Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gibbaeum

Posted by Beachplants Z11 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 1:04

Just a quick pic of my G. heathii flowering.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gibbaeum

This is supposed to be G. heathii also (don't know for sure, what it was sold as). It seems like it is going to flower also even thou I'm 40 degrees north latitude and going into winter, and you are about 30 south latitude I think. Or is it growing new leaves again this year? Not sure what that means.

o

Rian,

Congratulations on the pup-to-be to your wife and you, and for a white flower, that's pretty nice.

Noki,

Those look like a new set of leaves coming.

o

Thanks for the nice comment Cactusmc,

Noki, looks like new leaves to me too! Plant looks healthy, very nice job!

o

Thanks.

Now I did have one autumn Mesemb flower this morning. Fenestraria.

o

Very nice! They are very willing to flower.

o

Ignorant question... is there any general trend as to which season Mesembs flower, which one can use to predict when potted plants will grow? If they flower in Autumn when do they grow? If they flower in Spring?

How about for Haworthia, Gasteria, Aloes, etc.

o

Some flower at the end of their cycle, some like at the beginning, you do get mesembs flowering sometimes at odd times. It depends on their natural conditions, summer rainfall or winter rainfall or both in nature. Aloes are similar and their distribution wide throughout Africa. Grass aloes mostly flower in Summer, many others like spotted versions in winter. Most Haworthias are winter rainfall and rest in summer. So they flower towards late winter - spring, but some earlier.

Most plants grow well in Autumn/Spring and slow down in at least cold, darkest part of winter or hottest summer period.

o

There is one thing I should mention about Gibbaeum and that is they don't like it too hot. They much prefer cooler weather and they must have plenty of light in the winter.
If you can keep to approx. 10ºC in the winter they will be much happier.

o

Well that explains why they never live in my climate. The only mesembs I grow anymore are titanopsis, faucaria and haworthia. The others just don't grow here.

o

Well that explains why they never live in my climate. The only mesembs I grow anymore are titanopsis, faucaria and haworthia. The others just don't grow here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here