Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachplants

Gibbaeum

Beachplants
11 years ago

Just a quick pic of my G. heathii flowering.

Comments (10)

• noki
    11 years ago

This is supposed to be G. heathii also (don't know for sure, what it was sold as). It seems like it is going to flower also even thou I'm 40 degrees north latitude and going into winter, and you are about 30 south latitude I think. Or is it growing new leaves again this year? Not sure what that means.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Rian,

Congratulations on the pup-to-be to your wife and you, and for a white flower, that's pretty nice.

Noki,

Those look like a new set of leaves coming.

• Beachplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the nice comment Cactusmc,

Noki, looks like new leaves to me too! Plant looks healthy, very nice job!

• noki
    11 years ago

Thanks.

Now I did have one autumn Mesemb flower this morning. Fenestraria.

• Beachplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very nice! They are very willing to flower.

• noki
    11 years ago

Ignorant question... is there any general trend as to which season Mesembs flower, which one can use to predict when potted plants will grow? If they flower in Autumn when do they grow? If they flower in Spring?

How about for Haworthia, Gasteria, Aloes, etc.

• Beachplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some flower at the end of their cycle, some like at the beginning, you do get mesembs flowering sometimes at odd times. It depends on their natural conditions, summer rainfall or winter rainfall or both in nature. Aloes are similar and their distribution wide throughout Africa. Grass aloes mostly flower in Summer, many others like spotted versions in winter. Most Haworthias are winter rainfall and rest in summer. So they flower towards late winter - spring, but some earlier.

Most plants grow well in Autumn/Spring and slow down in at least cold, darkest part of winter or hottest summer period.

• savant
    9 years ago

There is one thing I should mention about Gibbaeum and that is they don't like it too hot. They much prefer cooler weather and they must have plenty of light in the winter.
    If you can keep to approx. 10úC in the winter they will be much happier.

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Well that explains why they never live in my climate. The only mesembs I grow anymore are titanopsis, faucaria and haworthia. The others just don't grow here.

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Well that explains why they never live in my climate. The only mesembs I grow anymore are titanopsis, faucaria and haworthia. The others just don't grow here.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz