Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerpoi

succulant help

flowerpoi
10 years ago

hi jut wondering of this looks healthy ,I think its doing alright not shure what type it is either , should it have more leaves then this ?
also the leaves are not think but not to thin , I am in the process of buying parts to make a new mix for my plants ,I water all my succulents one every month try to let them dry out before next watering but I think getting a new mix would help with the daring ,so my plants don't get root rot ,i recently just lost a echeveira in my first post this was down to root rot , but i have saved some leaves and left them to dry out over night is this longer enough to place them in soil,iv read up were people wait intill the get a lil bit of root on the end ,so hopefully by doing this i can begin a few new echerveria ,i just done want this to one do die on me.
Thanx

Comments (7)

• flowerpoi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

suculant in new potting mix i did today ,hope it does well

• flowerpoi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this is also my leaf cutting from my no longer echeveria is this correct it has got any root on it though .
    when i put my plants in to a new mix is it best to water them or wait ?

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

Definitely an echeveria. They generally have a tighter, shorter leaf rosette than your shows. Yours almost looks like a bonsai. It does not look unhealthy though, but there are some things that can cause one to grow like that, based on my own trial and error on echeveria. Too much water and they tend to lose leaves. They are a finicky genus when it comes to water and it can take some time ro work out their pattern. The echeveria leaves tend to get floppy when they need water. The fact your plant is growing upwards could mean that perhaps it isn't getting enough light and is stretching for it. However I think it is more likely that it is an older plant that's just been consistently overwatered for some time. Echeveria are finicky, but resilient, when it comes to overwatering. They don't usually die but it can mess them up pretty good. What I recommend is that you simply dehydrate the plant for a week or so, then severe the stem in half and discard the bottom half. Place the top half with the rosette in fresh and dry media(I use 2:1 perlite/sand when rooting, just preference) and put in shaded light conditions until roots form.

I have never actually attempted this method with an echeveria but I know they can be rooted in this way. The leaf pulling you pictured I am not sure about.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Yes, your plant is etiolated; not nearly enough sunlight. That is why the upper stem is so thin and the leaves are far apart. Next, after cutting the head off allow the stem to callous for a week or so before planting or you will run the risk of rotting the stem. Next, I don't discard the bottom stem because with enough sunlight it should grow new head(s) from the old leaf scars as pictured. While you can't appreciate it from the picture, the plant on the left has three or four new heads. Not all leaves will grow new plants. And if you don't remove the leaf correctly, it won't root.

• flowerpoi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you for the feed back much help ,didn't think i watered it that much but many i was, when i brought it from a baby they had fully grown ones swell which were tap at the steam then when thicker with the rosset on top but ,as you said i don't think mine were in the right light conditions

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Yes, cut it and callous before replanting.

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

Thank you for adding the callousing part. :) It's not required as long as the media is kept dry and the plant is ready to look for water, but it does help and does reduce chance of rot. Let us know how your echeveria turns out later on.