Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wonderweasel82

Desert Rose (Adenium Obesum) Winter care?

WonderWeasel
12 years ago

Hello--

This past winter, I received Desert Rose (adenium obesum) seeds in a trade. I now have a plant that is about 1.5 feet tall and thriving.

Unfortunately, I live in zone 6a/5b, and cannot leave the plant outside year-round. I have been reading online about putting the plant into dormancy. I currently have it under 2 26-watt cool white compact fluorescent bulbs in a room that stays about 55-60 degrees. The plant has begun defoliating (as expected), and the stalk still looks healthy. My question is will the light bulbs be sufficient enough to keep the plant alive through dormancy until it can be placed back outside, or is there another method I should be using to care for the plant during the winter? Thanks for any and all help/suggestions!

--Jordan

Comments (18)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Jordan,

I'd only guess so, never having had them as babies. Since they're in their expected dormancy, however, I'd think that would be enough light until February / March.

• Beachplants
    12 years ago

My one-year olds never lost their leaves through the winter, but they are still pretty young and we have mild winters. I think you are on the right track anyway. The older plants did go into dormancy and I waited for signs of life before I watered again.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Jordan. Did you graft the seedling?
    Not that it makes a difference, just curious.

You said you received seeds this winter, and now have an 1.5' tall.

I'm assuming your large Adenium isn't from the seeds, right? Or is it?

Beachplants. You said, when your older Adeniums go into dormancy, you wait to water for signs of life.

What's the longest you didn't water? Also, are they in larger containers? Thanks, Toni

• WonderWeasel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hopefulauthor: The plant isn't a graft. I received the seeds at the end of winter last year and planted them in February.

• Beachplants
    12 years ago

I would say about 3 months, but they got the inevitable topsoil sip here and there, the babies (1year) I kept watering as regular because they where still in leaf. There are some guys here that are very much into Adeniums and much more experienced than me.

• WonderWeasel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I left it outdoors for a couple of hours each night when it dipped into the mid 40s here. I think that may have kicked it into dormant mode. It also started to shed leaves before I brought it indoors for the long haul. Thanks for all help guys/ladies!

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I'm in 7a and have a number of adeniums. Some were started from seed and others I got as mature plants. Few of my seed grown ones went dormant the first year. As long as they have foliage I continue watering, but much less frequently then during the summer. Once dormant they get little or no water until spring. The majority eventually do go dormant but I have a couple that hang onto their foliage year round. Some of my dormant adeniums are stored in the basement and get almost no light. I don't see any difference between those and the ones that are stored under grow lights once they start putting out new growth. I do move all of them back to the greenhouse in April. 1.5' is tall for a plant less then a year old. Even the seedlings I don't pinch back don't get that tall in less then a year.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Karen, you 'sort of' answered a question that has been troubling me for years.

Some Adeniums lose most of their leaves, others are donned in green throughout winter.

My question. Do Adeniums that are dormant need any light? Can they be set back, 8-10' from a west window, receiving very low light or will they die?

My larger Adeniums are taking quite a bit of space. If they would survive, from Now-Jan/Feb, I can switch other plants that need light w/Adeniums.

Maybe I should start a new thread..Thanks, Toni

• WonderWeasel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a picture I took of it back in October. I just measured it, and it is sitting at approximately 17.5 inches now. http://www.flickr.com/photos/70820818@N08/6401811781/

• WonderWeasel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:689241}}

• WonderWeasel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Finally got a picture to post correctly lol... I guess my next question would be since it is a first-year plant, should I try to prevent it from going dormant? Will the caudex be too small to survive an extended drought? And is there anything I can do besides grow lights that will keep it alive in the winter (i.e. are the 26-watt "cool white" CFL bulbs sufficient to keep an active plant going throughout the winter? Sorry if some of this sounds like a broken record, but it seems like the more I find out about this plant, the more questions I have.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Toni if dormant they don't need light. There's nothing to carry on photosynthesis. I keep almost all my dormant plants in dim to dark areas.

WonderWeasel your plant should be fine if it goes dormant. If it doesn't just make sure that you don't over water it. Some (most) of mine go dormant and others don't and all are in the same conditions during the growing season.

• radovan
    12 years ago

I brought in my adeniums in the 1st half of October.
    some older ones lost their leaves, not young ones.
    The older ones just started blooming again, no dormancy for my Adeniums. I keep them at the regular house temperature and whatever sunlight they get through the window. I could say my Adeniums are blooming throughout the year. no fancy (?) just normal=regular adeniums.
    I am not interested in flowers, I just like caudexes but somehow I get flowers but caudex does not seem to grow as fast as I would like it, I might be mean:-)
    i live in Ontario Kanada.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Hi Karen!!!

My Adeniums are all inside since early November and they have dropped a few leaves, moreso than during the normal growing season. They all are still active and they are blooming as well. I do have them under lights and when they finally do show signs of going dormant, i will then put them aside and let them rest along with my Plumeria. I do give them less water in the winter, but they do get more attention then the Plumeria during the dormant cycle.

Sounds good radovan!! Congratulations on having blooms up in Canada!! That is wonderful!!! : )

Take care everyone,

Laura

• radovan
    12 years ago

Thank you very much Laura.

• WonderWeasel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

karyn, radovan, and laura: you made me feel a lot better about my plant! It has dropped quite a few leaves along the main stalk, but the big cluster of new leaves at the top of the stalk continue to grow. The bloom spikes (that can be seen on the caudex in the picture above) are also still getting bigger. Thanks again to everyone for all the help/advice!

• Kat-845
    9 years ago

I've been reading many of the helpful hints and thank you all. My question would be a 'nutshell' version of wintering one in NY. It's approximately 2 1/2 ' tall with beautiful flowers each summer, outside. Inside, over the winter most leaves turn brown and drop off, do I back off water and light? Sometimes by Spring it's almost leaf-less!! Thanks :-)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

You back off water, to once a month, approximately, and only a little bit then. When it starts leafing out, it's time to start water regularly again. Keep in as much light as you can.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths