Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angiec_gw

'Christ in the Manger' plant

angiec
15 years ago

Hello again from NE Tenn. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this plant or not.

I am a dog groomer and one of my clients gave me a piece of her plant she calls "Christ in the Manger" last year. It was growing great for a long time, but I moved and the leaves turned brown at the end & dried up, but just on the ends. It now has these long, skinny shoots with what looks like roots coming out of them all over the pot. Does this mean I need to re-pot it into something bigger? I hate to lose this plant, but at least I know where to get another one if I do. ;) It came from a plant my client has had for almost 25 years and hers is HUGE.

Angie

Comments (18)

• joscience
    15 years ago

I know that some people refer to Epiphyllum oxypetalum (Night Blooming Cereus or Dutchman's Pipe) as christ in the manger. You can look around and see if the pictures online match your plant.

Unfortunately, I don't grow these, and can't offer any advice on the care. One thing I will ask is if when you moved, the plant ended up in a much sunnier location. If so, it may have been sunburned...

• gardenbear1
    15 years ago

joscience, I think your right about it being a Oxy,this plant has been giving so many names its hard to keep up them.I grow Oxy and love the look when they get tall,are the roots coming out of the pot or off the plant? if off the plant there air roots mine get then when I keep them to long with out water they don't hurt the plant,if the rootd are coming out of the pot then it should be repotted,leaves turned brown at the end & dried up, but just on the ends. it sounds like its getting to much sun or its near heat and drying it out try moving it away for the sun or heat, try misting them it might help to keep the green and stop the drying out, I mist mine every morning, this all so helps keep the dust off the plant, I'm posting a pic of my 2yr old pot of cuttings in hopes it helps you ID your plant. these plants are easy to grow and care for.

Bear

{{gwi:489673}}

• angiec
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Bear,
    That's looks to be exactly what mine is. The roots are coming off the leaves, not out of the pot, so I'll start misting it. I moved it from the room I had it, into another room and it seems to be doing better, I didn't have it in the sun, just indirect sunlight, but the room it was in is rather warm. Thanks so much for the information. It doesn't seem to be drying out anymore, but there are still small areas on the ends where it was dried on the ends, should I just leave that or cut the brown ends off?

Angie

• gardenbear1
    15 years ago

Angie, I would cut off any dry ends just to make it look better and it may send new shoots of the cut ends, your Oxy will in time get very big and needs lots of room to grow, I keep mine top off (6ft) so I can move out to the shade house in the summer plus it gives me cuttings for new plants.enjoy your Oxy and in time you will have lots of blooms. here a pic. from the last spring I love the flower and staying up half the nigh waiting for it bloom is worth it

Bear

{{gwi:473019}}

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

Thanks , now I know the name as well. My label has been lost. Norma

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Nice Bear,

What a great shot, how lovely!

• JSMITH_SCTC_ORG
    13 years ago

i HAVE SEVERAL OF THESE STARTED BUT I CAN'T GET IT TO BLOOM I CAN REMEMBER MY GRANDMOTHER HAVING ONE AND IT BLOOMED. DO YOU DO ANYTHING TO HELP IT BLOOM?

• Feribah Morgan
    8 years ago

I'm looking to find one and not having much luck. Dose anyone have a idea? The name I know it as is baby Jesus plant.

• ga_star_2008
    8 years ago

Feribah logees has them for sale I love mine.Still waiting on a bloom tho good luck

• Kassi Rector
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Question? ? I got this same plant from my grandmother. It has been in her family for a really long time. It is beginning to turn yellow. Should I trim it up? Also how often should I water it? I don't want to give it too much or too little water

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    7 years ago

sd,

Those are additional leaves growing, but growing very poorly due to lack of sun. This is a tropical-type cactus which grows best in muted sun (its natural habitat is jungle, in the crotches of trees). Remove all of those from the plant, as they won't grow well and are taking energy from the main plant, and move the plant to stronger light (not full sun, mind).

• sdmcalister8
    7 years ago

Thank you so much! I've been wondering what to do with them. I have the plant in a room with two windows for the winter. Is there somewhere that would provide better conditions? LOL I know you don't know my house but trying to figure out where it what do best.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    7 years ago

A place of bright, mostly indirect light would be best.

• katherine earles
    6 years ago

Do you know how I could obtain this CHRIST IN A MANGER plant? My address is 498 salem church rd. Reidsville, N.C. 27320[katherine Earles] My email is earleskatherine@gmail.com

• katherine earles
    6 years ago

I loved this plant ,but one cold winter night I lost it.Thank you K.E.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Not really advisable to publish your name, address and email info directly on a public forum that anyone can get hold of. You would have been better to ask people to contact you via a private message using the facility here in the forum. If I were you I would delete the info from your thread. Internet personal safety is important and something we all need to be conscious of.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Katherine,

Have you tried nurseries local to you for it, asking for it by name?