Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzrddr

Last autumn photos of this garden

lzrddr
11 years ago

Sadly, gonna have to move... and even more sadly, to a lower USDA zone... bummer. Will really miss this garden, despite its being dinky and way over-planted. Some plants will be coming with me... but most will have to be given away or left behind.

Comments (25)

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think most of the Yuccas will survive in the new climate, and a few of the Agaves.. .but not too many of the aloes...

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aloe scholleri and friends will have to find new homes.

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This Aloe volkensii is supposed to grow to be the world's tallest Aloe (40')... hoping to find a local home for this that I can revisit to see that happen.

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

next garden I will be sure not to plant things so close to the walkway so I don't get so many nasty notes from the mailman.

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And am definitely not going to plant things so close together (not sure what things will survive this new high desert climate)

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Will hate having to leave these guys behind

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Hey Geoff,

I'm sorry to hear that you have to leave so many of your plants behind. I've followed your posts for quite a while and know you have a great many plants spread about. I know how hard it can be moving all of that and pulling things out of the ground, I feel for ya'.

I'm in Ventura, not too far from you. I would be thrilled and consider it an honor to take on some of your Aloes and anything else that won't make the move. I don't have unlimited space but I'm sure I can move some things around. You would be welcome to visit your plants anytime as I am not planning on leaving this climate.

Send me a message if you'd like to arrange a visit.

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Matter of fact, I'm really bummed for you. I know your efforts have been great and I can only imagine what it might feel like to begin to separate your plant family.

I have to say, I respect your humility and your ability to keep it cool in a pained situation.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Geoff,
    Wow, you have such a beautiful garden, it's sad to see that you will have to break it up and leave some behind. :(

Planto

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sort of getting used to it in a way... this is my second garden in 20 years... lost last one to a divorce- that one was WAY more work than this last one (completely planted and landscaped by hand 3/4 acres... this one is a fraction of that size... that one I also lost a LOT of really nice, old and very expensive cycads.. .this one at least I will not be leaving some super old, or costly plants behind (at least without trying to be able to sell some first).

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Geoff,
    Well, at least you are finding ways to make it work the best you can. Hopefully the next owner of your residence is as into C&S as you are.

Planto

• bahia
    11 years ago

Just curious where your new location will be, and what Sunset zone? I'm assuming still in California? It must be difficult to contemplate dismantling your garden, but it does look like selling things off is in your own best interest, as no doubt a future owner will not be likely to want so many succulents all crammed in together. (Unless you've already arranged to sell the house/garden to another obsessed collector type!)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Best wishes for a new garden that is even more beautiful. What does the mailman know, anyway?

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

Ouch, sorry about the lose of your first one. I would be completely heart broken! Hope that doesnt happen to me...

This garden is also incredibly beautiful, and sorry you have to leave! Nice mature and fluffy... id take some of off your hands, but you live a bit far from me... Any particular reason why you have to move?

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    11 years ago

Sorry about the move Palmbob(I always liked that pseudo!)Maybe you will find much more room in the desert? A new adventure of another zone? At least its warm and dry. Here in the big city-as in ALL the bay area,I find myself fighting midnight thieves,vandals, and each one I ever caught seemed dumb as a rock. The ones I didn't-probably more of the same.
    Take some solace you might be able to keep nice plants in nice pots in your front garden with no worries.

11 years ago

And the weekend mailman complains the Howea or C.costarica fronds "poke him in the eyes" too. My regular postman-Oscar is from Guatamala..he likes the look!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

My condolences, as well....
    but wow, what a garden you created!

Josh

• pensacolarobin
    11 years ago

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :( :( :(

• Enterotoxigenic00
    11 years ago

Love your garden. Quite beautiful and peaceful. I'm sure you worked very hard on it.
    Did you say you're moving to the high desert? In Calif? I am in the high desert of Calif.
    Just about all the plants you have shown grow just fine here, at least in our yard even in 105 heat.
    If you're close by and need help with plants let me know...hubby is use to it...such a good guy.
    Here the mail person hands out compliments instead of complaints.
    Is that a MOM in your last picture?
    Wishing you the easiest of moves.

• linda_denman_island
    11 years ago

I love your garden too. It has such a wonderful variety of plants. I'm sorry you have to move.

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am moving to a zone 9a/8b... supposed to freeze pretty substantially there every year so I doubt most of these plants will make it. It supposedly often snows there (right near Palmdale). The heat will not be a problem as it gets very hot here (120F a few years ago) so most of these plants could handily anything the desert can toss at it there. We will be living on a high hill, though, so I am still hoping that somehow the microclimate will be in our favor (all cold air will drain down the hill?). The winds are horrific , though... . Not too many interesting plants in the neighborhoods as far as I can see. But then there are not too many interesting plants in my current neighborhood, either.

11 years ago

In Sunset zones your going from 19 to z11 "intermediate to high desert". I think with your knowledge and experience the locals will learn a lot. Hopefully,catch on what to plant also.

• Enterotoxigenic00
    11 years ago

! We're close. Temp. has occasionally reached 110 or so.
    Snow happens, makes everything look so clean.
    Freezing temps at night have already taken place.
    Freezing temps can continue until March and even April.
    Winds can be a bear and we get little (sometimes big) dirt devils.
    So fun to see kids try to outrun them.
    We moved from an area where kids could not go outside.
    Been here over 20 yrs. older neighborhood built in the 50's.
    Great neighbors, everyone knows everyone and their kids.

• pensacolarobin
    11 years ago

Isn't there some kind of garden show that can visit and document your garden before you move? At the very least post a video walk through it and link to it/youtube it.I always wondered how it was set up.Please document the new garden .I need photos. Some of us need Haugen Daus, Ted Levine, and your garden to get by in life. I hope you will take before and after photos of the new one. I wish you peace and good fortune in your new home.Later.

• 123Greta
    11 years ago

That's too bad, Lzrddr. As far as your garden... wow! Absolutely fantastic!

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County