Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kegrilovessmu

What type of Aloe is this?

kegrilovessmu
11 years ago

I have a bunch of this in my backyard & I don't want all of it, but I'd like to use it somehow. I would like to know what it is so I can figure out how to use it!

Comments (60)

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

here is another spotted Aloe... Aloe barbertoniae

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe brandraaiensis

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe 'commutata' (not likely a true species... but not same as other spotted aloes- blooms at completely different time of year).

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe deltoideodonta

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe duckeri

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe dyeri

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe ellenbeckii

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe esculenta

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe fosteri

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe framesii

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloie grandiedentata

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe greatheadii (there are multiple forms of this... all look alike or very different to me.. in other words, this is a super variable species... making the whole spotted aloe thing even more messy)

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe greatheadii form 2

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe greatheadii form 3

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe greenii

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe grisea

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe harlana

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe hemmingii

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe kilifiensis

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe laterita

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe longibracteata

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Wowsers, Geoff, another outstanding set of photos/posts. And you didn't even show all of the A. deltoideodonta forms that are spotted - restraint itself. That particular clone has really lovely markings, and there are a few I'd never heard of before. Thanks!

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe macrosiphon

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

We also have to realize that the very prevalent passalong aloes that A maculata are have many variations because the gene pool is not pure so there are variations upon variations.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe maculata (yellow flower form)

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe mubendiensis

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Geoff leaves us all in awe bobbing in his wake.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe mudenensis

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe nyeriensis

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe parvibracteata

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe prinslooii

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe rauhii

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe 'Rooikaapie'

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe sinkatna hybrid

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe somaliensis

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe 'Sophie'

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe swynertonii

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe trichosantha

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe umfoloziensis

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe verdoorniae

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe vogstii

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Aloe zebrina... whew... glad I could clear up any confusion there might be about what spotted aloe is what.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

You are pretty quick with the one photo post. Where there was a void there now is a cacaphony of battling possibilities. I hear that nature abhors a void. Here is proof.

• lgteacher
    11 years ago

Thank you for the photos. You have posted an aloe encyclopedia!

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

AWESOME collection, Geoff!! Your photo of Aloe grandidentata looks very much like the poster's plant to me. I'm curious if you have a closer view on that one...NOT that I want you to do more work...after all these beauties posted!

It is my understanding that A. maculata is not as likely to produce numerous suckers as grandidentata would. Also read that A. maculata has recurved leaf tips. Still, flowers would help confirm ID. Aloe grandidentata are distinctive being the only ones that are club-shaped (clavate). Aloe maculata has distinctly flat-topped racemes.

• kegrilovessmu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My head is spinning! Holy Aloe. There's some really pretty plants there. I like a lot of those better than what I have. I'm going to completely redo what is already in my backyard, I may have to add some of those. Are those all your plants?

Grabmebymyhandle... I found that out the hard way yesterday. I was trying to be careful, but I got stuck anyways =/ Ouch.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Someone on another web site had some comments about this not being a collection of 'maculate' aloes, just spotted ones. .picky picky picky. Maculate means spotted, but I understand what he means. The Somalian spotted species are often grouped differently as are many of the smaller spotted, or 'speckled' species. Either way, they are all spotted... and my point being that you CANT tell them apart in many cases by their looks.. you not only have to see their flowers, but also sometimes know where they came from (which is impossible in most cases). As bad as spotted aloes are, Haworthias are way worse, as they are identified with a strong emphasis upon where they originated... as their flowers are nearly all identical, and many species have a huge variety of appearances depending upon how they were grown and from which location they were collected. It is all a mystery to me.

• silentsurfer
    11 years ago

Wow!
    What an Amazing Collection!
    Thanks so much for posting those. such a great reference source,, :)

I picked up this (badly root-rotted) little gem from 'X'-mart the other day,
    ...hard to believe it wasnt pictured above!? lol
    nearest of yours here would seem to be the (Aloe somaliensis,, about 8 pics back) mine hasnt the teeth tho,,,??
    can i consider it a 'spotted'? what would i (you) call it to differentiate it from others?
    Thanks
    ss

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

is this a possible juvenna? it was a NOID, it's a trailing monstrosity, the canes are huge. it's very old.
    my very first post years ago was about it, but i had no camera then. this is just a few branches up close.

Sponsored
DeFalco Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Rated Residential Architect in Arlington, VA