Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kalanchoe thyrsiflora Flapjacks

Posted by nana8 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 1:02

I brought this large plant in for the Winter, and it is forming an array of seedheads. Will they germinate if I plant them in a succulent mix?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kalanchoe thyrsiflora Flapjacks

Picture(s) would be nice and helpful...

o

Kalanchoe 'Flapjacks' is K luciae, not thyrsiflora, by the way.

o

• Posted by mfyss w. Ill. (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 12:55

Seeds of Kalanchoe are, in my experience, very rare. The plants produce lots of flowers, but fertilization is unlikely. I hope that you give the many 'seeds' a chance and determine if they are fertile. I would guess that they will not germinate. Yale

o

I hope these pictures will open. Thanks for all your help, as far as the name on the tag from Proven Selections (Proven Winners selections) it lists and shows a picture of Flap Jack as Kalanchoe thyrsiflora. I am certainely no expert, just reading the tag. Oops the first picture is turned sideways.

o

what am I dong wrong?

o

seed pots first then the rest of the plant, sideways

o

• Posted by mfyss w. Ill. (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 15:01

If flower petals are bright yellow, it is K. thyrsiflora; if pale yellow with a rosy tint, it is K. luciae. Yale

o

Like Yale said...:D ...and those are not seed pods (as you posted earlier), but bloom buds! =) Hope they open for you indoors! Nice plant! Interesting, I have not seen buds on these with carpels on them as long as on yours!!

When mine were growing inflorescence (Kalanchoe luciae)~click for larger view:

o

those photos above are all of Kalanchoe luciae, not thyrsiflora. K thyrsiflora, as one can see from several previous threads on this site, is a very rare plant. I have never actually seen one offered for sale except at the Huntington, where they have several growing in their cactus garden. K luciae is a much more interesting and beautiful plant, though, so be glad you have what you have and not the much rarer but less interesting K thyrsiflora. mfyss is correct that the flowers of K thyrsiflora are yellow while those of K luciae are white... I just happened to photograph some of the Huntington's K thyrsifloras flowering last week

o

Caught some of their Kalanchoe luciaes in flower at the same time

o

Thanks so much for all the info. I
really never expected it to flower. What a surprise. It was nice in the full sun on the deck all Summer, and had a nice pink edge to the leaves. Now I am glad that I brought it in for the winter.

o

If one cuts the spent flower stalk off later after all is done with, The remaining plant will go into baby making mode and one will have many babies to spread around the all the suckers that grow off the base. I cut away several babies and left three that are growing very happily. This is before I cut the suckers off.

DSC_0134

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 3:11

This Kalanchoe is one I have great difficulty keeping alive through the winter here in Berkeley, it just doesn't like all the rain we get in winter in combination with the cooler temperatures. Usually starts rotting out on me well before it even starts to flirt with any frosts. I wish I had a good spot to shelter it from the rains, but unfortunately that valuable real estate is given over to orchids and other more valuable plants...

o

Our winters are usually dry but too cold so I bring it in on the few days and nights that it is.. It has to live in a pot. I guess you need to have it protected from the rain. Perfection is not at hand. Would planting it on a hillside or on a mound make a difference? here, It will live to about 28 unharmed but below that the leaves get harmed, It will come back from the roots till about 26. Nice to know about the cold wwet. That will happen together on a rare occasion. I love to leave them outside for the winter glory. I whish that I would bare up to stress with such grace.

DSC_0114

o

OMG, be still my heart, that is absolutely gorgeous, if mine even gets close to that color I'll be a happy camper.

Annette

o

Gosh, Wanton, really stunningly beautiful colors, thanks for the Show!!

o

The setting winter sun did set it on fire. We are having a glorious fall. Warm and dry. Not great on the water table but good for my succulents.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here