Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
min33

Mystery to me!

These guys were about 3 inches high when I got them at Lowes. They were in an odd square ceramic pot with a 2 inch hole in the upper corner and there were two other different succulents planted right in with them. !!! No way could these have ever been removed without breaking the pot if they had gotten any bigger. So I put them all in separate pots with a fast draining mix and these two are about 10 inches tall now.
There were no others like them in the whole display and I have never seen them anywhere else. They seem happy with little water (are those woody flowers on top?) but I don't know what they are or how to treat them. Anyone know please? Min

Comments (15)

• OMGcactus
    10 years ago

This is Kalanchoe delagoensis. Frequently called Mother Of Millions. It is neat, but can be a bit on the invasive side, due to the plantlets that form along the leaf edges.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you OMG! I have another kalanchoe that has wide roundish leaves and it also has plantlets along its leaves. Or is that Mother of Thousands?
    So this means that the things at the top of the plant are plantlets? Where does it flower?
    Min

• OMGcactus
    10 years ago

The other one you describe is probably Kalanchoe gastonis-bonnieri. Frequently called Donkey's Ear Kalanchoe. The plantlets will fall or can be removed and set anywhere to start a new plant. Flowers grow from the top. It will stop making new leaves and send up a very tall flower (inflorescence). It may, then, die. Or not, but before that, you should be able to start plenty more plants. Hope any of this helps.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes a lot of help OMG and I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me. I am looking forward to what they will do next- especially flower. Dying afterwards would have been a shock to me but now I know and will start new ones. Thanks! Min

• mfyss
    10 years ago

Perhaps this is your second Kalanchoe, K. laetivirens. It is handsome and easily grown. Yale

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks but my second one was identified as a K. Bryophyllum- it looks much like the one in your photo.

The one that I was told is K delagoensis has leaves(?) that grow in threes around the stem and they are all tightly rolled like a cigar with a seed pod on the end of each (see my photo above.) Should I expect them to unroll and become more like leaves? Min

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Min, you say your 2nd (no photo here) was identified as K. Bryophyllum. Where did you get this ID? There is no such plant. Bryophyllum is the genus name used for these plants before being reclassified back into the genus Kalanchoe.

Maybe you could show us a pic of your other plant? Yale's suggestion for ID is probably/most likely correct.

As for the K. delagoensis, no the leaves will stay that way--they will not unroll.

• dianashh
    10 years ago

Kalanchoe! I have so many now... the mother plant is over one meter high, they grow really quick... and the little flower like things are new plants :) just take them off and plant them in soil! you'll have loads!

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roro- Here is the plant I mentioned. (I had it before I got the K. delagoensis.) Hope this photo will help with i.d. Maybe the Happy Plants people got it wrong- wouldn't be the first time something was mislabeled. I did it myself when I worked at a graphics shop: mega-embarrassing at 1,000 copies printed!
    Min

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the label, so nicely printed. :) Min

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Looks like Happy Plants labeled it with both the old & the new name, without a species name. I believe your plant is Kalanchoe crenato-daigremontiana.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, thanks Roro, i will rewrite that label correctly!
    And thanks too, dianashh and Yale for your info. I really appreciate all the input from everyone: this has gotta be the most helpful, interesting and sometimes funny forum of all! Min

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

...and mfyss, I guess I "need" to find a K. laetivirens to add to my collection.
    I definitely have the Kalanchoe virus now! Min

• mfyss
    10 years ago

Your second photo of a Kalanchoe shows a K. laetivirens without plantlets. It was called K. crenato-daigremontiana for years before it was renamed.

Kalanchoe is a large group and the two you show belong to a subgroup, Bryophyllum, whose flowers hang downward. We, in the northern hemisphere, are now in the flowering season of Kalanchoe so yours may be sending up an inflorescence shortly. Yale

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Well, there you go...Yale has the latest info on these, I defer to him...Kalanchoe expert that he is! I was not aware that name had been changed. Glad to know it. Thank you, Yale!