Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aztcqn

Caved in cactus

aztcqn
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

Cold weather setting in and I found this!!!

I'm sure it lost roots and dehydrated. I'm still figuring out the right watering for them in these small pots. Hot weather confused me as I didn't want to over water, yet, seemed they needed water more than twice a week. I think I messed up on watering this one.

It is not soft rot. It is hard where it's discolored.
My question is how can I save it as it's going dormant?

Comments (22)

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

If it were mine, I would toss it and start over, as I can't see how it would recover to the point of looking nice.

Christopher

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

If it is hard , it might be sun scorch but I would be tempted to toss it. Is the growth point effected? Is that a Schick echinopsis hybrid? Did you have it out in full blistering sun. Many of these don't want full sun, they need a bit of protection for lots of the day especially when you first get it. They are grown in somewhat shaded greenhouses. One always needs to protect them with cardboard or something when you first get them. I give mine morning sun in Texas till about 1. I never water it when the sun is shining on them. the magnified water will burn them.

If I continued to try to grow it , I would be growing it for the babe it would pup later down the line, BUt it might all be food naught.

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aah,
    It's under a patio with one hole in the roof, so it get's no more than a couple hours of morning/ mid day light. It's in a tray with 15 others that look good. I know some are more sensitive than others. It is a Schick. I will consider lopping off the bad parts and see if I can root the cap for pups. Any advice on doing this in winter/ resting phase?

I think where I messed up is in watering. :[
    Probably did water in sunlight, burned it than didn't have the right schedule and it began to dry out before next watering. I hate heat waves. I'm never sure how much is too much.
    Thanks for responses and insight.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 21:37

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Your cactus is best composted. We've all done it at one time or another, so you've plenty of company.

The myth of one shouldn't water when it's sunny is utter balderdash, but it keeps replicating like rabbits in Australia.

It's not when you water during the day, although admittedly that does matter a little, it's when during a season / what's it growing in / what other environmental conditions are there that matters most and need some adjustment for your next cactus to flower and pup.

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

Agreed!
    Magnified light thru water droplets just doesn't burn plants!

I'm not gunna say it's impossible, but it just doesn't work that way!

Test with a magnifying glass, lay it flat, directly on a surface with the glass touching said surface. It won't be magnified!
    The magnifier must be lifted to its focal point to focus the light!

The only way this could ever happen is with light shining though a water droplet laterally and then focusing on the plant in a horizontal line, this would almost never happen as the suns intensity is greatly diminished when it's low in the sky, If that makes sense!
    Also, a 20x lens that is the size if a water droplet could scarcely gather enough light to focus and generate any heat at all!

I'm gunna guess that the damage will soon turn to soft rot and consume what remains of your plant, but nothing lost, you might as well try!

If you have a rank opuntia handy, you might try your hand at grafting, no idea if a tubercle graft might work or not...

Best of luck!
    As mentioned, your in good company!

aztcqn thanked grabmebymyhandle
  • aztcqn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much everyone. I appreciate the advice. So, will let the cactus alone, the green crown part is still green.

I'm a big newb in growing echinopsis and am worried I'll kill them with the wrong watering in winter.
    With the other cacti, I notice a few are shriveling a bit, but,not rotting. I read this is normal for winter, but not sure how much water to give when nights are 50's and below. I am watering once every week and a half.

How to tell when the next watering is due?

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

I do not water my cacti all winter, but then, they are indoors.

Christopher

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi kaktuckris,

Where do you grow? Do you maintain a consistent temperature?

I'm in Southern California.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

I am in New Hampshire, Keep them by mostly south facing windows. Room temp is constant, though being close to the windows I am sure there is some fluctuation in that small area especially on the coldest nights.

As I said with your plant, if it were mine, I would toss it...I like my plants to look pleasing to my eye, and I don't see this with your plant. I wouldn't have the patience to wait for a possible pup, but that is just me. Good luck in any case.

Christopher

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Over a year later (yeah, had nothin' to lose) and Icarus has produced a beautifully shaped prickly pup!!! Glad I gave it a chance. Icarus is unavailable from the Huntington ATM and it produces a beautiful flower.
    Me happy and I've acquired a new wrinkle in my brain regarding echinopsis.
    :D

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

I have to admit, looking at the plant above, I would have predicted ultimate death. I can't believe it made it! Well done. :)

aztcqn thanked Danielle Rose
  • cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

az, I'm glad you didn't listen to me - that cactus done Lazarused!

aztcqn thanked cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Hats off to you! I guess it is that southern California magical environment. So healing. Its in succulent heaven.

aztcqn thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • aztcqn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I figured as long as it stayed green it was planning something, even if over a year in that shape. But, the color looks healthy and I suppose it still has viable roots. Am fertilizing lightly with water soluble and tossed in a bit of Nutricote to support the pup growth.

• Six Silver
    9 years ago

Beautiful cactus — I'm glad you were able to save it :)

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, thank you SS.

This little hunchback momma's baby will eventually produce this:
    Echinopsis Hybrid Schick Icarus

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, no mater what we do, busy or not, time passes. My patience and hope have been happily rewarded.
    3 years after that 1st pup appeared, and despite a scourge of spider mites through my collection it survived. Amazing power of survival by design. That collapsed part continued to feed it's pup quite contentedly. I'm glad I waited. :]

• SpanishFly - (Mediterranean)
    5 years ago

Well done aztqcn - I have also had virtually decomposed plants recover, usually after most dramatic surgery.

This Lophophora williamsii triple header was very close to the compost heap, almost nothing left after masses of rot cut away, but it bounced back.

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm amazed at their recovery powers once the assault is neutralized. Glad you've had great experience saving your plants, as well.

• gdinieontarioz5
    5 years ago

Great work, both of you! It must be such a good feeling.

aztcqn thanked gdinieontarioz5
  • aztcqn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks gd!
    It does. I see first hand that patience can lead to beautiful rewards. :]