Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuy415

Please help with ID of succulent- and care...

chuy415
10 years ago

Never seen one and had no label. Any help on ID and care would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. ;-)

Chuy

Comments (16)

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Oooh my Lord, that's gorgeous. Is that an Aeonium? Such a beauty.

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

Yes, an Aeonium. As I don't see any cilia (hairs) on leaf edges, I'll say it's a hybrid, with Aeonium tabuliforme as one parent.

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Teatree! I love it ;)
    Rosemarie- do you know what care it requires and if I can repot?

Thank you

Chuy

• wweidele
    10 years ago

Wow she's pretty g/l

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Aeoniums are fall/winter/spring growers, going dormant for the heat of summer. Best in morning sun/afternoon shade in OC. Easy plants, just watch for scale/aphids, protect from snails/slugs. Happy in the ground if the soil is quick to drain and not overwatered. Water very little in summer dormancy, and expect them to look unhappy then--but they wake up and bounce back every fall.

The original rosette dies after blooming, but usually there are offsets waiting to take the original's place, and often the stem of the bloomed-out rosette will sprout new rosettes when you cut off the bloomed-out portion. They'll grow from seed pretty easily as well.

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you hoovb- such great information for the OC climate ;). I will try my best to care for it the best I can. How many hours in the morning would be enough not to burn it? Also, can I pot it up in a pot rather than in ground? It already has a few rosettes and not sure if I should give it a new home yet or not.

Chuy

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks wweidele! Exactly why she came home with me- she is very pretty! Lol

Chuy

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

I'm not an expert on this, but just bought one similar (no tag)-moved it away from side of building where it had shade part of day. Came home after weekend away to find some of the leaves burned.

I believe it would be fine to repot it.

Great advice by Hoovb, who keeps an awesome garden (as seen on her blog)!!

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Rosemarie- I've been reading on caring for tabuliforme and mostly shade is what most sites say with some indirect light.
    A friend wants one if the little rosettes that it has- but not sure if it will hurt it.
    Does anyone know if it's ok to pinch a rosette off (there's about 4 underneath)??

Thank you

Chuy

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

Cutting off a rosette will not hurt it. I would cut (not pinch) a pup, giving it a couple inches of stem (cut close to the trunk, if not much stem). Always nice to share with others!

Not sure answered already...do your leaves have any cilia on the edges?

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rose- will try to cut, since the succulent sits and grows very low, I will try and cut off a rosette. They are pretty tight under it.
    I see very tiny small cilia, only noticeable when looking very closely to it.
    Will post a close up pic of it.

Chuy

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry- not quite sure how to post multiple pics ;-). Here's one of the rosettes.

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, MY! That's a bonus pot!! :)

Nice plants!

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sure is Camellia1!!! Lol. Very pleased with this purchase

Chuy

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Yay! Finally got my laptop back up & running (after 3 wks!)

My plant that is like yours...I believe has A. tabuliforme as a parent. I've been scouring my Aeonium book for a match, but so far none...that is a "for sure" species.

Here, showing many rosettes, the burned leaves & one hanging rosette I was cleaning off dead leaves from, broke away easily.
    Clcik for larger view:

{{gwi:688165}} {{gwi:688167}}

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice Rosemarie- looks like mine ;-).
    A good friend of mine was at a nursery in Irvine today and got me another. I'm so excited. He had never seen them before either. Yours looks very green and healthy. Thanks for sharing.

Chuy