Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hookeelao

aeonium haworthii...

hookilau
9 years ago

So.

I recently got this a.haworthii and it's quite unkempt at the moment. I want to neaten it up a bit when I pot up. Roots are a tangle outside the bottom of the plastic nursery pot it's currently in.

I'm wondering if I should remove the aerial roots or keep them. I've been googling pics but only find reference to it's round habit.

I'm thinking I can take a cutting or 2 and root in a shallow-ish trough with some interesting larger rocks to take advantage of it's growth habit.

Still, not sure how to deal with mother plant. Please have a look at the slideshow for additional views. Ignore the pot, the plant is top heavy & the bottom of the pot rounded with roots, so it does not sit upright. The pot in the pictures is just to prop it up.

Suggestions welcome =)

Here is a link that might be useful: additional views

Comments (9)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I like the aerial roots. It adds character that a bonsai type arrangement my really accent with a rock and a more horizontal pot. I think one could work with the roots draped and maybe possibly they would sat to cling to the rock if it was an absorbent rock that was rough and had a bit of soil on the surface. Usually that amount of aerial roots mean a succulent is looking for light, stretching and sending out roots for support and nutrients. I have never grown aeoniums so I am talking out the side of my mouth..

• sueok_gw
    9 years ago

This is really a plant with potential! I really like it, but it looks uncomfortable, with such a root mass outside the pot. If you go to the houseplants forum, and search for instructions on root pruning by Tapla, I think you could figure out how to help this fellow be more comfy. Tapla is happy to help, and you can email him directly, if you want to.
    I could tell you what I would do, but I'm not an expert. :)
    Good luck! Please update us on your solution.
    Sue

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

This particular species, more than any other Aeonium species, is prone to aerial roots, perhaps because it's also one of the most diminutive / close-to-the-ground ones. I'd keep them, but I like a tangled web. It's a real grower, and those roots will help it grow more quickly with them than without them.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

This plant does have potential. Personally, I think she should go and check out Caudex's potted masterpieces where he uses the characteristics of a plant to advantage instead of trimming them away. What seems like a defect can be teased and formed into an element of aesthetic strength. Think of a banyan tree. I am not saying don't trim at all. I am just saying that be aware when you are cutting away and neatening up that what you might end up with is a bland soup without flavor.

• sueok_gw
    9 years ago

I was referring to the root mass on the bottom of the pot, if you look at the slideshow. :) I didn't know about Caudex. Thanks for that reference.
    Sue

• hookilau
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply =)

Some good ideas right here I never thought of!

A porous rock is a great idea and would work easily.

I thought about removing the aerial roots, but then figured it would end up looking too sterile. It's not like it has a large trunk or something that the tangle would be distracting.

And yes, I thought it looked uncomfortable in the plastic nursery pot too, had to be one of those 4" jammies -___-

When I went to re-pot, I split the pot into quarters at the rim & planned to just rip it down the split. The whole mass of roots that had grown outside & around the pot just popped off with the pot.

Since I had lost a bit of the root mass, & I had bare rooted the rest of the plant, there was still a good deal of roots. As a matter of fact, it was alllllll roots, very little bark left in the pot.

I decided to go with this pot for now, as I'd grown accustomed to seeing it in there. Besides, I didn't have a pot big enough to accommodate the remainder of the roots. I want this plant to grow a little while I have a chance to study it.

In went the gritty mix and on top of that mr. a. haworthii It looks none the worse for wear at this time, we'll see how things pan out in the coming weeks.

I found another crawling mealy on it yesterday =( Still working with the alcohol treatment, but ordered Bayer 3 in 1 just in case.

• hookilau
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another view

• hookilau
    Original Author
    9 years ago

soda can for scale

• sueok_gw
    9 years ago

It looks great! thanks for letting us see!
    Sue

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022