Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinpla

Where do you buy rare plants online?

robinpla
11 years ago

What are you favorite internet resources for buying plants? I have a long wishlist of plants that ebay seems to fail me on :) Just wondering if you know of any good sellers online. Thanks.

Comments (18)

• JoeCaudex
    11 years ago

Being in the UK I only have ebay as my main option. There is a site based in Europe called Succulent Tissue Culture. I think they grow succulents from tiny tissue samples and it's all very sciencey!

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

I love Arid Lands, I am lucky enough to be able to go shop there in person, and they have online shopping available too. Another great place is Miles2go.

JoJo

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago
  • cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Rare as in rare (and expensive)?

A couple of places come to mind:

http://www.rare-succulents.com/

is where I would go if I had 9K or so in disposable income for a day or so to spend.

I've never ordered from them, but they look to have nice plants at a superior price:

www.miniatree.com

and of course The Great Petaluma Desert deserves equal spacing with the first recommendation - some plants have they!

www.gpdesert.com

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Charris : There are some nicely established plants found on all of your provided links.
    If Robin is meaning lower budget rare or not as established rare www.mesagardens.com comes to mind.

Would also like to add a small plug for Steve Hammer who doesn't have an order online page but often does some sales by emailing..

• Ron4310
    11 years ago

Anywhere to buy on line in Canada besides Valley Succulents?

11 years ago

mr2,

Quite right - I was equating rare with expensive, which is true but can be not true.

Another nursery (for the wee Agaves, and big ones too, as well as bulbs, bulbs, bulbs) is Starr Nursery. He's got a new Agave book which I will get next year (I would have gotten it this year but someone forgot it).

Here is a link that might be useful: Agave Starrs

• robinpla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sweet everybody!! I have bookmarked them all and even managed to knock off two plants on my wishlist at Arid Lands :) Rare Succulents is a dangerous website!! But I am more interested in young rare plants so I will stay away from that website :) And by rare I mean plants that you can't really buy at normal nurseries or Home Depot :)

Thanks everybody
    /Robin

11 years ago

Ron,

Annette and Linda from the Island know of a few places in Vancouver, but I personally don't know of any others. However, there are a number of Canadian online nurseries that feature alpines, but if you're looking for Ariocarpus or Adromischus I fear you may be out of luck. On the bright side, Kelowna's not that far from the border...

11 years ago

Aha, here we go, but you'll have to wait until April 2013.

In Burnaby

http://www.wigplants.com/

There are others, so I hope the ladies can lead you to the promised land.

• Ron4310
    11 years ago

I have ordered plants from the U.S. and had them sent to my family in Walla Walla and then pick them up when we go down there. I did get a few when I was in California last summer. In fact I "borrowed" a piece of Crassula Ovata from along the city sidewalk in Morro Bay.

• linda_denman_island
    11 years ago

Ron, Phoenix Perennials might be worth looking at if you're into agaves, yuccas, and sedums. They started doing mail order a year or two ago. The owner is a great guy and I suspect he will increase the selection of agaves over time. I ordered from Plants Delights once before and am tempted to do so again this year, but, of course, it gets expensive when ordering from Canada.

I finally orderd a couple of plants from Jamie at Valley Succulents, who is also great to deal with, but will pick the plants up in Comox in the spring. Finally have (well almost) Aloe plicatilis and Sedum palmeri Jeff! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Phoenix Perennials

11 years ago

Linda,

Another reason for an island visit - Jamie's the gentleman from whom I got my Agave guadalajarana and Cotyledon undulata, from which you got the first cutting and Colleen will get the second.

{{gwi:543826}}

• linda_denman_island
    11 years ago

Jeff, I love it. The Cotyledon and all the plants sent are looking good - everything has good roots except for one of the aeoniums, but that's just a matter of time. I hope the plants that went your way are okay. I wish Jamie had ovatifolia!

11 years ago

They are OK, Linda, but there's not a lot of movement on the plant front (I'm hoping those little Opuntia pads are rooting as we speak). Now I want all Cotyledons, at least all of the funky ones.

• linda_denman_island
    11 years ago

Hopefully, everything takes off in the spring. I have the narrow leafed form - I think it's longifolia - but you have that one already, right? Maybe that doesn't classify as funky, but I really like it.

11 years ago

That one's most certainly part of the funky club.

• linda_denman_island
    11 years ago

Well if you don't have one already you will get one.:-)