Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nana8_gw

Kalanchoe thyrsiflora Flapjacks

nana8
11 years ago

I brought this large plant in for the Winter, and it is forming an array of seedheads. Will they germinate if I plant them in a succulent mix?

Comments (17)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Picture(s) would be nice and helpful...

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Kalanchoe 'Flapjacks' is K luciae, not thyrsiflora, by the way.

• mfyss
    11 years ago

Seeds of Kalanchoe are, in my experience, very rare. The plants produce lots of flowers, but fertilization is unlikely. I hope that you give the many 'seeds' a chance and determine if they are fertile. I would guess that they will not germinate. Yale

• nana8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hope these pictures will open. Thanks for all your help, as far as the name on the tag from Proven Selections (Proven Winners selections) it lists and shows a picture of Flap Jack as Kalanchoe thyrsiflora. I am certainely no expert, just reading the tag. Oops the first picture is turned sideways.

• nana8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

what am I dong wrong?

• nana8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

seed pots first then the rest of the plant, sideways

• mfyss
    11 years ago

If flower petals are bright yellow, it is K. thyrsiflora; if pale yellow with a rosy tint, it is K. luciae. Yale

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

Like Yale said...:D ...and those are not seed pods (as you posted earlier), but bloom buds! =) Hope they open for you indoors! Nice plant! Interesting, I have not seen buds on these with carpels on them as long as on yours!!

When mine were growing inflorescence (Kalanchoe luciae)~click for larger view:

{{gwi:330663}} {{gwi:330664}}

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

those photos above are all of Kalanchoe luciae, not thyrsiflora. K thyrsiflora, as one can see from several previous threads on this site, is a very rare plant. I have never actually seen one offered for sale except at the Huntington, where they have several growing in their cactus garden. K luciae is a much more interesting and beautiful plant, though, so be glad you have what you have and not the much rarer but less interesting K thyrsiflora. mfyss is correct that the flowers of K thyrsiflora are yellow while those of K luciae are white... I just happened to photograph some of the Huntington's K thyrsifloras flowering last week

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Caught some of their Kalanchoe luciaes in flower at the same time

• nana8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for all the info. I
    really never expected it to flower. What a surprise. It was nice in the full sun on the deck all Summer, and had a nice pink edge to the leaves. Now I am glad that I brought it in for the winter.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

If one cuts the spent flower stalk off later after all is done with, The remaining plant will go into baby making mode and one will have many babies to spread around the all the suckers that grow off the base. I cut away several babies and left three that are growing very happily. This is before I cut the suckers off.

{{gwi:539300}}

• bahia
    11 years ago

This Kalanchoe is one I have great difficulty keeping alive through the winter here in Berkeley, it just doesn't like all the rain we get in winter in combination with the cooler temperatures. Usually starts rotting out on me well before it even starts to flirt with any frosts. I wish I had a good spot to shelter it from the rains, but unfortunately that valuable real estate is given over to orchids and other more valuable plants...

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

OMG, be still my heart, that is absolutely gorgeous, if mine even gets close to that color I'll be a happy camper.

Annette

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Gosh, Wanton, really stunningly beautiful colors, thanks for the Show!!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

The setting winter sun did set it on fire. We are having a glorious fall. Warm and dry. Not great on the water table but good for my succulents.