria armstrongii

one on the left is supposed to be a natural form.
    the one on the right is a cultivated form. I don't know if it is pure or not.

• noki
    11 years ago

Gasteria batesiana

Left... MR Minaar from Aridlands
    Right... Barberton I think, with a seperated puppy
    Center below... supposed to be Barberton also

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Your G. rawlinsonii looks great! Mine's teeny. They're all beautiful. Love the natural-form armstrongii. You have some purely awesome stuff.

• noki
    11 years ago

Gasteria bicolor variations, each with a pup

• noki
    11 years ago

Gasteria carinata verrucosa

• noki
    11 years ago

Gasteria armstrongii... closer shot, dark and shiny. Does anybody know if this is a hybrid or just a selected clone? Pups alot.

• noki
    11 years ago

Gasteria armstrongii again... thick toungues

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Some nice Gasters there noki! Rawlinsonii looks so unusual, with its ladder like growth.

• noki
    11 years ago

Gasteria batesiana 'Barberton' again. Trying to capture the texture and color.

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

my big boy

I would love an id, lots more pics at my flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88898514@N07/sets/72157631822594655/

could it be G. exelsa, or maybe an aloe cross? I just love it :D

Its big and chunky and keeps gettin bigger, I inherited it 3 years ago.
    I love the spiral pattern its gotten since i got it, they were all opposite leaved but in more sun and a good repot and they took off. They also have leaves with 3 sides (trifasciate?) when the get about a foot tall. As well as root up and off set prodigiously.

love you alls pics keep em comin!

Here is a link that might be useful: my belly plants :D

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Woooah, looks a lot like G. exelsa to me. That would be such an amazing plant to have. You're one lucky duck.

Noki (I cannot remember your true name, rather than just your handle, if you ever shared that information), your plants! Beauts! That armstrongii has some thick tongues indeed. I've never seen a G. batesiana with that lovely texture in person, but I can imagine it's neat.

• jade_man
    11 years ago

here is my 'little warty'. i love all the pics!

Here is a link that might be useful: little warty

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mara was really good to me.

{{gwi:686291}}

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

A no-ID Gasteria I've had for a while.

11 years ago

Might as well take the leaves off - they're dying so that the pups will live anyway....

{{gwi:686295}}

It's not often you can pay your model in mice

{{gwi:686298}}

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

This is G. Distichia, grown from a leaf I found broken off the parent plant at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. It was an enormous leaf, biggest I'd seen to that point. It took about a year for the leaf to grow a sprout.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's quite the pupper, Karen. Love how easy these plants are and how they reward us for doing so little. And love the G. distichia. Like I do with Aloes, I like the long-leaved, more "grassy" choices...haven't gotten any, but they remain on the list. That also gives me a sense of how long I could wait for a new plant from a leaf, if I were to try.

I'm rooting for the survival of that plant, Jeff. Its pups will be great. It will be great.

Kitties are welcome here.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Nice kitty!
    Now any of you Gasteriaphiles (Gasterionauts?) got pics of them in flower? I cant wait to see my Little Warty flower!

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

'Little Warty' I love in flower. Mine has always produced a branching inflorescence.

Did photograph a little of the chunkies when they last bloomed awhile back.

{{gwi:686302}}

• reggie
    9 years ago

Bump de bump...

Seriously, how did I miss this thread?

• hablu
    9 years ago

I saw this G. rawlinsoni some years ago.
    harry

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i8/Hablu/Gasteria/P10300711.jpg[/IMG]

This post was edited by hablu on Sun, Nov 9, 14 at 11:04

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting